Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

scales

Any issues with it being battery powered? Or is there a wall wart power pack you can buy?

Any issues with it being battery powered? Or is there a wall wart power pack you can buy?

No issues so far. No wall wart available. Only pesky thing about it is the auto-shut off after 2 mins. However, what I have found, is that it's extremely accurate, repeating measurements between on/off cycles. It's also VERY sensitive to ANY breeze. You can literally lightly blow air towards the scale and see it register weight.

You could use a Lee safety scale for IDPA, USPSA and 3 gun.

That said I use my old (decades) Dillon electric scale more often than not.

Ohaus brand (again old) are used for trickling and give greater accuracy.

I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-0-01g-Digital-Scale/dp/B0012LOQUQ/ref=pd_sim_79_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SFQENGAP5W4T82ECTF7

I have tested it with several items I weighed side by side on the analytical scales in the company I work for.

The results were outstanding! I weighed several small items, like a small paper clip, some small coins, little pieces of thin cardboard stock on the analytical balance (which was just calibrated for quality recording purposes) and found that the American Weigh scale gives me the same weights for the items as the analytical balance.

I did this in the gram setting as well as the grain setting (had to calculate the grains from the weight I got from the analytical balance and compare to the grain weight I got from the little gadget). I made sure I tested a lot of smallish weights, in the 2 - 10 grain range - this should cover me for all my needs (at the moment) for reloading.

For the price, this one cannot be beat!!

No issues so far. No wall wart available. Only pesky thing about it is the auto-shut off after 2 mins. However, what I have found, is that it's extremely accurate, repeating measurements between on/off cycles. It's also VERY sensitive to ANY breeze. You can literally lightly blow air towards the scale and see it register weight.

Thanks. Id prefer a plug in unit. I wonder if this would be any better?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3LUCJ4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2PKJOMAZQVNXI&coliid=I3835MM9GKZ8LA

Thanks. Id prefer a plug in unit. I wonder if this would be any better?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3LUCJ4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2PKJOMAZQVNXI&coliid=I3835MM9GKZ8LA

Try it and let us know. It has the same 0.02 grain resolution. It can't be any worse than the Chinese scales the big name ammo companies rebrand to their own.

Edited by Brassaholic13

• 4 weeks later...

Sent me gem pro back twice and gave up. It won't run on batteries and would shut off in a minute or less. Brian couldn't figure it out either. Got the Dillon digital and it's awesome. No need to read 2 digits past the decimal. My Dillon reads perfect and is always spot on

Sent me gem pro back twice and gave up. It won't run on batteries and would shut off in a minute or less. Brian couldn't figure it out either. Got the Dillon digital and it's awesome. No need to read 2 digits past the decimal. My Dillon reads perfect and is always spot on

Sorry about your luck but, surely replaceable under warranty wasn't it? Mine is 5 years old and never given me any problems.

One can easily re-program the unit, for constant on. That is, when running off the 120 volt power supply. Forget about running off battery power! Tried it once, when my unit was new, and battery life is horrible.

Brian sent me 2 new ones and then ran the tests on both I sent back. He had witnessed the same issue and it seems you dont use batteries at all for the scale. My Dillon I use plug in as well but the scale should work in the way it was intended so I gave up. The battery life wasnt horrible it was impossible. It wouldnt stay on more then 1-2 minutes.

Looking at how the Dillon scale is put together with that 4 pin plastic plate which is fit into the main unit and rests on the senors one would think it cant be accurate. The darn thing has no issue reading .5 grain check weights accurately. It seems not to wonder and isnt very sensitive to air movement.

I tried Gem Pro because of the reviews and the warranty vs the Dillon but in the end went back to Dillon. They both read accurate but it seemed to me the Gem Pro had issues and I had 2 samples that wouldnt stay working but that was on battery power. I could have run it on electric but once I figured out it was defective and couldnt run on battery even though its supposed to I didnt want it. Other then that its accurate and has a better warranty then Dillon. My Dillon has been perfect and I dont see myself buying anything else unless this thing dies prematurely but I have had it 7 months and no issues.

For some reason people concern them selves with reading 2 places after the decimal yet we you progressive presses which vary the powder drop +/- 1 full grain, lol. On top of that I am not loading ammo for 1000 yrd bolt action rifle ammo. Prior to Brian selling this Gem Pro he had a pocket Jennings scale which I still have and it has worked great for months on battery. This gem Pro made me loose confidence in it after the experience I had.

Edited by brian45acp

I am also using the AWS Gemini-20. Great little scale for the price.

I do calibrate it before each session tho.

Only had it for 3 months so I cannot tell how it will last.

gemini20.jpg

Edited by BMaus

Well bought the Dillon set it up yesterday worked fine on ac power left it plugged in all day Went to use it today and you can only see half the digits today very disappointed.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Dillon and after several years the display went bad - only displaying partial numbers.

For my needs, I've been using a Jennings digital and find it to be a little weird at times but for rough setting of a powder drop, it works OK. I use a Scott Parker tuned Redding #2 when I need to know exactly what the weight is.

If I needed a digital scale today for reloading, I'd probably get the GemPro as it has the best resolution for the money.