Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case gauging

aandabooks

At what point do you ease up on case gauging? Just got done case gauging ammo for this weekends match. Not a bad round in 300. It is a tedious task one at a time with my Dillon case gauge.

Do any of you trust your ammo for the local matches enough not to gauge every piece? I generally don't gauge my practice ammo.

After about 20 rounds I decided to order one of the hundred hole case gauges.

About 2 cases in a hundred warrant further attention and go to the practice pile. Maybe 1 in a thousand fail secondary inspection and get pulled and trashed. I like the balance between additional visual inspections and reasonable throughput.

I use the Supermatch version of the 100 round gauge on every round that comes out of my press. Damaged cases won't pass and I get a chance to inspect them individually and then decide what to do with them. I'm shooting 9 major and don't want any surprises.

post-56380-0-46390500-1432352022_thumb.j

I don't case gauge practice or local match ammo anymore. Never had a problem but my chamber is pretty loose.

Plus I case pro and have a lee FCD on last step without the insert so it's hard to have much wrong.

Usually the only failures I will see for major matches are burrs on the rim still

That is what I was kind of wondering. For local matches I have been gauging everything but even the 1 out of 300 or so rounds that doesn't make it still runs fine. My XDM chamber must be very forgiving. In close to 5000 rds fired I have never had a verifiable FTE/FTF that was ammo related.

I've been eyeing the Ben S. 100 round gauge. The one at a time is getting tedious.

The Dillon gauges at the link supplied in this post is for 7 rounds inn the picture. What is a "Ben S" gauge and where would I find one? I have been running the single round method and it is getting old.

I've been eyeing the Ben S. 100 round gauge. The one at a time is getting tedious.

The Dillon gauges at the link supplied in this post is for 7 rounds inn the picture. What is a "Ben S" gauge and where would I find one? I have been running the single round method and it is getting old.
they are taking about the hundo case gauge from benstoegerproshop.com

• 4 weeks later...

At what point do you ease up on case gauging? Just got done case gauging ammo for this weekends match. Not a bad round in 300. It is a tedious task one at a time with my Dillon case gauge.

Do any of you trust your ammo for the local matches enough not to gauge every piece? I generally don't gauge my practice ammo.

i need 600 rds/week for training so I don't have time for gauging training ammo ... that being said I case guage every rd of match ammo ... do you care where you place at a match? If not, don't worry too much about it but if you do then the first time you DNF a stage because of ammo issues you'll gauge every rd from then after .... even with a 20 rd case gauge I can check 250 rds for a local match in about 15 mins

Why is it that those 100 slot case guages are all running $100+? I know it's a 1-time purchase, but damn!

It's called material and machine time, the 9mm and 40 are pretty easy, fairly fast to make.

223 on the other hand takes twice the material and about 4 times the machine time.

Stop gauging it. Then be sure to update us on your first jam caused by bad ammo. :)

I say I have at least one person on my squad every match that gets a stuck round.

Last match one guy's pistol rounds fired, but he couldn't ULSC, had to fire the gun to clear it, 3/5 stages.

Rifle is the most common though.