Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transition with your hips or your shoulders?

Wesquire

If possible keep your arms and shoulders and head locked in position and rotate at the hips knees and ankles. Then there are the "other" targets "THEY" set to force you into impossible positions. You must practice these too and learn to shoot all wrapped up. I shot one low port at the Nationals last year lying on my back, shooting between my feet.

The training material from the guys who's opinions are worth a lot pretty consistently says to drive the big transitions with the legs.

Easier said than done without good practice!

yeah, big transition are different. I'm talking 1-2 yard transitions at 10 yards type of stuff. Edited by Wesquire

If possible keep your arms and shoulders and head locked in position and rotate at the hips knees and ankles. Then there are the "other" targets "THEY" set to force you into impossible positions. You must practice these too and learn to shoot all wrapped up. I shot one low port at the Nationals last year lying on my back, shooting between my feet.

Damm!

I'd end up shooting myself in the foot!

The training material from the guys who's opinions are worth a lot pretty consistently says to drive the big transitions with the legs.

Easier said than done without good practice!

yeah, big transition are different. I'm talking 1-2 yard transitions at 10 yards type of stuff.

How about just focusing on driving the gun on those? Let the body catch up?

Do you turn your body and keep your arms in the same position?

For most every transition, nothing from the waist up should move.

The movement initiates from your feet, in contact with the ground. Sitting in my office chair (that swivels), with my feet floating in the air and my arms in a freestyle shooting position, it's not possible to transition. :)

The movement initiates from your feet, in contact with the ground. Sitting in my office chair (that swivels), with my feet floating in the air and my arms in a freestyle shooting position, it's not possible to transition. :)

isn't that drastically slower on small transitions?

Yeah that Enos guy has no idea :) jk

Yeah that Enos guy has no idea :) jk

just trying to clarify

No matter how close or far you have to move, there is no other way for your upper body to pivot.

Where the eyes go, the gun will follow....this is what gives speed.

If you move your shoulders you lose stability and "index" (I'm not sure I'm explaining it well). With a bit of practice, hip, knee and ankle joint movement is plenty fast - and nice and stable..

Edited by Cliveb

So what about up down targets. Say for example two targets on the same sticks, do you move the weapon up and down or do you bend your back slightly as to keep your shoulders and weapon locked into the same place? Seems to me in dry fire that I am faster to bend my back slightly.