Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear pro

Honeybooboo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't succeed ordered my pair he other day with the gel cups. They'll be here tomorrow and I'll get my first crack at them this Saturday. Hope it was worth the money

How you like them? I hope you got the gel cups..

Love em took a class with Vogel this weekend and lots of rounds down range all over and they were great. I did get the gel cups and they are super comfortable for ear pro. The only thing that took getting used to is when it was raining how loud the rain was because of the way they amplify

I may not be one of the cool kids with fancy electronic ear pro. But as a college student I shoot on a budget. I use Surefire Sonic Defenders EP5 I believe. They are very comfortable for me, I can adjust depth and they don't bother me for long shooting sessions.

I may not be one of the cool kids with fancy electronic ear pro. But as a college student I shoot on a budget. I use Surefire Sonic Defenders EP5 I believe. They are very comfortable for me, I can adjust depth and they don't bother me for long shooting sessions.

Do yourself a favor and rethink your hearing protection

Every shooter I know, including myself, did what you're doing, just starting out, money's tight, spend it all on guns and bullets, and go as cheap as they can on hearing protection

Now fast forward 10, 20 or 30 years later, we all have hearing loss, a bunch of us will go to lunch after the match, and half the guys are asking the other half what did he say, all of us have tinnitus

And all of us now spend the money for quality hearing protection after it is too late to save what hearing we got left

And I got a pair of the sonic defenders, and there're ok up to a point, and they may be ok for the gun you're shooting, but what are they shooting around you, if it is a typical match, you're squaded with open shooters, and those guns are loud 30 yards away, and what about a comped AR, I tired them and they sucked

Spend the money now to get a good pair of electronic muffs, or just get a pair on passive muffs with a high NRR

You'll thank me in 20 years

Also note that they are only meant to last 6 months or so. The material will degrade and not seal as well, and you'll notice them starting to slip out on their own. A good friend had a pair slip out on him while shooting an 18" AR with a SJC Titan on it........the ear that the plug slipped out rang for a couple weeks afterwards he said, and he was pretty concerned about it.......

I stopped using a set that I had since I didn't want to keep spending money on new ones every few months, so I started using that set for yardwork (mowing the lawn, edging, trimming).........one side won't seal anymore, so in the trash they want.

They work great for a time, but are basically disposable and you'd be better served spending money on something that will last and protect a LOT!

Do yourself a favor and rethink your hearing protection

Every shooter I know, including myself, did what you're doing, just starting out, money's tight, spend it all on guns and bullets, and go as cheap as they can on hearing protection

Now fast forward 10, 20 or 30 years later, we all have hearing loss, a bunch of us will go to lunch after the match, and half the guys are asking the other half what did he say, all of us have tinnitus

And all of us now spend the money for quality hearing protection after it is too late to save what hearing we got left

And I got a pair of the sonic defenders, and there're ok up to a point, and they may be ok for the gun you're shooting, but what are they shooting around you, if it is a typical match, you're squaded with open shooters, and those guns are loud 30 yards away, and what about a comped AR, I tired them and they sucked

Spend the money now to get a good pair of electronic muffs, or just get a pair on passive muffs with a high NRR

You'll thank me in 20 years

Also note that they are only meant to last 6 months or so. The material will degrade and not seal as well, and you'll notice them starting to slip out on their own. A good friend had a pair slip out on him while shooting an 18" AR with a SJC Titan on it........the ear that the plug slipped out rang for a couple weeks afterwards he said, and he was pretty concerned about it.......

I stopped using a set that I had since I didn't want to keep spending money on new ones every few months, so I started using that set for yardwork (mowing the lawn, edging, trimming).........one side won't seal anymore, so in the trash they want.

They work great for a time, but are basically disposable and you'd be better served spending money on something that will last and protect a LOT!

I agree with you guys. They are only a cheap temporary solution. I buy them in bulk and throw them away as they die. I have used them in conjunction with winchester ear muffs while shooting a Barrett 50 cal. I can understand them not being enough as I have had issues with people at the range using comps. I want to get a nice pair of electronic Ear pro but it seems like all the decent budget ear pro have crap reviews where they fail after a very short period of time. Do you have any suggestions on some better electronic ear pro that won't make me have to skip buying food this month?

I've been using the 3M Peltor Tactictal Pro headset. They are comfortable, offer great protection and the electronics in them are pretty good.

I decided to treat my self to the Hear Pro Amp37 in-ear molded plugs with digital electronics. I've only had them about a week but I love them. Have not had the chance to test them indoors with a whole bunch of shooters but that test will come soon.

Edited by RealtorMA

I also use the peltor tactical pros and love them, when this pair dies, I'll replace it with another

In the past I've used

Pro ears, if you buy a set, try it on in the store, my 1st set was ok, the second one I bought didn't seal well around my ears which added to my tinnitus

Dillon HP-1, they were ok , but I had to replace the ear pads annually

Howard leight, some people swear by them, I swore at them, the ear cups were too shallow to fit around my ears, also the electronic were too loud for me, the only way I could use them was to turn them off

Peltor tactical sports, they are also ok, it's not as quite or comfortable as the tac pros, but they're better than the non peltor one I listed above and are about half the price of the tac pro, if you get a set, I would double plug by wearing the sonic defenders under the muffs.

Or just get a $20-$30 non electronic muffs with a high NRR rating and call it a day

Keep an eye on EBay. I wanted ear pro's but the $400 price was putting me off. Then one day I saw a pair of the NRR30 Pro Ears for $75. It was damaged packaging so I took the risk. The plastic package was damaged in the corner, but the muffs worked great. Almost too good, I can hear all the conversations of the other members of the squad and it's kinda distracting so I turn them way down. I've been using them since the first of the year. Never know what is going to pop up on Ebay.

Just got an email from ProEars. They're having a 25% off and free shipping sale this weekend on everything on their website. Might be time for me to get those electronic earplugs :)

Edited by kmca

I guess it is time to save for some Peltor tactical pros. Two questions: 1) I have head like watermelon. Any other big headed people here have them? Are they big enough? 2) I wear eye glasses. I don't like how some muffs clamp down so tight they drive the arms of my glasses into the side of my skull. Do these suffer from that?

I guess it is time to save for some Peltor tactical pros. Two questions: 1) I have head like watermelon. Any other big headed people here have them? Are they big enough? 2) I wear eye glasses. I don't like how some muffs clamp down so tight they drive the arms of my glasses into the side of my skull. Do these suffer from that?

Yes, they'll press the arms of your glasses into your head. The only way around that, is to get gel cushions. The Peltor muffs have a wire headband and can be bent for less pressure. If you do that though, you lessen the level of protection.

Do the peltor gel ear cups go bad, harden or otherwise need to be replaced? I am asking if I need to get more than one pair essentially.

I've had mine 3 or 4 years now and I'm starting to notice parts of the cup look flatten, but like most ear muffs, they have been compressed the whole time

They are stil comfortable and as far as I can tell, it still seal around the ear well

Do the peltor gel ear cups go bad, harden or otherwise need to be replaced? I am asking if I need to get more than one pair essentially.

I've had mine 3 or 4 years now and I'm starting to notice parts of the cup look flatten, but like most ear muffs, they have been compressed the whole time

They are stil comfortable and as far as I can tell, it still seal around the ear well

I have gone ahead and ordered just one set. Now I just need to find a deal on the muffs themselves. What is a "good" price for peltor tactical pros? the over the head kind not the around the neck kind.

Amazon.com

? your link isn't a specific link. Just the amazon main page.

Perhaps rishii was saying that Amazon is likely the best place to price shop?

Here's what a quick search brings up--looks like $200 round numbers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apeltor+tac+pro&keywords=peltor+tac+pro&ie=UTF8&qid=1436067812

The peltor gel cups are awesome. I've had my set for nearly 3 years (on a set of tactical sports). They still hold their shape, still nice and soft, still seal nicely around my glasses frames. Best $50 you'll ever spend on shooting gear.