Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help on improving my pistol shooting

Eric1231

I just shot my first 3 gun match and the pistol section killed me . We shot the same pistol section basically 3 times a propeller rack and a Texas star at 50ft. The plates were 8" and we were allowed 20 shots for both. I struggled all 3 times and usually had 2 left at the end. I grouped my gun at this range today and realized my groups are 6" for a 5 shot grouping. Until last month I was shooting a red dot on my xdm and my groupings were slightly better 3-4". What should I do to improve? I have access to range that I could practice at 2 times a week? Should I buy a some books? If so what books? There is also local pistol matches steel matched once a week and ipsc matches. My friend also suggested getting a glock 34 instead but I think it is me.

What is the best way to find an instructor

A couple of the local ranges have cw courses listed but nothing more advanced

Reach out to the USPSA match directors for instructor info.

Texas Star at 50'? Not the easiest stage out there so don't beat yourself up too much.

You've used used some pretty good hardware so I would guess you have more than a few rounds through them. If you have a good handle on the fundamentals, get as much practice as possible. Make it good quality practice hitting not only what you are good at but also what you are not so good at. For me this includes live fire, dry fire and airsoft.

If not so sure about the fundamentals, record some of your practice sessions. You can do this with live fire, dry fire and even air soft. Critique your performance (possibly post one or two and ask for comments).

And if you are not confident in your fundamentals, get the assistance of an instructor or possibly an experienced shooting buddy.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

my groups are 6" for a 5 shot grouping. Until last month I was shooting a red dot on my xdm and my groupings were slightly better 3-4".

If those are unsupported, standing groups - they're not too bad. :bow:

If they are supported, benched groups, then you should check

the ammo you're using - see if you can find ammo that will be

more accurate.

In addition to ammo, it could also be the trigger and/or the sights

you're currently using.

I know how to shoot pretty well, but I've had guns/sights/trigger/

ammo that would not shoot very well - when I changed to more

accurate ammo/gun/sights/trigger, I could shoot much better

than the equipment.

Once you've determined that your gun/ammo combo can shoot

2-3" groups at 50 feet (from a bench), the I'd use the Dot

Torture Drill as live fire practice, augmented by all the great

advice above. :cheers:

All the groupings were shot free handed. Lots of great advice. I am going to order a book or two I just haven't figured out which one. I am leaning towards a book by Ben or Steve. I will talk to the match director next time about a lesson or advice. Thanks for the advice so far.

Has anyone else tried shooting your pistol to see how it acts?

I have a M&P40 that was absolutely useless. I have numerous pistols that I shoot quite well with the exception of that one. I sent it back to S&W, and even though I bought it used, they warrantied it and replaced the barrel with o shipping charges to me. Now it's not quite as useless...but I really appreciate their time and effort to make it beter!

Put a target up your wall in your house. Leave your ammo in the other room ;). Work on lining up your sights, then keep the front sight crisp in your vision, then break the trigger making sure everything stays exactly where you had it, even if you have to pull the trigger very very slowly at first. Working on this with dry fire practice will build fantastic muscle memory and increase your accuracy greatly to where you have to apply much less focus and are still making better shots.

After working on this everyday for a week or so, go to the range and check your improvement with life fire. You will have made a big improvement.

Also make sure to just keep the pad of your finger on the trigger so your pull is consistent and that you aren't gripping so tight with your right hand that you cannot smoothly manipulate the trigger.

As far as hardware: a really good trigger job can go a long way but once you master the technique you should be able to pickup nearly any gun at shoot it accurately. A lighter trigger helps with speed considerably.

Have fun!!

Live fire more, dry fire more, shoot more matches, and get a coach. All good stuff. If you can find a group of friends who share the passion of shooting, and are willing to get better with you, the road gets a lot more fun.

my groups are 6" for a 5 shot grouping. Until last month I was shooting a red dot on my xdm and my groupings were slightly better 3-4".

more accurate.

you're currently using.

than the equipment.

don't wanna sound like a dick , but if I really try I'd do 3" group at 50' no problem with my Walther PPQ, probably better with competition gun.So I wouldn't say 6" groups are OK , something is off, considering he's "target shooting " not "action shooting"

more accurate.

you're currently using.

than the equipment.

don't wanna sound like a dick , but if I really try I'd do 3" group at 50' no problem with my Walther PPQ, probably better with competition gun.So I wouldn't say 6" groups are OK , something is off, considering he's "target shooting " not "action shooting"

I agree. Its only 50' and standing slow fire. 6" group is not that good. Need to work more to shrink it to 3" at least. Ymmv.