Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnum pistol primers vs regular pistol primers

bigarm

The last 2 times I have been in Cabelas they have had magnum cci small pistol primers (and large for that matter), but no regular primers. Can I use the magnum primers and if so, do I need to drop charges any?

I used them during the 2008 shortage. I got some bolt face erosion in a open .40 gun.

Later,

Chuck

Yikes. I was using remington 6.5 rifle primers during the "madness" and must have gotten lucky.

Got a great deal on Federal SP Magnum Primers.

Testing against Federal SP revealed some interesting results.

Couldn't believe it, so repeated the test with essentially the same result:

Low High Avg. ES SD

5/3/2015 LRN BAYOU 135 Bullseye 2.8 848.0 902.0 878.0 54.00 10.12 Federal SP

5/10/2015 LRN BAYOU 135 Bullseye 2.8 855.0 891.0 874.1 36.00 9.01 Federal SP Magnum

This is my 9MM Steel Challenge revolver load.

Runs my CZ 75B well, too.

Edited by Taroman

Got a great deal on Federal SP Magnum Primers.

Testing against Federal SP revealed some interesting results.

Couldn't believe it, so repeated the test with essentially the same result:

Low High Avg. ES SD

5/3/2015 LRN BAYOU 135 Bullseye 2.8 848.0 902.0 878.0 54.00 10.12 Federal SP

5/10/2015 LRN BAYOU 135 Bullseye 2.8 855.0 891.0 874.1 36.00 9.01 Federal SP Magnum

This is my 9MM Steel Challenge revolver load.

Runs my CZ 75B well, too.

Doesn't seem like much difference except a little smaller standard deviation and extreme spread.

I use them in my .38spl loads, I have found with the small powder charges and large case capacity they give me much more uniform velocities. I am not talking about +P loads either, just standard pressure practice ammo.

They are a little harder than standard small pistol primers and are pretty close if not the same as small rifle primers There have been people that have had breech face erosion using small rifle primers in light pistol loads that are low pressure and just don't seal around the primer due to being harder than small pistol primers. On higher pressure loads it seals up fine and usually 40 major is high enough to not be an issue as is 9major as they seal up and in the case of 9mm major do so without flattening out as much as the small pistol do.

• 5 years later...

I’d have to assume that since he dredged up a post from 2015 he already used the search function :) or did a ton of scrolling.

I occasionally need to substitute mag primers or small rifle primers. I don’t see any change with the benign loads I use in 9mm. If I was near the top of the pressure curve I would back off.

There are rumors of bolt face erosion using the thicker mag and rifle primers caused by gas leakage. I have not experienced this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk