Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear pro

Honeybooboo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using ProEars Gold for a few years and like them better than the Sordin. They're kind of expensive, but worth the cost. I picked up a back up pair a few months ago when there was a sale for $189. I still double plug when shooting/RO'ing open guns :goof:

Are the Peltor Tac Sports worth considering? I am debating if moving up to the >200 dollar range is worth it?

I've got both. The Peltors fold smaller, so I keep those in my bag as a spare. ProEars is what I use. The Peltors clip the sound, the amplification isn't even close to the ProEars.

Are the Peltor Tac Sports worth considering? I am debating if moving up to the >200 dollar range is worth it?

I've got both. The Peltors fold smaller, so I keep those in my bag as a spare. ProEars is what I use. The Peltors clip the sound, the amplification isn't even close to the ProEars.

Thanks for the info. I will look into those.

Are you guys using the regular Gold ones, the slim golds, or the pro mag golds which seem too massive? So pretty much between the regular ones and the slim. The slims have a slightly higher NPR which seems weird. But they are doing 20% off today for the holiday so seems like a good time to buy.

Edited by Honeybooboo

I recently switched from ProEars to MSA Sordins. I much prefer the Sordins. Far more comfortable and the sound is equal to or exceeds the pro ears.

Hmmmmm .... They may or may not be more comfortable but with only an 18 NRR rating vice 33 for the ProEars there's no way I'd switch ....

I have a $325 pair of sordins and I hate them. Not because of the 18NRR though. And there is a long article from Trevor on the pistol-forum about that 18 rating.. Good read but I promise they filter WAY more noise then that. Quietest muffs I've had on. Everything prior I would double up, these I don't even think about it. And the gel cups are amazing. I wear my ear pro all day without ever taking it off, not even once. And they stay comfy. What really pisses me off is they were 325 big ones and are basically comfy Howard Leigh's. I was under the impression that when shota broke off (over 82db) it would cancel out the loud noise but continue to amplify anything under 82db. But they just cut completley out. You can just about hang up having a conversation while someone is running a stage. I contacted SRS and they were very ready to make it right and acted awesome about the whole thing but I never sent them in. My buddy has a pair and his do the same thing so I guess that's just how they are. I feel cool, but they don't work how I thought they would.

Luke205, that is not how they work normally. I have a pair of the Sordin Supreme Pro-X and they don't cut off with a loud noise, they just cut out anything in the higher ranges while conversation is still heard. And they are comfortable with the gel cups, I have those too. I don't like them as much as my ProEars due to the ringing I get after a day of wearing them. That article you are referring to about Trevor is full of holes and just plain does not make sense. Everyone has their own tastes and wants but I'm telling you that mine fit great (#1 priority) but they still don't block out enough high level sound. With my ProEars, I never go home at the end of a match with my ears ringing. I already have Tinnitus and the Sordins make it worse, the ProEars do a much better job for me. I still like wearing my Sordins if I'm shooting Minor and not around any Open guns. I just wish they blocked out more of the upper range noise and they don't for me.

Look at the SRS Tactical website and they give a decent explanation of what each model does and their configuration. The ones I purchased are these below but mine did not come with the gel cups, I had to buy those separately and install them:

http://srstactical.com/all-products/headsets-and-hearing-protection/msa-sordin-supreme-range/msa-sordin-supreme-pro-x-black-special.html

Luke205, that is not how they work normally. I have a pair of the Sordin Supreme Pro-X and they don't cut off with a loud noise, they just cut out anything in the higher ranges while conversation is still heard..

Well either they suck really really really bad or me AND my buddy got a busted pair. After your reply though I am a little hopeful and will go through with sending them back after this weekends match.

I've got a pair of the MSA/Sordins after I tried the Howard Leight Impact Sports. Those HL's were the worst thing ever as far as comfort (square shaped ear seals which left a huge gap on the bottom) and the way the electronics work. The HL's clip the sound (on/off) and the Sordins compress it. It's akin to the volume being turned down but not completely muted. The Sordins feel like a quality piece. Can't say the same for the HL.

I've got a pair of the MSA/Sordins after I tried the Howard Leight Impact Sports. Those HL's were the worst thing ever as far as comfort (square shaped ear seals which left a huge gap on the bottom) and the way the electronics work. The HL's clip the sound (on/off) and the Sordins compress it. It's akin to the volume being turned down but not completely muted. The Sordins feel like a quality piece. Can't say the same for the HL.

I might go ahead and order the Sordin Supreme Pro-X then with the gel ear cups. I have the Impact Pros and I don't wear them. Like you said it creates a gap at the bottom and they are really loud for me indoors. Even with foam plugs, but I think foam plugs don't always sit right in my ears. The best pair of ear pro I have is actually a passive pair of Brownings. They have small cups and create a really tight seal but they hurt because they are so tight and no electronics which I think is pretty important for comp shooting and taking classes.

I recently switched from ProEars to MSA Sordins. I much prefer the Sordins. Far more comfortable and the sound is equal to or exceeds the pro ears.

Hmmmmm .... They may or may not be more comfortable but with only an 18 NRR rating vice 33 for the ProEars there's no way I'd switch ....

I will have to find it, but there is an article explaining that Sordin publishes their WORST test rating whereas everyone else uses their best.

Luke205, that is not how they work normally. I have a pair of the Sordin Supreme Pro-X and they don't cut off with a loud noise, they just cut out anything in the higher ranges while conversation is still heard..

Well either they suck really really really bad or me AND my buddy got a busted pair. After your reply though I am a little hopeful and will go through with sending them back after this weekends match.

Yeah mine don't cut out either. I think you and your buddy got lemons.