Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Police trade-ins...really

LegionShooter

We all have friends, opinions and stories. That is why we are here, to share those. When we start being rude, antagonistic and start name calling, we have to hide posts.....I'd rather read them than hide them. Please play nice or play elsewhere....

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These look like the the SVs that the Greene Co. Sheriff's Office in Ohio got for their SWAT team back in the 90's. The commander of the team at the time was a master class open shooter. He got them from Shooter's Connection when they still carried SV. At some point, they were Armoloy'd. I can't tell what finish is on these guns, but they are a dead ringer for the GCSO guns. Budgets at the time did not allow tons of practice, but they did practice once a month. They quit carrying them in 2005 or 2006 when they went to Glocks for the whole agency. We tried to buy some, but the sheriff stuck them in the armory, where I last heard they sat.

This sounds about right.....

These look like the the SVs that the Greene Co. Sheriff's Office in Ohio got for their SWAT team back in the 90's. The commander of the team at the time was a master class open shooter. He got them from Shooter's Connection when they still carried SV. At some point, they were Armoloy'd. I can't tell what finish is on these guns, but they are a dead ringer for the GCSO guns. Budgets at the time did not allow tons of practice, but they did practice once a month. They quit carrying them in 2005 or 2006 when they went to Glocks for the whole agency. We tried to buy some, but the sheriff stuck them in the armory, where I last heard they sat.

You are 100% correct that is where they came from, I purchased one direct from the dealer that got them from Greene Co. S.O. It is a shooter, I replaced the front, and rear sight, cleaned it, adjusted the trigger, nothing else was needed, all of the magazines function I called SV with my serial number, and they told me that mine was built in 2000. I am really happy with the gun, at some point I may have it refinished, but then again it has character the way it is.

You are 100% correct that is where they came from, I purchased one direct from the dealer that got them from Greene Co. S.O. It is a shooter, I replaced the front, and rear sight, cleaned it, adjusted the trigger, nothing else was needed, all of the magazines function I called SV with my serial number, and they told me that mine was built in 2000. I am really happy with the gun, at some point I may have it refinished, but then again it has character the way it is.

So in your opinion, are these worth the $2000 price tag?

So in your opinion, are these worth the $2000 price tag?[/quote

You know what they say about an opinion, everyone has one, mine should be clear from my post.

As I said in my post " I am really happy with the gun " in fact I actually may buy another one.

Any chance you could post a pic for all us fence sitters?

Well, I ordered, for better or for worse.

I've desperately needed a 2011 for competition, always wanted a 40, and its a great deal if the mags work, even if it was an STI.

From what I'm hearing it sounds like 10 years at like 1k rounds/year. That's still pretty new by competition shooter counting.

If it's shot to hell I'll get a new barrel from svi.

Edited by jtaylor996

Well, I ordered, for better or for worse.

You are a braver man than I am.

My earlier comment about them being available for April's fools was mainly due to the fact that they were PD trade in's and the price seemed a bit excessive (to me). Granted I am not an expert on SVI stuff, but I just couldn't see paying so much for what would most likely be a used and abused piece that would most likely need a good tear down, inspection, and rebuild by a 'smith.

I also know someone local that already got one ;)

I can probably tear it down completely and rebuild in less than 5 minutes myself. That doesn't scare me a bit. I'm well versed in the 1911 platform smithing as long as a milling machine isn't required.

Considering it comes with 4 mags, this is likely the cheapest 2011 of any kind I can go out and buy right now. I don't think it will be trashed, myself.

As long as the slide and SS are tight I can work with it.

I also know someone local that already got one ;)

I can probably tear it down completely and rebuild in less than 5 minutes myself. That doesn't scare me a bit. I'm well versed in the 1911 platform smithing as long as a milling machine isn't required.

Considering it comes with 4 mags, this is likely the cheapest 2011 of any kind I can go out and buy right now. I don't think it will be trashed, myself.

As long as the slide and SS are tight I can work with it.

Then it is definitely nice to get a looksey ahead of a purchase!

I don't have any issues with the platform either, I would just be wary of what might come out of an LE armory somewhere (the things I have seen that are burned into my memory- ugh).

Buy if you are in the market and it meets your needs, then it is a bargain.

My non full time team trains at least 20hrs a month (I think NTOA minimum is 16hrs). That's a lot of rounds. couple that with 2k round count schools and that gun has seen quite a bit bang time. I'd steer clear.

I got an answer back from one of my friends on a large full time SWAT team near me. They average 300 rounds per month for pistol.

So worst case, 300/month for 10 years = 36k rounds. If you have been to a match of any size, I guarantee you that you have been beat with a gun with AT LEAST that many rounds on it.

Any chance you could post a pic for all us fence sitters?

The first post has a link that shows several pictures.

My non full time team trains at least 20hrs a month (I think NTOA minimum is 16hrs). That's a lot of rounds. couple that with 2k round count schools and that gun has seen quite a bit bang time. I'd steer clear.

I got an answer back from one of my friends on a large full time SWAT team near me. They average 300 rounds per month for pistol.

Greene County Ohio Sheriffs Office only has a total of about 138 employees this includes all the office workers, jail deputies etc from what I was told. The county seat is Xenia, and the population of the whole county is around 161,000. From what I know about Ohio County Sheriffs Swat teams especially from the smaller Rural County departments, they generally are not a full time dedicated Swat Officers. The members work their regular assignments whether they are assigned to patrol, or another area, but are available for call out so to speak. As you can see this is not a Large department, and the county is mostly a rural county, so I would guess that they do not have a large budget for training.The point is they may not have been fired as much as you might think, unless the Deputy that was issued one was a shooter. They all will show signs of being carried and used of course, but the ones I looked at seemed to be solid internally IMO, you can expect to repair, or replace the sights. I ordered a Ed Brown rear From brownells which is an exact replacement, and Dawson Precision has front sights for the SV. Don't get me wrong the sights that are on them are usable, but most have the carry in the cruiser dings ( it's not mine dings ) that come from being carried, and the sight picture looks so much better to me from a non dinged set of sights. I will be replacing the springs and followers in all the mags, generally most of the triggers will be around 4 pounds with a clean break, it's very easy to get one down to the 2 1/2 range, if you know what you are doing.

Edited by Wild Geese 1

"Large, full time" SWAT teams shoot 300 pistol rounds a month? :surprise:

I shoot that in a single practice session...

Then again I was told by a shooter at my local matches who trains PD forces that your average SWAT team member would be a C class shooter in USPSA... I guess there's a lot more to the job than simply shooting, but jeez, that sorta surprised me...

Does anyone know if these guns do in fact have the interchangeable breach face???

I worked at GCSO around the time these guns were bought. I went to the local PD to get out of the jail. Condition on these guns when they were pulled from duty ranged from brand new in the box unissued, to shot by a master class shooter with wear and tear. Most were shot the minimum required for training. Cop guns for the most part are carried a lot, shot a little. SWAT guns may have a little more use because they had required monthly training, but believe me GCSO did not shoot 300 rds. a month. You'd be buying a higher round count gun on this board from a A class shooter than most of these guns. We tried to get team guys to shoot local USPSA with us, but none but the commander ever did. This has been said plenty, but cops are at best C shooters, for the most part. Too bad you couldn't cherry pick one. I bet most of the NIB ones are long gone. I think Larry had some of the grips stippled too. They come with SV mags too, if that matters to you.

Sheriff asked a couple of us that he knew to be USPSA shooters what these were worth. He was thinking about selling them for $500 ea. My genius buddy says "they're worth a lot more than that, probably $1200-1300." And, 10 years latter, here we are.

I personally would rather have a new Edge. These are not the SV you see today. They used off-the-shelf parts, Ed Brown, Bomar, Schuemann, not the in-house machined stuff they make now. STI and SV were very comparable then. Not that they were bad guns, just not boutique like now. For $1500, maybe, not a buyer at $2k.

I worked at GCSO around the time these guns were bought. I went to the local PD to get out of the jail. Condition on these guns when they were pulled from duty ranged from brand new in the box unissued, to shot by a master class shooter with wear and tear. Most were shot the minimum required for training. Cop guns for the most part are carried a lot, shot a little. SWAT guns may have a little more use because they had required monthly training, but believe me GCSO did not shoot 300 rds. a month. You'd be buying a higher round count gun on this board from a A class shooter than most of these guns. We tried to get team guys to shoot local USPSA with us, but none but the commander ever did. This has been said plenty, but cops are at best C shooters, for the most part. Too bad you couldn't cherry pick one. I bet most of the NIB ones are long gone. I think Larry had some of the grips stippled too. They come with SV mags too, if that matters to you.

Sheriff asked a couple of us that he knew to be USPSA shooters what these were worth. He was thinking about selling them for $500 ea. My genius buddy says "they're worth a lot more than that, probably $1200-1300." And, 10 years latter, here we are.

I personally would rather have a new Edge. These are not the SV you see today. They used off-the-shelf parts, Ed Brown, Bomar, Schuemann, not the in-house machined stuff they make now. STI and SV were very comparable then. Not that they were bad guns, just not boutique like now. For $1500, maybe, not a buyer at $2k.

Do you know if these have the IBF?