Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bianchi Format Change

DWFAN

The Bianchi Cup to me has always been an Open contest with Metallic, Production and Ironman tacked on. Maybe it should stay an Open contest. One big cup plus several little ones.

I think that's spot on, but Tom worked hard to try to share the spot light with the Production shooters to grow the numbers.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might do Graf & Son in Mexico Mo. and then zip down to Starline for some new brass .....does Sierra do tours ?

Sierra used to have really good deals on blemished bullets in bulk. It would be off color or would have the ballistic tip in wrong. They are sold by the pound. They also had what they called floor sweep. It would be all different calibers and weights. I have heard that it`s not as good of a deal as it used to be but if your already there it would probably save a few bucks.

Wow. I've read the entire thread and I must say the changes the NRA has in its "wisdom" decided to implement suck. I'm no threat to win the Cup (although this past season has been my best and I just received my Open Master designation). The vast majority of the other folks who spend the time and money to attend aren't serious threats either. Yet we are the ones who will be expected to show up, shoot a match to QUALIFY for the Cup, then watch others actually shoot for the Cup while hanging around a couple of days for the awards ceremony. Gee, that sounds like fun. There are plenty of things to do in Columbia Mo to fill a couple of days of down time. Instead, how about doing a "1920 Awards" banquet in place of the Western Bbq so the non-elite can pick up their awards and get out of dodge? After all, at that point we're only spectators since, if I read the guidance correctly, everything but the Cup will already be locked-in. Then the elite 36 do their thing in full view of the TV cameras. After all, it does seem clear that what the NRA wants is a media-friendly all-star match. This way, they can have it, and let the rest of enjoy the Cup.

I too just finished reading through the thread. I can only speculate on the reason for the changes as being a more exciting finish for filming. When I first heard of this change, I was not in favor of it and made the suggestion that the same results could be obtained by awarding the Bianchi Cup to the Aggregate Winner. Shooting both division shows who has mastered the sport as a whole and after all, this is how it is done in NRA PPC and NRA Bullseye. This would keep ALL sponsors, OPEN, Metallic, and Production specific fully involved and invested in the presentation of the Bianchi Cup. Apparently, that suggestion wasn't well received.

I love shooting in general so I'll go along with whatever format they throw at us. They have to consider how they are going to assign the Top 16 when some of those Top 16 are going to be in other qualifying Divisions (Senior, Ladies, Juniors, Metallic, Production). Are they going to be considered Top 16 and bring up the next 4 from the other division or pull all sub-categories out of the Top 16 results and pull the qualifying people from that list?

That would be an interesting change, but I'm not sure that would give the photo finish unless match 2 was iron sights and ended on the plates. Even then I don't think it would really have that much draw outside the Bianchi crowd.

• 2 weeks later...

I too just finished reading through the thread. I can only speculate on the reason for the changes as being a more exciting finish for filming. When I first heard of this change, I was not in favor of it and made the suggestion that the same results could be obtained by awarding the Bianchi Cup to the Aggregate Winner. Shooting both division shows who has mastered the sport as a whole and after all, this is how it is done in NRA PPC and NRA Bullseye. This would keep ALL sponsors, OPEN, Metallic, and Production specific fully involved and invested in the presentation of the Bianchi Cup. Apparently, that suggestion wasn't well received.

I love shooting in general so I'll go along with whatever format they throw at us. They have to consider how they are going to assign the Top 16 when some of those Top 16 are going to be in other qualifying Divisions (Senior, Ladies, Juniors, Metallic, Production). Are they going to be considered Top 16 and bring up the next 4 from the other division or pull all sub-categories out of the Top 16 results and pull the qualifying people from that list?

Bruce, I'll ask you the same question I asked Tom in another thread. How would you set up the Bianchi Cup format to strike a balance between the shooters on a budget and the sponsored shooters?