Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Police trade-ins...really

LegionShooter

500 rounds per month is more like it

Depends on the SWAT Team and their budget. Most Departments in Texas qualify 1-2 times per year at 50-60 rounds each. SWAT probably shoots once a month unless it is a full time team. I would highly doubt even full time teams are shooting 500 rounds a month, even though they should.

Our county SWAT shoots more than that and they're not full time.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I didn't have to pay for college and all that jazz, I would certainly look at one. Absolute worst case scenario it has 35k on it? Doesn't sound like much to me. And even if they aren't as snazzy and full house custom as they are now, isn't that gonna be about as cheap as you can possibly get into the 2011 world (with magazines and everything) right now, except watching the classifieds here for something special to come up?

Based on the pictures on the other forum, they look pretty sweet to me!

Huh. Does it look like the pics of the other gun posted on 1911addicts has one or not?

Either I'm not seeing it, or some have it and some don't....[/quot

That is correct I know that not all of them have the interchangeable breech face, I seen that myself. If that is a deal breaker for you, or anyone else I would bet that a phone call, or email direct to the seller would be the best way to go. Like I posted before SV told me mine was built in 2000 if that has anything to do with having, or not having one.

These guns were bought in different batches. The early ones were bought in the late 90s, some more in the early 2000s when the team added members.. So, some might have the IBF, some may not.

Went to pick it up, but NICS is down. Gaaaahhhh!

I did inspect it, however. The one I got doesn't have the IBF, but does have some corrosion on the grip safety. Front sight looks to be no bueno, also. Other than that, it's in great condition, tight as a swiss watch, and came with 5 mags.

I'll get it for good as soon as NICS comes back up.

It's plain for an SVI, no doubt, but considering the mags and that there are no major issues with it, I think I got a good deal. My goal was cheaper than an STI edge new, with 4 mags. This is that by a long shot, considering I'd be smithing all over a stock STI to get it to where I like it (and this SVI is already there, aside from sights).

Seems a might high. I just got a new sti eagle 5.0 off gun broker for 1749.00 to my dealer. 5 new 18 round sti mags from Brownell's for 59 each.

Not trying to start an argument or any anything but you are in excess of $2k. And to get 20 rds reloadable you still need to get new mag guts and base pads. Yes the used SV needs new sights and maybe some new springs but it is still an SV with $400-500 in SV mags. Do I think they are priced a little high, yes. But as stated before, this is a great way to get into a good limited blaster with mags.

Seems a might high. I just got a new sti eagle 5.0 off gun broker for 1749.00 to my dealer. 5 new 18 round sti mags from Brownell's for 59 each.

Not trying to start an argument or any anything but you are in excess of $2k. And to get 20 rds reloadable you still need to get new mag guts and base pads. Yes the used SV needs new sights and maybe some new springs but it is still an SV with $400-500 in SV mags. Do I think they are priced a little high, yes. But as stated before, this is a great way to get into a good limited blaster with mags.

It's cool my gun and mags are NEW. I get to break it in, all 5, 18 rounders run great. I am not going to worry about 2 extra rounds doubt, they would cost me a any time or placement in a match.

It's a cool pistol no doubt but if it were the only pistol I could have I think I would opt for a brand new sti edge over a gun that is 20 years old with no owner to speak to.

If I could pick it up and inspect that might make for a different story......

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Edited by 3djedi

I did inspect it, however. The one I got doesn't have the IBF, but does have some corrosion on the grip safety. Front sight looks to be no bueno, also. Other than that, it's in great condition, tight as a swiss watch, and came with 5 mags.

It's plain for an SVI, no doubt, but considering the mags and that there are no major issues with it, I think I got a good deal. My goal was cheaper than an STI edge new, with 4 mags. This is that by a long shot, considering I'd be smithing all over a stock STI to get it to where I like it (and this SVI is already there, aside from sights).

Like I posted earlier, the Ed Brown version of the Bo - Mar adjustable sight is a direct replacement for the rear sight, and Dawson Precision have the front sights, plain, fiber, or night sights, Brownells have the Ed Brown adjustable rear sights, in both plain, and night sights. I am guessing that you will like it even more after you shoot it.

There are going to be pictures, right ........ RIGHT. We need first hand pics to make this valuable. :roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

I can post some pics tonight after a thorough cleaning. So far it doesn't look much different than the pics posted over on 1911addicts. What details in particular are you wanting to see? I'll try to make sure to get pics you're looking for when I take them.

I can post some pics tonight after a thorough cleaning. So far it doesn't look much different than the pics posted over on 1911addicts. What details in particular are you wanting to see? I'll try to make sure to get pics you're looking for when I take them.

Breachface pics would be nice. Also one of the barrel lugs - top and bottom

I contacted the seller direct and made contact with their buyer direct. He was very nice to talk to and told me the history on the guns and what they had done with them since they were purchased for resale. He sent me pictures of the exact gun I would be purchasing. It had a stippled grip, showed holster wear and some dis-coloration. Overall the gun looked to be in good condition but cosmetically I expected it to look better. He also told me, he would replace the springs and sites in the gun right away. But stated; they do shoot as good as you would expect them to. Like I said he was helpful and didn't hide anything when I asked my questions. So if you buy the gun, you will get what you expect when you receive it...

Honestly I am still on the fence. I look at a gun that is 15+years old, regardless of the quality when built, it is still that old I still wonder if today's technology would trump the technology from then???

I understand a "new" SVI is is at least double the price and obviously the top of the line today. But is the gun we are questioning about here, that good in today's standards compared to a new STI? ie: Eagle or Edge. Because you are at the same price point when you add in the upgrades needed on the older gun. Even through Dawson with a couple upgrades were only really talking a hundred dollars or so difference for either STI?

I have heard a few people state this is a great gun to get started in 2011 chassis? But I already have the Para Pro Custom which runs and works great,(For 1/2 the cost of these) so for me, I want this to be a true stepping stone to the next level of gun. So many decisions......

Edited by bajaholic

I'll get the pics. The gun I got doesn't have the interchangeable breechface, at least one person has reported getting one. The barrel and hood lugs are damn nice, super high polish on them, and no wear marks I could find. I inspected them at length when I got the gun apart.

Honestly I am still on the fence. I look at a gun that is 15+years old, regardless of the quality then compared to now, it is still that old I still wonder if today's technology would trump the technology from then???

This is a hundred year old gun design we're talking about here... even the change to double stack isn't much of a change when it comes to operation of the gun itself.

Does it have the very latest tweaks? No sighttracker, etc... so it doesn't. But neither do stock STI guns so it's not a valid comparison. If you buy a stock STI gun (or para) there's no amount of money that can be spent to get the frame/slide/barrel to fit as well as with the SVI.

I kinda wish I had talked to that dealer that you did before purchase, though. I had requested from sportsman's outdoors one of the stipled grip ones, but that's not what showed up. I would go for replacement springs and sights as well. I would have liked the IBF, too. PM me his contact info, if you wouldn't mind.

They are old and SV did not have the quality they have today

My friend Walter Crag down Wichita way ran a SVI Infinity back in 95 it was beautiful and ran flawlessly, just a Awesome gun. Back then, I could only afford a Para P16 but It ran great too, and I did very well with it. Now I have a very nice STI Eagle 5.0 it too is fast and smooth and I love it, So it is all good.