Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bianchi Format Change

DWFAN

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that they are trying to curry favour with Mr Potterfield. It is the Midways USA Bianchi Cup, posing as the NRA Action National Championship.

I think this is 2004 / 5 all over again.

It will stuff the Cup,

1. numbers will drop.

2. Another Tom will be brought back in,

3. Go back to how it all worked before,

4. Get the numbers up

5. Get the shaft,

6. Someone comes up with another change,

Back to number 1. Repeat as many times as neccessary until someone gets the hint.

I suspect 1 through 6 will not be finished before I am.

I enjoyed participating last year for the first time and came away very addicted. That being said I was disappointed in the format and how slow the week went especially Saturday at the speed shoot. I for one would welcome a new format and would hope that everyone would keep a open mind and give it a chance to work before giving up. I'd only hope that there would be more that 4 qualifiers in metallic and production. I'd be interested to know how they came up with that ratio.

I enjoyed participating last year for the first time and came away very addicted. That being said I was disappointed in the format and how slow the week went especially Saturday at the speed shoot. I for one would welcome a new format and would hope that everyone would keep a open mind and give it a chance to work before giving up. I'd only hope that there would be more that 4 qualifiers in metallic and production. I'd be interested to know how they came up with that ratio.

If you felt the week went slow, the new format isn't likely to help that.

Now instead of shooting Friday unless you are the making it into the top X they take from your division, you are a spectator for two days instead of one. And outside of the plates or the speed shoot watching Bianchi shooting is pretty boring to me as you can't see squat.

Personally I think I might go sight seeing Friday.

I will say I was on the fence about going to Bianchi in 2016. You guys have pretty much convinced me that I am NOT going.

I just can't see spending all that time practicing, money on ammo, week off work, hotel room, drive 13 hours, ETC just to watch OTHER folks shoot :blush: Sure, I'll get to shoot my match, but I can do that right here in VA.

While I totally agree there needs to be some changes at the Cup, we end up talking every year about how we can grow this event and nothing happens. I believe if NRA/Midway continue to cater to the top 20 or so shooters, this event is as well as dead. We cannot grow AP by focusing on pro and High master shooters. They (for the most part) will shoot these events every year. Certainly very limited growth potential in attracting these folks, there just aren't that many of them. Someone has to start thinking about how to attract shooters from all classes. They don't even recognize the other classes any more and since very few folks start out at HM, there needs to be some draw for everyone else.

Like MOST shooters, I have (more than) and full time job, pay for all my own gear and ammo, and have limited time to practice. Very difficult for all of us to compete at the top and if there's nothing but watching others shoot and the "hope" of winning a gun at the banquet, why should we go? And more importantly why would a brand new shooter go?? Hell, I can buy a raffle ticket from the rescue squad and watch Doug's show on Friday night if that's all I want to do. I did go to Germany and finished 5th Metallic there, and I've been VERY lucky to have some great folks to help me learn this sport in Bedford in a short time, but I'm pretty sure I'm the exception, not the norm.

Sorry for the rant...But short version is -when is someone going to talk (and actually do something) about how to REALLY attract new shooters to THIS sport when there are so many other shooting sports gaining more popularity right now. The Cup certainly isn't it...

thanks for reading, as a good friend says. Just my .02

Edited by Spangler

Sierra does do tours. Or at least they did several years ago, and I for one, found it fascinating.

Don't go to Sierra, you will want to stay all day!!!!!

We did a short tour and we landed up being there for hours. May not work that way these days. But they are really nice people.

Starline is right next door. So there goes a whole day. :goof:

Well I know what I am doing Friday if the NRA actually does this foolishness, since I know I am not going to get in the top 4 in production.

Ok, since NRA says it'll be the top 16 shooters, plus the top 4 from other categories, will that open extra slots up if somebody is top 16 AND top in another category? For instance, Anita shoots 1916 again and is top female and top 16. I've called Damien a couple times over the last month inquiring, and I really think we need to bug him about making it the Top 8 in Metallic/Production. Seems silly to ostracize the fastest growing portion of our sport.

Well it is official, the NRA doesn't care what the competitors want.

http://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/12/1/competitors-corner-december/#.Vl28CZNMBQE.facebook

The Action Shooting Committee has also approved changes to the 2016 Bianchi Cup format. Everyone will shoot the standard four event/1920 course of fire and all awards will be locked in. However, to compete for the “Cup” the top finishers in Open, Production, Metallic, Women, Juniors, and Seniors/Grand Seniors will fire an additional 1920 in one day. Their two scores will be added together to determine their final finish in the Grand Aggregate of 3840 possible points. An exciting finish will be available with the top two competitors shooting simultaneously on the upper mover to determine the overall champion.

Still doesn't make sense or provide enough information. :yawn:

"Awards locked in"? So if you place 2nd (or 10th, or 20th) on the first 1920, that's your official spot? The only thing the shoot off decides is first place in the division/category?

Then it goes on to say the scores are added together for the final finish in the Grand Aggregate? Are there additional prizes for that or is it just for bragging rights and the Cups?

I don't know. . maybe it's my reading comprehension. :blush:

Yeah the torrent of information they are providing is way too much, they should really release the information much more slowly. People love being kept in the dark, and being shown that our opinion of how the match should be run doesn't matter.

So if lets say Kevin is the only 1920 in 2016 where as Doug K shoots a 1918, but Kevin shoots a 1916 in the second cup event, and Doug gets his usual 1920. Doug K may walk away with the cup but who gets the big first place check.

I don't know about you guys, but I LOVE spending thousands of dollars and not knowing what I'm signing up for...

Who the hell is on this AP Committee anyway?

I already had half my team drop out due to scheduling issues early in the week.

The 2014 Committee, is on page 7 of the 2014 Bianchi Cup program. The 2015 Committee page is covered by an ad, which is strange because the 2015 program is 25% shorter because there were a much smaller amount of sponsors.

You can find the 2014 program here: