Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 3Gun: Thinking about an M2

anaxagoras

I'm wanting to get into 3gun, but I'm lacking an appropriate shotgun. Currently I've got a saiga 12 range toy, and a Fabarm XLR5 32" AR clay gun.

I've been keeping my eyes open and I found a great deal locally on a brand new Benelli M2 Tactical. 18.5" barrel with pistol grip stock for $999. Now I know if i'm going to be competitive that the gun will need some work. Out the door the shell carrier/lifter will need to be welded, and i'll need a mag tube extension. The barrel length may not be ideal but i suppose I could always get another barrel for it and have the versatility to swap them out. The only shotgun i have with a pistol griop is the saiga, and that's a different beast. I'm not sure if the pistol grip stock is ideal for 3gun either or if i'm betting off with the comfotech stock.

The question is, is it a good base? And for the price is it worth it to get it and send it into a custom shop a year or so down line after I start to build my skills up? Or to just buy something that's tweaked out now and spend the money up front?

For the record the money itself isn't an issue I'd rather buy something that I'll keep for a while than trade it up in a year, I always like to get the best bang for my buck and maybe a mutually exclusive goal I don't want to break the bank on all the toys until i'm sure it's a sport i'm going to stick with. So ideally I'd want something that I can build up down the line, and at least with the 18.5" tactical model i'll still have a fun range toy and HD shotgun if 3gun ends up not being my thing..

I'm not entirely dead set on the Benelli, it just seems like too good of a deal to pass up so I'm trying to sell myself on it. Which is why I'm here. Are there any reasons I shouldn't get it? Better options out there?

Edited by anaxagoras

Just my .02, but I'd wait to get the barrel length you want...replacing barrels isn't cheap and 18.5" is not ideal for 3 gun imo

I don't see too many pistol grips in use either. With multiple ways to load, it may be more in the way if you dual or quad load in the future

It would be worth your time to check with Mike at Accurate Iron to see if he has any ready to go...great gunsmith if you can snag one from him

I have been suggesting the new Browning A5 for most shooters. Especially new shooters that may struggle with round counts and misses, the auto-load feature can really help make up some time for those mistakes. New A5s are about $1200, and as a new shooter you really only need a Nordic tube $80, follower $20, welded lifter $60-80 and a good loading port job $120-150.

I posted this on another thread....

Advantages---- compared to most shotguns.

++++ auto load feature HUGE FEATURE, especially in shotgun only match.
+++ low profile forearm GREAT FOR QUAD LOADERS.
+++ under 7 pounds with 10rd Nordic tube. (The official Browning weight is way off! :) ).
++ the tube mouth is pretty close to the bottom of the forearm
++ you can mill past the shell stop quite a ways.
++ shell catch has nice unload feature, great for practicing.
+ rubber coating is nice. (My opinion).
+ POA/poi good (the ones I have seen).
+ 4 round length forearm
+ Brownelli (inertia recoil system) +cleaning vs gas.
Disadvantages----
--recoil stiffer than gas op systems
--Not a proven design with long durability like Benelli.

The 18" barrel is fine and the pistol grip is fine too. The only part which you really need is removable choke tubes. One if the tac models has choke tubes while the other doesn't. If you don't have this feature, there will be stages where you end up firing multiple shots to knock down stuborn steel. It isn't mainstream for sure, but it you like it, then it's a grab.

If money is not an issue (as you said) Taran Tactical Innovations M2, Accurate Iron M2 and Rose Action Sports M2 all will have you happy in their purchase.

I own the TTI gear and it is first rate! The other two gentlemen are known to me and are good men who perform excellent work, I just don't own any.

+++ for TTI and Rose Action Sports.

If you want to run the pistol grip Benelli, make sure you get rifle sights and 18" barrel with chokes. Taran Tac lifter and recoil spring are a must.

(this is coming from a shooter with a Benelli pistol grip in his profile pic! :) )

Edited by roxymajor

Yeah, I think you all are right. It's a good price, but I can't think of any use for the M2 as configured. For home defense I'd rather have the M4 with the tactical config, and for 3gun, i'm better off getting the m2 configured the way I want out the door because swapping out the barrel and the stock get expensive. I didn't realize how much they cost.

While i'm not familiar with any of these guys I'm sure at the end of the day TTI, Accurate Iron, and Rose Action are all similar, just have to decide who to order from. Or if maybe i want to consider a Beretta or Browning as others have mentioned. Time to go to the local gun shop and shoulder a few of those guys to see what I like.

Edited by anaxagoras

Yeah, I think you all are right. It's a good price, but I can't think of any use for the M2 as configured. For home defense I'd rather have the M4 with the tactical config, and for 3gun, i'm better off getting the m2 configured the way I want out the door because swapping out the barrel and the stock get expensive. I didn't realize how much they cost.

While i'm not familiar with any of these guys I'm sure at the end of the day TTI, Accurate Iron, and Rose Action are all similar, just have to decide who to order from. Or if maybe i want to consider a Beretta or Browning as others have mentioned. Time to go to the local gun shop and shoulder a few of those guys to see what I like.

I have time behind all of them and time 'smithing all of them as well. I may not be the Guru some say I am, but I do know my shotguns.

You are smart to find a shop and test shoulder them, but please, if it comes to a draw and the M2 in still in the mix...go with the M2!!! (TTI M2)

I like how the benelli's point but I don't like the recoil at all. Make sure you fire one first before the plunge. Due to injuries in my neck I'm versa max all the way. Give one a shot before you decide on the inertia system guns.

I've done this three times now, one was my own son, with relatively new shooters. All were smaller in stature and weighing less than 125 pounds.

I'd take a few minutes to add some pad to the stock to get the fit as close as I could for each then set a box with 15 birdshot and 5 slugs each next to an M2, VersaMax, SLP, and an M3000. All four were set up for 3gun. I wrote out a drill sequence to shoot the shells. All three chose the M3000 as the one they preferred. None of them really knew anything about the costs or what pros shoot which guns nor the marketing associated with the four shotguns. Not scientific, just three data points at best.

As another option take a look at a Beretta 1301 comp

I have been running one for over a year now, and while I'm not close to hanging with Mr. Kelley and the like anytime soon I will its a very nice shotgun. And on the upside VERY little work to 3 gun ready. I slapped a Nordic tube on it and I was off and running. Only other thing I did after shooting a few matches was to open the loading port a bit more and I need to sand the handguard a touch to accommodate quads better. Nothing against the M2s users and its a mighty fine shotgun, but for something that is ready out of the box the Beretta is hard to beat.

I taught 7 intro to competition shotgun loading courses at the A Girl and a Gun conference this weekend. Most of the women preferred to load the M2 and some preferred shooting it. Only 2 groups got to shoot a worked over M3000 and they all liked it. Had a few VersaMaxs that caused loading fits because they were not modified correctly.

Those who had bought a JM930, 1100 or a 1301 were generally upset at the people who had recommended them after they were able to directly compare the differences. Even just practicing loading, the shortcomings bit several. The "auto" unload on the 1301 can be shocking and comparing recoil, few liked shooting it.

High points: Seeing about 50 ladies, mostly starting off not liking, even scared of the shotgun and watching them come to understand and enjoy the shotgun over the course of 2 hours.

Low points: Whether it was the JM930, VersaMax Competition or the Benelli 3Gun, there was almost a universal displeasure that they had bought something touted as "ready" for 3Gun that really was not even close.

While women's perceptions are different than men's, they certainly seemed to be more direct about their likes and dislikes and less hung up on what the collective of the internet says.

You want me to ruin the surprise?

The shell release button is at the rear of the lifter, or the front of the trigger guard. For me, that was the non-starter the first time I shot one last year. If you happen to hit it while you are loading, you either ghost, jam or unload.

If you are practicing loading, it is nice, but if it happens when you do not want it to, not nice. The trigger release of the shell is the only thing I really like about the 1301, but KurtM and Trapr really like them a lot. :) I am sure that for some people it is not an issue.

I am perfectly happy with my M2 Tactical, but I would not shoot it with the pistol grip. I think the ComforTech stock is kind of a must-have for the Benelli. That right there is the reason the gun you are looking at as just a grand; the ComforTech adds a couple hundred to the price.