Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power X-Calibur in IDPA

NicVerAZ

I'd like to shoot IDPA again but I currently shoot an X-Calibur.

I've been told that it could be banned from shooting SSP because of the barrel, which is not exactly a cone barrel, but could be interpreted as being one.

It is all stock, by the way, no work was done to it and the barrel is stock.

I'd like to know before I join a State championship and realize I can't shoot my gun there.

This is what the barrel looks like:

517cf3ab67eb5_305.jpg

DSCF1739_zpse38b9847.jpg

Thanks!

I would think SSP if there are more than 2000 units made a year. This would not make ESP rules due to the Cone barrel, unless it makes SSP first and then can play in ESP as a SSP gun with no other modifications.

8.2.1.1.1 Have a minimum annual production of 2,000 units. Discontinued models must have had a total production of 20,000 units.

8.2.1.1.2 Be semi-automatic.

8.2.1.1.3 Be double action, double action only, or striker fired.

8.2.1.1.4 Use 9 mm (9x19) or larger cartridges.

8.2.1.1.5 The unloaded firearm with the heaviest magazine must weigh 43.00 oz. (1219.0 grams) or less.

8.2.1.1.6 The firearm with the largest magazine inserted must fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾” x 6” x 1 5 /8” (222.3 mm x 152.4 mm x 41.3 mm.)

Go for it. If you like the gun and get into the match, what is the worst that can happen? You get a technical DQ? It won't be for safety so you'll still get to shoot the whole match. Keep score yourself if that happens as no matter what you'd still get to shoot.

And having shot Tuscon, Prescott and Phoenix state IDPA matches in the past few years you're not going to get that extensive of a tech inspection. Or even chrono half the time.

Did you ever email IDPA HQ on this as I am interested in the answer myself.

I did. No answer. The thing is, if I am DQ-ed on this technicality, I can always appeal with IDPA and bring proof of my emails to them and the fact they never replied.

But it's such a small outfit, I understand they are probably swamped and not really ready to address every single rule question from their members.

There is little doubt about its legality. It is a cone barrel and longer than allowed, so it is not legal. Having said that, you can still enjoy shooting it, but knowing it is not legal and trying to sneak by is probably not the way to go.

There is little doubt about its legality. It is a cone barrel and longer than allowed, so it is not legal. Having said that, you can still enjoy shooting it, but knowing it is not legal and trying to sneak by is probably not the way to go.

"A cone is a three-dimensional geometric shape that tapers smoothly from a flat base (frequently, though not necessarily, circular) to a point called the apex or vertex."

Where do you see that it tapes smoothly? Consider the fact that it tapes smoothly then breaks abruptly in a 45 degrees angle.

I do not think it is a cone barrel.

Edited by NicVerAZ

"A cone is a three-dimensional geometric shape that tapers smoothly from a flat base (frequently, though not necessarily, circular) to a point called the apex or vertex."

Where do you see that it tapes smoothly? Consider the fact that it tapes smoothly then breaks abruptly in a 45 degrees angle.

I do not think it is a cone barrel.

fatter at the muzzel, skinnier further back

• 4 weeks later...

I'm wondering the same thing

currently shooting CZ 75 SP01 SHADOW in ESP , but got X-calibur waiting in LGS for paperwork and would like to use it for IDPA .

I know its production legal in USPSA

• 3 weeks later...