Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sellier & Bellot (S&B) 9mm and my Glock

Gun Geek

Getting geared up for a class and they REFUSE to allow handloaded ammo. They say it has more to do with malfunctions than with KBs. When I objected with 1000's of 9 and 45 I've loaded, the guy said "Remember, most handloaders aren't nearly as good as you IPSC/IDPA weenies." OK he hit me where I live, can't argue.

S&B ammo looks like a good alternative to Wolf (which I hate). I'll be shooting a 9mm - either a 1st gen 17 or a newish 34.

Any experience good or bad?

Yes, this is related to my post about S&B 223 in the 3-gun rifle forum.

Getting geared up for a class and they REFUSE to allow handloaded ammo. They say it has more to do with malfunctions than with KBs. When I objected with 1000's of 9 and 45 I've loaded, the guy said "Remember, most handloaders aren't nearly as good as you IPSC/IDPA weenies." OK he hit me where I live, can't argue.

Here's an answer for ya: I don't handload ammo. I operate a two press (Dillon 650 and 1050) assembly line for my extensive one person clientele....... :ph34r::ph34r:

Next time, don't ask.......

I found good deals on Winchester white box in the past.....

S&B ammo looks like a good alternative to Wolf (which I hate). I'll be shooting a 9mm - either a 1st gen 17 or a newish 34.

Any experience good or bad?

Yes, this is related to my post about S&B 223 in the 3-gun rifle forum.

I've fired about 4,000 rounds of S&B ammo through my G17 (most of them were the 115 FMJ) with zero problems.

The most accurate of them all (115 grs FMJ, 124 grs. FMJ Nontox, 124 grs. SP, 140 grs. FMJ Subsonic) were the 124 grs. soft-points, which were also the most pleasant to shoot for me.

Good stuff at a decent price.

Thought about DADT, but I load black bullets (Masterblasters), I have 1000's on hand. They are very hard to hide.

I would have to go through the development cycle, change all the dies yada, yada, yada... Too lazy, not enough time to do it right, very little cost savings on 9mm.

I have done the DADT in the past (when I took tactical pistol from these very same guys, as well as a couple of matches). I was shooting FMJ 45ACP then. The high shine tactic and some saved up Fiocchi boxes worked wonders. A couple of the other 45 shooters said they were going to try the Fiocchi because my gun stayed pretty clean through 1500 rds. I didn't have the heart to tell them it was because I was using Clays :PB)

I had real problems reloading with S&B casings. For one thing the primer pocket is very sharp-edged, so seating primers is a pain. But more importantly many loads wouldn't case gage afterwards, or even fit in the chamber of my G34. Now I sort through casings and toss out the S&B during my "getting rid of crap" phase (along with AMERC and CBC) before reloading.

• 1 month later...

I like S&B brass too. I've shot thousands of S&B 115gr through my USP and my baby eagle without problems. The nicest S&B stiuff IMO is the 124gr soft point, but it's pricier and harder to find.

what about reloading the brass?

I haven't tried any S&B brass for a long time, but the shoulder on the primer pocket gave me fits with the stuff I did try.

Call Brian. You obviously NEED a 1050! Once you have one, we can change your member title to: My gun didn't require financing, but my press did..... :lol::lol::lol:

And now to end thread drift --- I feel the same way about S&B brass on the SDB and 650 as Flex and Duane. It really takes the primer pocket reamer on the 1050 to make that brass happy, in my experience.....

Not true. Extensive testing has been done to prove that this is an old wives tale.You can tumble loaded rounds for up to 4 weeks straight without demonstrable effect. Besides, the ammo manufacturers tumble your ammo before you buy it without ill effect. So tumble away. Keep the tumbling under 4 weeks & you are good to go. Regards,

C.

• 5 weeks later...

"I haven't tried any S&B brass for a long time, but the shoulder on the primer pocket gave me fits with the stuff I did try."

Use range scrounge 9mm from our Club's Indoor Range. Always some S&B in it. {they must know it SUCKS for reloading so they painted the primers red for us?}

Out of curiosity have run a number of S&B 9 cases thru an RCBS press-mounted swagger and it was still miserable, same for RCBS "Case Prep" center.

Chamferring does no good, so assume their pockets are more than a little undersize. It is fun to crush them little Pi$$ Ants as soon as see red, with the Vise Grips that are chained to the 550's Strong-Mount!

Just FWIW, Independace and CBC 9 run thru the 550 just fine.