Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 or 610 for IDPA?

xuxupecheur

I'm considering purchasing a moonclip revo for IDPA and eventually USPSA. I've narrowed my choices to the two guns above.

I currently do not reload (a friend of mine does it for me) Cost of ammo is a factor, so I'm leaning towards the 610 in which I can use white box 180 gr. 40 S&W. What PF do you get out of a 4 inch 610 with this load? If closer to 165 than any factory 45 ACP then the 610 would be more appealing over all. I'm also pretty sensitive to felt recoil, so I think the extra weight of the 610 will not hurt.

I'll appreciate you opinions on this matter. What would you choose?

Cheers!

Julio

The 610 has a devout following, but the 625 is the benchmark for USPSA Revolver and IDPA.

Best two cases for the 610 I've heard was having .40 dies and brass and not wanting to convert to another caliber, or someone who is just a total 10mm fan.

Most people find the 625 loads faster which helps them out.

Ted

I just bought one of the new 625JM's. Nice revolver and comes standard with 4" barrel, gold bead front sight, hard chrome narrow grooved trigger and hammer (DA is very heavy out of the box) and Miculek grips. Price was only slightly higher than a standard 4 inch.

Since I can get fullmoon clips for 5/$2, made it easier to decide for me. Also, I already reload 45 so ammo wasn't an issue (although I also reload 40). Those big 230 grain bullets really drop freely into those cavernous holes in the cylinder. Easy to reload.

Another possible consideration...besides the 50 oz weight rule, rumor is that Smith may discontinue the 610. You should be able to pick up a used 625 for $450-500. Take the savings and buy a Square Deal...

Another possible consideration...besides the 50 oz weight rule, rumor is that Smith may discontinue the 610. You should be able to pick up a used 625 for $450-500. Take the savings and buy a Square Deal...

As far as I know the 610 has already been discontinued.

I have owned and competed with both a 610 and a 625. The moon clips for a 610 are more expensive ($75 per 100 compared to $25 per 100). The 625 seemed a better gun for the sports to me so I traded off my 610.

They are both excellent guns but there are slight differences that you will probably need to test. As far as ammo, reloading for revolver in these sports is really kind of a necessity. The lighter Federal primers allow better action work.

Good luck, I am sure you will enjoy which ever model you choose.

Regards,

The 610 has been discontinued more than once :D

I have a 610 classic, it's pretty useless for IDPA as it is way too large. I have fun with in in ICORE and IPSC revo division. My reason for buying it was so that I did not need to load for another caliber. I had a 40 already, may as well share components. I rarely shoot full power 10's out of it these days anyway.

Vince

I have 2 of each and their isn't a great deal of difference as far as reloads go, a 180 gr. rn 40 cal. and a 230 gr. rn 45 cal both load about the same for me. A 40 case is a little shorter than the 45 case so it should actually be a little faster. The 45 is far and away the most popular though. Another factor is the recoil, a 4" 610 weighs more than a 5" 45 acp, so if both are loaded to equal power factor the 610 will control a little easier. You can't go to far wrong with either. Any revolver is fun!

Dick

Ted:

I will indeed !!! You know what happened the last time. I bought a 646 which is now somewhere in MO. Part of the fun of this hobby is thinking what's next. That's all !!!

Besides that I have run out of permits, and here in NJ it will take over a month to get new ones.

I went to Blue Ridge a couple of weeks ago hoping to meet you but it seems like you did not make it. If you don't mind I'll give you a call one of this days, so you can guide me on a couple of issues.

Cheers !!!

Julio

I went to Blue Ridge a couple of weeks ago hoping to meet you but it seems like you did not make it.

I really wanted to make the match but just wan't sure I should. Just wasn't up to it.

Be better by next month though. Shot USPSA last week (sans crutches) and even Ro'ed without limping too much which made me pretty happy.

Ted

Decelleraton Trauma :)

Took a header off a ladder, fell 15 feet onto a Snap-On tool cart then onto the ground. Sprained my knee, ankle and hip. Plus some intensely bad bruises. The cart fared pretty well except for a dent. Those things are pretty tough.

Docs couldn't believe that's all I got, they checked me for all sorts of internal injuries because of the height. So with that in mind, the sprains didn't upset me too much. :)

ted

I'm considering purchasing a moonclip revo for IDPA and eventually USPSA. I've narrowed my choices to the two guns above.

I currently do not reload (a friend of mine does it for me) Cost of ammo is a factor, so I'm leaning towards the 610 in which I can use white box 180 gr. 40 S&W. What PF do you get out of a 4 inch 610 with this load? If closer to 165 than any factory 45 ACP then the 610 would be more appealing over all. I'm also pretty sensitive to felt recoil, so I think the extra weight of the 610 will not hurt.

I'll appreciate you opinions on this matter. What would you choose?

Cheers!

Julio

Another vote for the 625. I personally like the recoil better than that of the 610. Factory ammo is cheaper also although I roll my own. Both are nice revos but the 625 is more popular in competitions for good reasons.

Where does one buy moonclips @ $25 per 100???

sensei, Love those grips.

Is there a difference between the 25-2 and 625? Besides the stainless.

Thanks

Nowhere anymore that I know of, Ive done alot of searching and best deal I found was Ranch Products. I just got 40 moonclips from them for 19.95 there sold in packs of 8 for 3.99 shipped

you can call them at 313-277-3118

Get a 686 or 586 modified to accept moon-clips and load it w/ light 158 gr 357s . You'll shoot for about half of what a feeding a 625 would cost you (i.e you can practice twice as much for the same price) and can also use it in SSR with 38 +P+s. Tall skinny guys (357s) can run with the short fat guys (625) with practice. Hell - some tall bald headed guy shooting a Ruger - yes, a Ruger - finished 6th overall out of 34, and 2nd in SSR-EX last week in the 05WCs.

Is there a difference between the 25-2 and 625? Besides the stainless.

The 25-2 is a blue gun with an ejector rod shroud rather than a full underlug. It came from the factory with either a six or six-and-a-half inch barrel (factory four and five inch versions are known, but collector's items). It was built as a bullseye gun for folks who didn't want to use bottomfeeders; the 625 came about due to demand from bowling pin shooters. The 25-2 is WAY prettier. ;)