Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun holster for 5" 2011

XtReMe90

I have a G Code XTS for a 5" sti. I use with a Rock Island with full rail. Retention is good and I love the spring loaded hood I know the gun can't fall out even if it snags a branch or barricade. I don't shoot uspsa that much anymore but it works ok just starting with the hood already down.

My Hayes is still being built also. :)

I know 3 of the local guys are using Safariland ALS for the Springfield Operator for theirs. I've used ALS for other pistols and really like it, so I have an ALS waiting for my 5" LDC. Really wish Safariland had a GLS for the 2011, as that holster is really fast and natural......has retention but is basically as fast as a non-retention holster. The GLS ProFit will accommodate a whole bunch of guns, but is dependent on the width of the trigger guard, so not sure that a 2011 will retain properly in it, although I know it will fit.

The Bladetech WRS is commonly seen in 3gun

Remember that in USPSA, if your holster has a retention strap, it must be activated prior to "stand-by". You would be better served with a different holster for 3 gun vs uspsa unless you get really fast at drawing with the retention.

5.2.5.3 . If a retaining strap is attached to a holster or magazine pouch, it must be applied or closed prior to issuance of the “Standby” command.

Currently using an original Center of Mass DOH holster for a 5" 2011. Its starting to show its age, and thinking about converting to the BOSS Hanger with BT (or a new gen COM since the new guys Steve will make them to fit the BOSS). I'm using the BOSS for Production and SS and really like this setup. As good of retention as the COM, though the hanger is a little stouter IMO.

I am a fan of the Safariland ALS and does anyone know where or if I can get one for a 5" LDC 2011?

AlS was my first choice because it worked so well with my glocks but I was told it was not made for a LDC

I run an ALS for my 2011. However, Safariland doesn't make one specifically for the 2011. You need to get model/type 6895-56 which is made for the Springfield Operator specifically. You'll also need to have a Dremel and a heat gun handy to do some minor modifications to it. Here's what you have to do for sure:

1. Using a dremel, cut away some of the material on the holster to make room for the magazine release You don't need to do much here, but it will rub especially if you have an extended mag release of some type.

2. Using a heat gun or really hot hair dryer, heat up the holster where it comes in contact with the grip. The 2011 grip is wider than the Springfield, so it needs to be opened up slightly. Heat up the Kydex, insert the gun, and wiggle it around just a bit. This will open it up to accommodate the 2011 grip.

I also recommend a couple additional modifications. They're not necessary, but make it easier to release gun on-the-clock:

1. The holster will have an anti-grab shield (not sure the exact terminology) that prevents someone from releasing the gun while facing you. It's held on by a couple screws to the side of the holster. Remove this as it will only get in the way.

2. There is a Kydex piece that covers the left-hand safety switch that (I assume) is to prevent the safety from being disengaged while the gun is holstered. It also makes it very difficult to get to the release when you're trying to draw the gun quickly. I cut this piece off and blended the edges into the rest of the holster. The release is much easier to actuate and it's easily shaved .5 seconds off my draw. Before making this change, I had to really concentrate on my grab/release otherwise, I'd try to pull the gun out, and it wouldn't budge.

3. This might be specific to my gun, but I had to GENTLY shave off a bit from the catch itself to make it easier to release the gun. The holster retains the gun by catching the slide on the edge of the ejection port. On my gun, this lip is pretty tall, so I really had to lever down on the release to get the gun out of the holster. I took the retention mechanism out (it's only held in by 1 screw on the top of the holster) and GENTLY filed the catch down a bit. Key word there is GENTLY. You don't want to take off too much otherwise, you lose retention entirely. Again, this may or may not apply to your gun, so use sound judgement for this step.

There are probably other holsters better-suited to hold a 2011, but I'm used to an ALS and I want something that will absolutely hold the gun during typical 3-gun stage transitions. As with most things 3-gun-accessory related, your mileage may vary.

Here's some pictures for y'alls consideration. I can take others if needed/requested.

post-44734-0-61847800-1428673246_thumb.j

post-44734-0-54751900-1428673257_thumb.j

post-44734-0-78097800-1428673267_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

STI and SVI trigger guards look pretty much the same at the front in pictures I just googled, so if you have a specific example, that may help answer. Don't have a SVI, so send me one, and I'll check on my holsters. :)

But I will say that the STI Edge trigger guard/frame works just fine in my ALS.........

Perfect thanks for the quick response.

DAA racer for my trubor. Locks up hard and is comfortable to move in. Glad i got it because i can haul around a stage like a cut cat knowing its going to stay put.

Was using a bladetech doh for my shadow when 3 gunning but they flop around too much and i was forever conscious about the gun falling out even though its not going to. It made me adopt this kind of bizzare running style, kind of like a cross between a duck waddling and a shuffle. Wasnt pretty! Another bloke with the same setup was doing the same thing! Its fine for ipsc but i didnt like having to do much moving around with it.

Yet another member found the same thing happened to him with his sti and hes gone to some safariland race type holster. Not sure of model.