Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Owners Weigh In! 3-Gun Build.

AlbinLee

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to get feedback on a custom build order I am about to submit to JP Enterprises. I have weighed the cost vs. benefit of building my own rifle, and decided (for a number of reasons) that I want JP to build mine. Their designs, craftsmanship, etc all fall in line with exactly the rifle I am looking for, so I really won't need to change a thing when I finally get it.

My Build: JP-15 Upper/Lower Platform, Matte Black Anodized in .223 Wylde

-18" Supermatch, 1:8 twist, light contour, black Teflon finish

-Standard JP TRE-2 Comp, blended, black

-Handguard: JP MK III Signature Tube, 15.5" Extra Long

-Low Profile JP Adjustable Gas, black

-JP Thermal Dissipator, black

-TI-7 Adjustable Stock

-Low Mass JP Carrier, black

-JP Silent Captured Spring, std. weight

-Comp Trigger, JP 3-3.5 lb.

-Magpul MIAD grip, black

-US Flag Lasermark (yup, it's happening)

-2 inch rail for front sight, 12:00 position

I actually called JP with a rough idea of what I was trying to build, and they were super helpful in helping me put together a solid build. Unfortunately, their CMT hours are hard for me to reach during a normal workday, so I figured you all could help.

I am debating the Mk 3 Rapid Config tube instead of the signature, but it is really hard to tell from the website photos how aggressive the knurling is? I know the Mk 2 and prior were smooth aluminum, but the new Rapids are definitely textured. Just wondering if anyone runs this tube and how rough it really is? The weight savings of 3 ounces is worth considering (and no backplates needed for rail attachments).

Also, does anyone have an 18" light bbl JP with (relatively) similar arrangements? The JP rifle builder does not specify the total build weight, which seems strange, but I actually put together a spreadsheet and came up with about 7.8 lbs (Signature tube), or 7.6 lbs (Rapid tube).

Anyways, I know that was probably a boring read, but I am super pumped about submitting this order and want it to be perfect!

Regards,

Al

All my 3-gun rifles started life as a JP complete uppers (no heat sink), the rifle I currently shoot is the 18" light contour rifle on a CTR reciever, only things that are not JP on that rifle is the break (Surefire MB556k) and Handgaurd assembly (Samson 15" evo). JP rifles will always be the Ferrari of the 3gun rifle world.

I have the 18" light barrel without thermal dissipater. It shoots just fine and if you are concerned about weight then I would skip it. It didn't seem to mind at Ironman last year. That said I never tried it with it one so who knows how much better it would be.

all my 3 gun builds are with JP parts. just finished a 16" ultralite. went with a CF Lancer handguard to lighten it up even more. shoots sub MOA easily. you won't be disappointed. they are the Ferrari of rifles as far as i'm concerned.

post-2786-0-63860900-1428621959_thumb.jp

I have the new Mk handgaurd in the rapid configuration and love it. I also have both styles in the original finish and prefer the new texture. Don't shoot it off your car hood as it will scratch the heck out of it!

I have the new Mk handgaurd in the rapid configuration and love it. I also have both styles in the original finish and prefer the new texture. Don't shoot it off your car hood as it will scratch the heck out of it!

Thanks to everyone for weighing in! This has been a really friendly response so far. Interesting material regarding the aluminum cooling fins btw. I can see how both arguments are reasonable, but with regard to the thermal coefficient of expansion... some popular gas blocks are aluminum (from what I can tell, even JP makes them), so if the expansion rate/difference was really drastic, steel blocks would be the industry standard... right? I definitely agree with Deerhunter though, because the dissipator weighs almost 7 oz! Definitely not ideal for a super light build. My only justification for adding that kind of weight would be a measurable difference in bbl life, especially in close range/rapid fire COF's. I guess I need to re-evaluate the need for one.

Colodrew and Brian, thanks for the feedback on the Mk III Rapid. The JP site shows them being knurled, with an obviously more aggressive pattern than the Signature. I was just curious if this was like hand-grating, gloves needed type of knurling, or just a comfortable gripping surface. I use Talon Grips on my production Glock 34 (basically skateboard griptape), so anything less than/equal to that aggressive texture is perfect for me. It's almost a must up here in the greater Seattle region (lots of rain).

Mkink: I originally wanted to run a 16" bbl with the 15.5 handguard because aesthetically I like the way it looks, but after speaking to a JP rep, I learned that the 18" bbl/rifle length gas system can be smoother overall with the recoil impulse. Unfortunately, it seems that the 16" system JP offers only comes in a mid-length gas variety. I wanted as light/compact as I could get for my build, but ultimately the 2 inch difference was worth the trade-off for a smoother gas system and 25-50 more fps.

all my 3 gun builds are with JP parts. just finished a 16" ultralite. went with a CF Lancer handguard to lighten it up even more. shoots sub MOA easily. you won't be disappointed. they are the Ferrari of rifles as far as i'm concerned.

Man that baby looks light with the CF handguard! Have you ever put it on a scale?

I was aiming for low 7 lb. range for my build, and with the Mk III Rapid tube and no dissipator it would clock in around 7.18 lb naked. Super impressed with the JP parts coming in that low with mostly aluminum/steel construction!

I've got a couple of JP15's and I would go with the RC handguard and no thermal dissipator simply to cut down on the weight.

With an aimpoint micro/RDS, they handle OK. With a Vortex 1-6, its a brick, IMO. My next mod will be a CF handguard that's about 8 oz lighter than the RC.

While I do think JP makes some fine gear.

With all the quality parts and assemblies available, I think you limit yourself by sticking just with JP.

Gibbz Side Charger upper, I really like this upper. Non reciprocating and I think more ergonomic.

Quinten Defense Navy Billet lower.

Hyperfyre 24c

AP customs low mass bolt

Jp captured spring

JP Heat Sink (probably overkill and not in pictures)

JP 18 inch light weight barrel

JP low profile adjustable gas

BCM KMR 15 inch hand guard

JP comp

Warne SKEL mount

BAD Lever

Vortex Razor JM reticle 1x6 (I agree, it is a brick, but imo, the best thing going.)

Oversize mag release.

Ace Stock

post-53044-0-46335300-1428667301_thumb.j

post-53044-0-29681300-1428667380_thumb.j

Edited by Bigsampson

Mine is just like yours but no thermal dissapator. I had a medium contour barrel and went with light. I think the rifle lost about .5 lb and swings much faster for me. I've also added Ultra LMOS recently. I like the feel.

The knurling isn't aggressive but very grippy.

Honestly that is probably the best photo on the internet right now showing the Mk3 Rapid knurling. No joke!

With all the quality parts and assemblies available, I think you limit yourself by sticking just with JP.

Gibbz Side Charger upper, I really like this upper. Non reciprocating and I think more ergonomic.

Hyperfyre 24c

AP customs low mass bolt

Jp captured spring

JP comp

Warne SKEL mount

BAD Lever

Vortex Razor JM reticle 1x6 (I agree, it is a brick, but imo, the best thing going.)

Oversize mag release.

Ace Stock

attachicon.gifleft2.jpg

attachicon.gifright 2.jpg

That is a sweet looking build right there! I really like the blue touches... not overkill. Honestly, I had originally planned to do a complete custom build, maybe 50% JP parts, but the volume of parts on the market right now is super overwhelming. I thought about spending some time at the 3-gun matches (occasionally they run after USPSA on Sunday mornings), but that would be pretty time consuming just to see what manufacturers and parts people trust to game with. It seemed, based on everything I have read and seen, that I could not go wrong with a complete JP build.

On a semi-related note:

Would you guys recommend starting out with a standard set of flip up iron sights? I.E. Magpul, Troy, Diamondhead. My plan was to start out shooting the "USPSA Production" equivalent class in 3-Gun, which I believe is Limited. Should I just buy a set of 45 degree offset sights as my first set, or start with irons and plan to co-witness? You guys seem like you would know.

Edited by AlbinLee

just finished this today...thought about JP to just build me one but i wanted a different setup and ended up just using my spare lower and slick side upper with some JP and other stuff.

here are the specs.

JP 18 medium contour barrel kit with heat sink

JP LMOS bcg

JP SCRS buffer

Lancer A1 carbon stock

Lancer rifle length plus carbon handguard with premium slots

Geissele S3G

Seekins bolt catch and mag release

battle arms safety

Rhino magwell

magpul moe grip

KAC trigger guard

Nightforce NXS 1-4 FC-3G

Bobro extended mount

20150409_214213-1.jpg

20150409_214121-1.jpg

20150409_214026-1.jpg

My jp is similar to your spec except it has a psc 11 upper and I run a magpul ubr stock. I had an ace arfx but it never felt right. I have a red dissipator and its got to reduce heat. So many folks are freaky about weight. I'm not. But I also run a CZ sp01 shadow. The rifle is incredible. Its amazingly accurate, reliable and it just feels "right". I couldn't be happier with it. I haven't weighed it-- it did feel a little heavy until I bought an AR10. Now it feels light.

go for it, you will love your jp.

Edited by twowheels

I have a JP PSC-11 upper, 18" medium contour barrel with the heat sink which results in a rifle balanced perfectly for me. I run a relative light scope (Burris) so if I add a heavier optic it may get a bit nose heavy. If it does, I may remove the heat sink to try to balance it out again.

I really don't think I do enough continuous firing in three gun matches to make the heat sink necessary. If I were doing continuous mag dumps like some of the carbine courses out there do it would be more useful.

I think you'll be very happy with this rifle as you've described it. I had a couple of Bushmasters and a Sig before I took the plunge for the JP. The difference in performance is amazing - I love my JP!

Hyperfyre 24c

AP customs low mass bolt

Jp captured spring

JP comp

Warne SKEL mount

BAD Lever

Oversize mag release.

Ace Stock

attachicon.gifleft2.jpg

attachicon.gifright 2.jpg

WOW gorgeus rig buddy!!

just finished this today...thought about JP to just build me one but i wanted a different setup and ended up just using my spare lower and slick side upper with some JP and other stuff.

here are the specs.

JP 18 medium contour barrel kit with heat sink

JP LMOS bcg

JP SCRS buffer

Lancer A1 carbon stock

Lancer rifle length plus carbon handguard with premium slots

Geissele S3G

Seekins bolt catch and mag release

battle arms safety

Rhino magwell

magpul moe grip

KAC trigger guard

Nightforce NXS 1-4 FC-3G

Bobro extended mount

20150409_214213-1.jpg

20150409_214121-1.jpg

20150409_214026-1.jpg

congrats on a beautiful build!! Looks very lite!! may i ask how much she weighs in it?

I was in your same boat and ordered a complete JP Rifle here are my thoughts after shooting it for two years.

Ditch the thermal dissapator as many have said.

I'd lose the carbine stock and go with a Magpul PRS or the luth ar which is what I'm switching to I like having the ability to adjust comb height and a carbine stock doesn't give me that with the precision that those two stocks do.

I like the silent capture spring it is sweet, smooth and quiet and beats the heck out of dealing with the buffer and spring

The JP trigger is great but I noticed an immediate increase in accuracy with the Hiperfire 24c

I like the original JP handguard but I also bought a carbon arms tube for the JP barrel nut so I can switch between. The carbon arms tube has no slots and is much stronger. I had Mark from carbon arms show the difference in bending between his tube and the AP slotted tubes. It was night in day in how much the slotted tubes bend. He is not a fan of slotted carbon, or carbon buffer tubes due to some of the dangers of carbon flakes or dust they can create (a topic for another day). That way i can switch between the heavier Jp tube and the lighter carbon tube. Your shooting style will change. I used to think light was the best, then I needed heavy to steady me and now I'm looking for a little lighter but not too light. I have two handguards to suit me as needed.

I like the badger tactical latch that JP uses

I use a magpul BAD lever but the damn thing loosens up all the time I may switch to a one piece soon.

I like the custom JP logo hogue grips. i don't find the magpul grips that comfortable at all. I'm not a fan of hard plastic grips.

I run the low mass BCG and adjusable aluminum gas block and love them. I would get the new ultra light now.

Ditch iron sights they are useless and no one actually uses them they are opium for the masses. If you're going to shoot tactical shoot the burris 1x AR I just watched James Cassanova destroy with this optic at the SMM3G and there is nothing else close to it. Get the Strelok Iphone app and get to shooting.

Edited by JBOT5000

I was in your same boat and ordered a complete JP Rifle here are my thoughts after shooting it for two years.

Ditch the thermal dissapator as many have said.

I'd lose the carbine stock and go with a Magpul PRS or the luth ar which is what I'm switching to I like having the ability to adjust comb height and a carbine stock doesn't give me that with the precision that those two stocks do.

I like the silent capture spring it is sweet, smooth and quiet and beats the heck out of dealing with the buffer and spring

The JP trigger is great but I noticed an immediate increase in accuracy with the Hiperfire 24c

I like the original JP handguard but I also bought a carbon arms tube for the JP barrel nut so I can switch between. The carbon arms tube has no slots and is much stronger. I had Mark from carbon arms show the difference in bending between his tube and the AP slotted tubes. It was night in day in how much the slotted tubes bend. He is not a fan of slotted carbon, or carbon buffer tubes due to some of the dangers of carbon flakes or dust they can create (a topic for another day). That way i can switch between the heavier Jp tube and the lighter carbon tube. Your shooting style will change. I used to think light was the best, then I needed heavy to steady me and now I'm looking for a little lighter but not too light. I have two handguards to suit me as needed.

I like the badger tactical latch that JP uses

I use a magpul BAD lever but the damn thing loosens up all the time I may switch to a one piece soon.

I like the custom JP logo hogue grips. i don't find the magpul grips that comfortable at all. I'm not a fan of hard plastic grips.

I run the low mass BCG and adjusable aluminum gas block and love them. I would get the new ultra light now.

Ditch iron sights they are useless and no one actually uses them they are opium for the masses. If you're going to shoot tactical shoot the burris 1x AR I just watched James Cassanova destroy with this optic at the SMM3G and there is nothing else close to it. Get the Strelok Iphone app and get to shooting.

This is a wealth of great info from a 2 year JP shooter/owner! Thanks for taking the time to share some of your findings with the build.