Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou bullets or similar opinions

brian45acp

Many guys use these at the local USPSA matches and I know that because I smell them. The price is attractive vs my JHP which cost me $30 more per 1k. I have developed a very accurate load which I love using bullseye powder. I am thinking of changing over to these coated bullets but have read fast hot powders may cook the coating off etc. I am not wanting to change my powder especially with the current power availability issues.

Do you guys feel that these coated bullets have any less accuracy or other draw backs I should consider? The coating can be scratched off quite easily with anything but some how they leave the barrels clean and most importantly my buddies blood lead levels dropped after switching to them from moly. My main reason switching to JHP was because blood lead levels is a real issue for those of us who shoot a lot and it was a matter of health so the cost wasnt important. I just have no idea what the smell is from these bullets and it concerns me despite the advertised "non toxic" coating.

Order yourself a few sample packs and see what works for you. I use Clays under my Bayous and haven't had any issues. As far as that burnt plastic smell you get, I don't notice it with Clays but do with others using tightgroup. Or did. Been shooting indoors for 2yrs and I don't notice it anymore.

I load mine for IDPA in 9 minor. YMMV.

You can also try the blue bullets (thebluebullets.com). They have small sample packs that aren't very expensive to try in different weights & profiles.

They have what appears to be a powder coat vs polymer coating and while I notice some odor I think it's better than some of the polymer coated ones that I tried.

FWIW I've shot now a few thousand in 9 (125gr RN) as well as in 45 (230gr RNFP) and have been very happy with them.

The only downside is that you will get a little blue dust on your fingers if you're placing the bullets manually. I have been able to use them on my HornadyLNL with the bullet feeder and only had to spread the lower collet a slight bit to get them to feed vs jacketed.

You can also try the blue bullets (thebluebullets.com). They have small sample packs that aren't very expensive to try in different weights & profiles.

They have what appears to be a powder coat vs polymer coating and while I notice some odor I think it's better than some of the polymer coated ones that I tried.

FWIW I've shot now a few thousand in 9 (125gr RN) as well as in 45 (230gr RNFP) and have been very happy with them.

The only downside is that you will get a little blue dust on your fingers if you're placing the bullets manually. I have been able to use them on my HornadyLNL with the bullet feeder and only had to spread the lower collet a slight bit to get them to feed vs jacketed.

I can vouch for Blue Bullets as well. I've loaded and shot close to 10,000 rounds in the past year, all in 147gr 9mm, 180gr 40, and 230gr 45ACP with no complaints. There is no funky odor like some of those polymer coated but techj is correct, your fingers will turn blue. It washes off though, don't worry

my blood level dropped from 25 to 8 after swithcing to Bayous from moly coated in just 3 months. Im running 124TCs over 4 grains of TiteGroup and shoot about 800 rounds a month outdoors.You can smell it sometimes, but not all the time. They do not lead my BarSto barrels in my Glocks at all.

OP, I would think your blood lead should be around 4 from shooting JHP's Have you been tested?

9x45 I was tested and they said you are my dad. I want back child support for 18yrs and then I can buy what ever I want.

He is my range buddy and uses these bullets and why I asked the question. He likes them and I'm on the fence. As long as my bullseye powder isn't and issue with using them I wouldn't mind. He gave me a handful I can try so I will do that since I guess it's the only way to know.

So what's the magic with blue bullets? Are they lead safe? You guys won't know unless you check your blood lead levels yearly otherwise we are simply talking about which bullet performs well. My biggest concern is the lead levels. Most shooters don't have clue, or don't want to, as to their blood levels and its a serious concern we all over look.

So I know for sure they don't emit lead like moly did since 9x45 checked his blood levels and we confirmed this. I guess I should just go for it and make the switch. Seems performance is good and its a matter of preference at this point

Edited by brian45acp

brian45acp, you know your GrandFather Scotty got to 78 blood level before he checked in to ER for chealation treatment. 4 days in the hospital but nobody could really tell the difference after the treatment....

I contested the DNA results, and will be restested next month. Besides the next court hearing is not until September. My lawyer (your mother's lawyer) says there is a statue of limitations for this case.

• 5 months later...

Just ordered another 2,000 Bayous. I do notice the smell, which I don't love, but it's not that bad. The blue bullets also have a compelling price. I might try those next bullet order.

Also a big fan of Blue's B

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The only drawback I'm aware of with coated is, as you said, the coating is easily scratched/damaged...so if you have a tendency to overcrimp, you'll compromise the coating. If you load like a speed demon and pay no attention to how straight you place the bullet in the case in the seating station, you'll scratch the coating while seating. Jacketed are more forgiving in both of these cases. I only got interested in non-jacketed bullets when the range where I shoot said jacketed bullets could not be used on steel. I like shooting steel...so I needed non-jacketed bullets compatible with Glock barrels.

I haven't tried it, but I've read people use Titegroup with Bayou bullets...so I doubt Bullseye would be a problem.

The Hitek coating is surprisingly tough, just dont' go out of your way to scrape it off in th reloading process. Bayou does a good job of applying it well, I assume many manifacturers have it figured out by now.

Specifically:

Bell case appropriately. I'm using the 9mm Mr. Bullet Feeeder powder funnel for Dillon. Works great.

Just smooth out the belling with a taper crimp die, 0.378" from memory.

Works like a champ.

Just ordered another 2,000 Bayous. I do notice the smell, which I don't love, but it's not that bad. The blue bullets also have a compelling price. I might try those next bullet order.

Also a big fan of Blue's B

The price on those looks good, I'll definitely be trying them sometime soon.

I can't speak to the others but any of the casting companies that use the 'hi-tek supercoat' should be good to go even with the faster/higher pressure powders like bullseye and clays. The hi-tek coating has been in use with commercial bullet casters in Australia for over 10 years. Probably 9 out of 10 commercial casters in aus use it on their projies.

Over that time it's been shown that they are as clean (lead wise) to handle and shoot as CMJs or jhps. Guys who've shot them over time have been able to maintain lower lead levels vs fmj or other cast bullets. They also run a little faster through the barrel than lead or jacketed and are fine to shoot at major pf in open guns too. Some particular powders combos do produce some smoke. You also can enjoy some accuracy benefits when you can choose the correct diameter bullet for your barrel.

The one crucial part in this is that the coating is applied correctly. If not done right it can stain fingers, crumble off or be lumpy. When done right it's very strong, slick and won't mark your fingers.

I'm sure the U.S. casters are in the know by now as they've had it a few years now.

As always ymmv but there is a long build up of data from shooters in aus that suggests the only possible downside is smoke/smell.

• 4 weeks later...