Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broke casings in chamber?

wblacksh

I am working on a load for my trubor in 9mm and ran into a problem today. I ended up at 8.9gr of HS-6 under a 124gr xtreme bullet with CCI large rifle primers. I went to the range this morning and fired a few of this new load to look for pressure signs before putting it on the chrono. I fired about 20 or so shots and then rounds wouldn't chamber at all. The last round had fired just fine. The back 1/2 of the round was no where to be found. I came home to inspect and found that about 1/2 of a casing was stuck in the chamber. I finagled it out of there and cleaned everything. I headed back to the range to try it again thinking maybe it was just a fluke. The exact same thing happened again. Both times before I got to the chrono, so unfortunately I don't know the velocity and can't calculate the power factor. I have already pulled the second one out and cleaned it all again. Next time I will be sure to chrono first.

Now for the inspection. everything in the pictures is from this load. The primers look a little too "punched" I am thinking. What does everyone else think about the primers. Am I exceeding pressures?

I am using mixed stamp brass picked up from a local range that doesn't allow hand-loaded ammo, so I have to assume it is all once-fired factory stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could cause this? I didn't find anything on the search. I was searching for broken case in chamber. This trubor has about 400 rounds through it so far and I have shot 1 USPSA match with it. The lighter (less powder loads) I have tried were all fine.

I thought it was a fluke the first time, but now I am worried I am doing something wrong.

I want to add that the buggered-up-ness in the picture was from me pulling it out. They were perfectly formed to the inner wall of the chamber.

post-56533-0-08134200-1427579235_thumb.j

post-56533-0-41352100-1427579240_thumb.j

Edited by wblacksh

Get rid of those IMT and Ammoload stamped brass.

They have a step on the inside that's been causing headaches for reloaders.

I was wondering about those. I didn't know what the step was for anyways. The step didn't seem to be at the same depth as where the cases broke and I couldn't find any of the head of the cases that broke. Do you think those could be the culprit?

Get rid of those IMT and Ammoload stamped brass.

They have a step on the inside that's been causing headaches for reloaders.

yep. I'll bet every one of those was an IMT OR AMMOLOAD case. I hope whoever said the other day that they reloaded them just fine sees this.

Without regard to the brass, which I know nothing about, I will say 4 of the 8 primers look flat to me but it is kind of hard to tell from the pictures.

I'd spend a $100 and get a chrono.

8.9 grns of HS6 with 124 grn Xtreme is way too hot. I get 172 PF with 8.0. I would suspect you are well over 1500 FPS.

Do not even attempt to load IMT brass. Throw it far far away! I had the same experience that you had 5 times before I figured it out. I know...I'm a little slow.

Without regard to the brass, which I know nothing about, I will say 4 of the 8 primers look flat to me but it is kind of hard to tell from the pictures.

Flay primers? Not even.......

This is a flat primer!

post-16683-0-86429600-1427588073_thumb.j

Thanks everyone. I am glad I found the issue so fast. I am going to re-sort all my brass and toss it. I have shot about 400 rounds of my mixed brass that is about 127 power factor out of my glock 17 with no issues. I will shot up the rest of my minor rounds. But I won't load any more, minor or major, of the IMT or ammo load. I am also going to back my load down some and chrono it next time. I am going to back down to 8gr and start back over. I already have a chrono. I will make sure my first shots are through the chrono. Maybe if I would have chronoed the first few, I would have known it was too hot and stopped before I ran into problems.

Thanks again for all the comments. I learn something new every day!

8.9 grns of HS6 with 124 grn Xtreme is way too hot. I get 172 PF with 8.0. I would suspect you are well over 1500 FPS.

Do not even attempt to load IMT brass. Throw it far far away! I had the same experience that you had 5 times before I figured it out. I know...I'm a little slow.

+1 on this. I just chrono'd my new round this morning. 8.0gr HS-6,OAL 1.165 and 125gr BBI bullet. My PF is between 171 and 175, rough avg is about 1390fps through a Trubor 9mm. Please back your load down some and retest.

"I am working on a load for my trubor in 9mm and ran into a problem today. I ended up at 8.9gr of HS-6 under a 124gr xtreme bullet with CCI large rifle primers. I went to the range this morning and fired a few of this new load to look for pressure signs before putting it on the chrono. I fired about 20 or so shots and then rounds wouldn't chamber at all. The last round had fired just fine."

My first question was how in hell did he get large rifle primers in a 9mm case! :roflol:

Alan~^~

Two problems with the Ammoload and IMT, both related to the step.

1. The step is a natural weak point, it's a sharp edge on the inside where if the case is going to separate, that's where it will happen.(as has been said by others)

2. The step decreases the internal volume of the case increasing the pressure from the same powder charge. When you're on the ragged edge with a normal case, I can only imagine what the pressure or speed would be. I use Ammoload in minor loads without problem.

Alright. I can report back success!!! After sorting all my brass and starting over with my load. I ended up with 8gr of HS-6 under my 124 xtreme bullets for a 173 powerfactor. I had the Pro-Chrono and i was getting inaccurate readings before, that is how I ended up way too didn't think without knowing it. I bought the light kit for my chrono last week and get an accurate reading now. I thought I had enough light where I was at the local range before but apparently it wasn't. The light kit made all the difference in the slightly lower light I was in.

I am going to stick to this load (8gr HS-6) for now. I am shooting it in my Trubor. The dot in the c-more wiggles all over when i shoot, but the dot doesn't leave the glass. I know it will get better as I work on my grip with this gun.

A warning to those like me that are new to shooting open division, learning to load ammo, and loading major powerfactor all at the same time... make sure you are getting an accurate reading from the chrono, and pay attention to your brass and throw out IMT, Ammoload, and "FM". Looking back I should have linked up with someone else to try their chrono, or have them shoot their known load/gun through my chrono.

the same thing was happening to me and it was with brass with the step described on the inside of the case. I haven't chronoed any loads for a while because I'm in the process of buying a house and took down the press until I'm settled. I was going to post this question a couple months ago but didn't take pictures and it got put on the back burner for a while. Thanks to the op I'll have to sort out my brass once I get set up again ?

• 2 weeks later...

I just had this happen to me with IMT brass at a much lower PF. I'm shooting 124gn bullets over 4.25gn of HP-38. I was picking up my casings and sure enough I had one split right in half. I'll insure I start separating those out. I didn't think at 130ish PF that this would be an issue, but it is.

It appears freedom munitions is using some of these in there ammo. I saw a few shooters loading mags at BITB and there were both ammoload and IMT in the box.

Freedom munitions is what I was shooting/ collecting brass from until I started loading my own. That is where all of mine came from.

The primers in the OP pics are just fine, here is a flat primer from excessive pressure. The OPs problem is the junk IMT/Ammoland/Freedom brass, thats all.

image36874.jpg

wblacksh

I am working on a load for my trubor in 9mm and ran into a problem today. I ended up at 8.9gr of HS-6 under a 124gr xtreme bullet with CCI large rifle primers.

How did you seat large rifle primers in a 9mm???

IMT junk with small pistol primer

image36944.jpg

Edited by 9x45