Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perfect Optic for 10.5" patrol rifle in 5.56

RangerTrace

I know this isn't the place, but if you can direct me to some good articles written by real experts, I'd love to read them. I'm leaning towards the Aimpoint PRO but have always wanted an ACOG with the RMR on top.

This rifle will have everyday carry wear on it. In and out of a rifle lock and riding in one. I want/need something that can stand up to the beating.

Thanks for looking,

Trace

If its a Duty gun, Any Aimpoint or EO Tech would fit the bill nicely. my 14incher has a CompM4 sitting on top of it, but I've had I micro on it before and own several EO Techs, The reason the CompM4 stays on it is I keep it on all the time, and replacing a Double A battery is easier then a 2032CR or 123A

Trace, find a used Aimpoint Comp M4. They are tuff as nails and take a single AA battery that lasts 8 years. 2 MOA dot is really nice. I have used almost every Aimpoint out there and if I could only choose one it would be the Comp M4.

Trace, find a used Aimpoint Comp M4. They are tuff as nails and take a single AA battery that lasts 8 years. 2 MOA dot is really nice. I have used almost every Aimpoint out there and if I could only choose one it would be the Comp M4.

Have you looked at the new PRO model? I know there is a 5 year difference in the battery life, but other than that, it should be pretty tough/reliable for half the money, right? I've had two Aimpoints in the past and I was very happy with them. Does the M4 come with lens caps like the other ones?

We abused just about every available optic on my Unit (military) rifles. IMO the best balance of:

· weight

· durability

· flexibility

Is the Trijicon TR24 1-4X with the Green triangle:

· no batteries needed

· solid black reticle if the FO washes out

· lighter than a Aimpoint or Eotech and magnifier combo

If you can live with a little maintenance and want a BDC in your dials and reference hold offs in the reticle than the S&B Short Dot 1-4X with CQB reticle is the top of the food chain in combat optics. BDC dials are available for the 10.5” barrel to support M193, M855, & Mk262 / 75gr Hornady.

Trace, yes the CompM4 comes with everything you need, but its almost twice the cost of a Aimpoint PRO, From what I remember the Aimpoint pro's are M2's with updated electronics, There is nothing wrong with them at all, battery is a little harder to find but if you keep a supplement on hand you'll be fine. The advantage that the M4 has over the Pro is glass quality, Pro's have a slight blue tint to them.

Edited by DocMedic

Have you looked at the new PRO model? I know there is a 5 year difference in the battery life, but other than that, it should be pretty tough/reliable for half the money, right? I've had two Aimpoints in the past and I was very happy with them. Does the M4 come with lens caps like the other ones?

Yes, I bought new Pro's for my SWAT team. You can get a Pro for $380-$400ish. You can find a used Comp M4 for $500ish. I would buy a used Comp M4 over a new Pro. However, any Aimpoint will serve you well.

I currently use a couple T1's, Comp M4 and a Pro.

I've used aimpoint H1, PRO and EOTechs on duty rifles. Finally dropped the coin on a trijicon tr24 w/ green triangle as mentioned above... Hands down the best optic I've used. Put it in a larue mount (tho there are plenty of good options)..... It's excellent. Fast as a dot and able to be cranked up to 4x if needed. Do yourself a favor and at least test drive one before you go with a 1x dot. And for police work (relatively short rifle distances) the acog with rmr is way less versatile than the tr24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Aimpoint is nice if it works for you and has been around for a while. The red dots just don't work well for my eyes as I have a slight astigmatism so I need prescription glasses to use a dot but can't shoot irons with the prescriptions so it's one or the other. I like the vortex spitfire or the burris 1x which are both etched reticle a that illuminate so if batteries die you still have the reticle and it's very clear with no distortion at all

I talked to a couple of top 3 gun shooters yesterday and maybe a little surprisingly, got two different answers. Clint Upchurch leaned towards the Aimpoint and Taran was all about the TR24. If I thought "I" could shoot a 1X4 on 1 as good as I could a red dot, I would probably go with the TR24 and take my chances with the policy. FWIW, I have a Vortex Razor 1-6HD on my JP, and while I admittedly don't have a lot of rounds on it on 1 power, it definitely seems slower than a dot.

We abused just about every available optic on my Unit (military) rifles. IMO the best balance of:

· weight

· durability

· flexibility

Is the Trijicon TR24 1-4X with the Green triangle:

· no batteries needed

· solid black reticle if the FO washes out

· lighter than a Aimpoint or Eotech and magnifier combo

If you can live with a little maintenance and want a BDC in your dials and reference hold offs in the reticle than the S&B Short Dot 1-4X with CQB reticle is the top of the food chain in combat optics. BDC dials are available for the 10.5” barrel to support M193, M855, & Mk262 / 75gr Hornady.

Unfortunately, this is WAY out of my budget......

How are your eyes? Eotech if you're forty and using night vision. Aimpoints are good, but they can look like a bag of grapes if you have vision issues. 1MOA dot on Eotech gets you a headshot every time. I don't think you are going to find any articles by people actually doing this kind of work. Taran and Clint are good friends, but they don't do entry. They do three gun.