Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy issues S&W 929

a468bu

Brand new star line. I read some people had problems with it while others none at all. I'm thinking of trying a longer oal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same problem with Starline and then switch to Federal brass and had zero sticking issues through 145 PF

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok well tried Federal brass. No problems. I took some of the Starline that was once fired. Tumbled for 2 hours, Sized & Deprimed then sonic cleaned for an hour. Loaded some up. Sticking just the same as before.

A couple of months ago when everyone started complaining about Starline brass I got to wondering if the new stuff was different from what I bought a year or so ago so I ordered another 1K. I took 100 of them and didn't even size them, just loaded them up. The rest I just loaded a usual. I didn't tumble or clean anything. They all drop checked fine. They all shot fine with no sticking. Running them at 136 PF. Some said the lite loads would stick so I loaded up some steel shooting rounds that only made 100 PF, no sticking from those either. I don't know what to tell you guys that are having a problem other than to send me your bad brass. :-)

Same here. I've shot nothing but Starline for the last 6 months with no trouble at all. 160 Bayou bullet sized to .357 sitting on top of 3.6 grains of Power Pistol. 130 power factor.

Edited by rjfisher

I put a scope mount on my new 929 with a 4X Leupold scope and average around a 4" group at 25 yards. I get 5 that are around 2-2.5" and then 3 fliers that open it up to 4"s. I changed the scope to a red dot with the same results. I also brought along my Hi Standard and 41 that will shoot an 1" easy at 25 yards to help my sand bag confidence.

I've shot my Glock 34 ammo, factory Remington 147's and a 9MM load with .358 Bayou 135 gr's that I shoot in the 627. The .358's did the best,...but what could be causing the fliers?

The barrel throat does not look bad, but the muzzle looks like it should be crowned.

I would be OK with a solid 2-2.5" group at 25 yards. Do you think crowning and a throat job would bring it down?

Thanks, Rob

I do the crown and forcing cone on any gun I get. Done correctly it's the best way to make sure your barrel is as accurate as it is likely to get. The only other thing you can do to make it better is to lap it, but that usually isn't needed. Do the crown and forcing cone. Can't hurt, might help. A bad crown will kill your group size. Most of the factory ones are off from a little to a lot.

Are your first five shots always accurate or do they vary? Try numbering your chambers and shooting it to see if the issue is related to specific chambers. Try starting with different chambers to see if it is a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to buy the 45 deg crowning tool and 11 deg forcing cone tool. My best 8 shot group so far is 1.6" at 25 yards!

The .358 135 Bayou bullets seem to do the best with all three full moonclips just under 2.5"s at 25 yards. Thats a big improvement over the groups with the fliers

I cut the forcing cone about halfway from the end of the barrel to the rifling. I'm not sure if I should cut it further to the rifling, or leave it alone.

I also have 160 .358 Bayou's on order to see how they do.

I decided to buy the 45 deg crowning tool and 11 deg forcing cone tool. My best 8 shot group so far is 1.6" at 25 yards!

The .358 135 Bayou bullets seem to do the best with all three full moonclips just under 2.5"s at 25 yards. Thats a big improvement over the groups with the fliers

I cut the forcing cone about halfway from the end of the barrel to the rifling. I'm not sure if I should cut it further to the rifling, or leave it alone.

I also have 160 .358 Bayou's on order to see how they do.

With the crown, did you cut the barrel itself or the little bolt on cap? Assuming you're not using the comp.

Kevin

The tool barely cut anything when I started. I cut for a while and only cut the beginning part of the forcing cone. About half way to the rifling. I'm not getting big slivers of metal out of the tool like I see on YouTube.

And I'm not using the comp or cover.

OK - You need to use cutting oil to do the forcing cone. It is best to clean up the forcing cone back to the rifling so you have a true surface from the end of the barrel to the rifling. This is usually about 1/8" long. If the F/C cutter doesn't cut well with a medium amount of pulling on the rod, you may need to send it back and exchange for another one.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys, I got my new 929, pin gauges, crown and chamfer kits. Now what?

post-21005-0-90591400-1439956279_thumb.j

Just kidding.

However I would like advice on my cylinder. I have 2 under-size holes. What tool(s) other than a chamber cutter will loosen is up about .0005....

6 chambers hold a perfect .357 pin gauge and 2 hold a loose .356. What size chamber are we all shooting for?

Also the muzzle is probably getting whacked off to be a dedicated limited gun forever. Here is a look at it fresh out of the box.

post-21005-0-25100400-1439956291_thumb.j