Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Police trade-ins...really

LegionShooter

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are old and SV did not have the quality they have today

I'm not familiar with the "old" SV quality. Was there a change or a particular period of time that signaled the change to what they are now? Also, if they have a lifetime warranty (explicit or implied) would these not be covered? Less than half price of new

and no wait seems reasonable to me.

Edited by LegionShooter

It's not bad. I don't quite believe the "sv didn't have the quality' back then. I've seen quite a few older infinities and while they may not feature some of the cool machining found on later guns they were certainly still of the highest quality.

Plus the SWAT roll mark on the slide is pretty cool. The only part that would burn my cannoli would be no doubt the dealer paid $1-$2k for all 4 with mags and is now asking $2k each!

Still at the end of the day it's an svi built 2011 with 4 mags and some cool history behind it. Is that worth $2k? Yeah I think so.

Not sure i'd pay that for a used gun with no ability to examine or shoot it prior to purchase.

However, as for quality, I owned an early vintage sv which if I recall correctly had a schumann barrel.(Not sure when they went with in house barrels as the ad states though?) I never had any issues with it quality or otherwise. I was at least the 4th owner of it and other than a worn finish from use it was still tight and accurate when I sold it a couple of years ago to someone who needed a good limited gun.

So is a new SV better quality than an old one, very probably.

But my impression of the quality of the old one I had was that the fit and finish was a good bit better than the factory sti pistols of the day. I don't think Sandy made any junk.

Pm our host, I believe he was sponsored by/shot an SV back in the day, he might have a perspective on them?

Call brandon and ask him what the story is on them. I am sure he'll give you a straight answer.

Edited by caspian guy

I talked to Brandon yesterday about these guns when I picked up my new one. They paid around $1300 per gun in 1996. Most SWAT Teams shoot much more that regular officers so I'd guess a minimum of 500 rounds per year over the 19 years. Who knows how long they've been sitting in a safe though......

500 rounds per month is more like it

Depends on the SWAT Team and their budget. Most Departments in Texas qualify 1-2 times per year at 50-60 rounds each. SWAT probably shoots once a month unless it is a full time team. I would highly doubt even full time teams are shooting 500 rounds a month, even though they should.

These look like the the SVs that the Greene Co. Sheriff's Office in Ohio got for their SWAT team back in the 90's. The commander of the team at the time was a master class open shooter. He got them from Shooter's Connection when they still carried SV. At some point, they were Armoloy'd. I can't tell what finish is on these guns, but they are a dead ringer for the GCSO guns. Budgets at the time did not allow tons of practice, but they did practice once a month. They quit carrying them in 2005 or 2006 when they went to Glocks for the whole agency. We tried to buy some, but the sheriff stuck them in the armory, where I last heard they sat.

blue edge - Believe what you want. Best friend was a distributor for SV before they moved everything in house, then was a distributor for STI. So I saw a lot of stuff from both. And yeah, I got lots of stories to back it up. All true.

They are tempting but not at that price. There's maybe $1200 worth of value there tops.

$1200+ $500 in old style SV mags.

Highly doubt a bunch of stock, untuned, 18 round old style SV mags are selling for that with no basepads, springs, or followers for Limited division.

Even if you were right, I wouldn't pay much more than the $1200 for that gun with mags. Maybe a touch more than that, but certainly not $2k. Even if you are 100% right, it's still 15% over priced....