Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bill Davis custom in local gun store

Tampa-XD45

Trigger stop. Used to use tips off erasers on pencils, anything rubber to glue on the inside of the trigger guard. I'd buy that gun if it was an actual Davis but I think he might have sold the rib separately

Edited by underlug

Here's my Davis PPC revo for comparison. I bought it from the original owner, who hung out in Davis' shop and knew him well. I don't know if they're all so marked, but the the barrel on mine is marked

"manufactured by Davis Co, Sacramento, CA" on the left side, and the Davis emblem is marked on the right side of the barrel.

DavisPPCgun030.jpg

Yes - that's what it's for. A lot of guns had a cut off pencil eraser glued on the back of the trigger. Also at one time there was a rubber tipped setscrew you could get. You would drill and tap the trigger, screw in the setscrew, then adjust to suit. I never liked triggers with a hole in them as the threaded hole chewed away at the trigger finger on every shot.

Nice, I would buy that to go with my other Bill Davis Revolver. They shoot awesome, I have shot some amazing high round count groups with mine off my Ransom Rest.

I went to college in Sacramento and Bill moved his shop (from a different location in Sac) to the indoor range I shot at in the late 80's so I used to talk with him all the time. Mine is a well worn Mod 14 4 screw and I brought it into talk with Bill about it when I picked it up used from the original owner. He said it was definitely a gun he converted for someone (the guy was a Sherriff and shot PPC) because he said he only converted fixed sighted guns for sale and would never ruin a "perfectly good revolver that had adjustable sights" unless it was a conversion for a customer.

Neal in AZ

Question for you guys if you don't mind a quick hi-jack of this thread. The shop I work at is selling a collection of firearms for one of our longtime good customers (he's starting to liquidate before it becomes his wife's chore). He has a Bill Davis custom that he intends to sell and we are finding it difficult to provide what we think is a fair price for both him and prospective buyers. Its a model 15-3 nickel with a blue sight system. I've seen them listed/sold for $500-$875, any thoughts?

Edited by RevoWood123

Question for you guys if you don't mind a quick hi-jack of this thread. The shop I work at is selling a collection of firearms for one of our longtime good customers (he's starting to liquidate before it becomes his wife's chore). He has a Bill Davis custom that he intends to sell and we are finding it difficult to provide what we think is a fair price for both him and prospective buyers. Its a model 15-3 nickel with a blue sight system. I've seen them listed/sold for $500-$875, any thoughts?

You really have to see the gun to evaluate it. The amount of usage/use of non jacketed bullets in the after market barrel is critical

Yes - that's what it's for. A lot of guns had a cut off pencil eraser glued on the back of the trigger. Also at one time there was a rubber tipped setscrew you could get. You would drill and tap the trigger, screw in the setscrew, then adjust to suit. I never liked triggers with a hole in them as the threaded hole chewed away at the trigger finger on every shot.

Still available from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/small-hardware/trigger-stop-screws/trigger-stop-screws-prod22167.aspx

PPC revolvers are a hard sell to anyone other than a few hardcore Revo /PPC guys.

I traded for a Ruger Mk2 22 for one years ago (when PPC was still being shot) I had less than 275 bucks in it.

GREAT shooting revolver. but hard to sell.

All NRA Action Pistol (Bianchi) gear is a small niche market. However, someone who has one of these may want to try NRA AP since they already have the gun for it. If they are wanting to sell the gun there may be someone at a match who would want it.

You really have to see the gun to evaluate it. The amount of usage/use of non jacketed bullets in the after market barrel is critical

Bore looks good, guy said he primarily just shot lead wad-cutters through it, but he never really competed with it. Unsure about number of rounds. Gun looks solid, no visible rust/oxidation or flaking of the nickel finish. Normal cylinder ring from actually shooting the gun, some carbon /scorch marks as expected. Gun basically looks like the one the OP posted pics of, but nickel and has large wood grips.