Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan Front Strap Mod

BASE772

Like most I love my Trojan but think the scallops on the front strap suck! ( Come on STI ) So I bought a 20 line per inch file and went for broke.

I had a couple spots were I got off a little but the end result is, I have some major grip on the front strap now. :)

Hit the back of the frame along the MSH just because I had the file. post-44117-0-99474900-1434887301_thumb.jpost-44117-0-65641500-1434887318_thumb.j

Big cajones!

Could you go any deeper on the front to get rid of the last of the scallops or do you think this is as far as it is safe to go?

I'd really like to give it a try, now that someone else has done it first

Big cajones!

Could you go any deeper on the front to get rid of the last of the scallops or do you think this is as far as it is safe to go?

I'd really like to give it a try, now that someone else has done it first

The file kind of bottoms out when you hit a certain depth. I didn't try to take any material off before I started. One would have to measure th thickness from the low spot on a scallop. I didn't have anyway to do that.

I just decided that function was more important than looks. Plan on getting the whole pistol Cerakoted soon so that might hide some if the underlying scallops.

You might try running the verticals all the way to the sides. On the frame next to the mainspring housing and also on the front, if you haven't already done so.

Looks better than the scallops.

:cheers:

Edited by Steve RA

You might try running the verticals all the way to the sides. On the frame next to the mainspring housing and also on the front, if you haven't already done so.

Looks better than the scallops.

:cheers:

I'm a little scared to try any more to it. The grip is actually better than I expected so will probably leave it as is.

This was the best thing I've done to my Trojan by far. Made a couple trips to the range with it since I worked on the front strap. It feels the same or even slightly better than a normal 20lpi checkering. Feels like a new gun. I just Perma Blued it for now.

One has to wonder why STI hasn't addressed the front scallops on the Trojan. Most if not all competitive shooter's hate it. And STI holds a pretty good chunk of the competitive market. How much more would it really cost to have the 20lpi checkering machined than the scallops? I'd pay $100.00 more for a Trojan with front strap checkering. (And a ambidextrous safety already installed)

Just my two cents.

Love the Trojan

post-44117-0-40561800-1435326165_thumb.j

Edited by BASE772

• 3 weeks later...

Update. After playing with some grip tape on my trigger guard I decided to checker it as well. Not a huge difference but it's another friction point that reminds me to grip the damn gun harder.

Tha Caspian trigger is also new. A harder grip forced my trigger finger a little farther into the trigger guard. The longer trigger helps.

post-44117-0-39205300-1436817621_thumb.j