Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would you want/care if your gunsmith

Bill Schwab

I have several friends who have Bedell Custom guns that recieved email pics of the gun after cuts, partial assembly, refinishing, and finished ready to ship. I thought that was an awesome thing to do, and it lets the person take ownership of the process, kind of warm and fuzzy don't you think?

thanks chuck, that's the last time i send you pictures of me and my beagle relaxing after a hard days work. :wacko:

i do keep my customers informed as best as possible as to the progress of their order. i think it gives them a look at the the process and allows them to see progress and add any input,changes or upgrades they may want.

just a question. i see that some people said they would not like this type of service. i offer this at no extra cost, only to keep the customer informed. the question i have is, if there is no charge for this type of service why would you not want to see your gun in the process of going together. you could actually have some input as to the way things look before it is done and make adjustments or changes before the finish goes on. i thought it was a good idea when i started doing this and i continue to offer it with every new order. :D

just a question. i see that some people said they would not like this type of service. i offer this at no extra cost, only to keep the customer informed. the question i have is, if there is no charge for this type of service why would you not want to see your gun in the process of going together. you could actually have some input as to the way things look before it is done and make adjustments or changes before the finish goes on. i thought it was a good idea when i started doing this and i continue to offer it with every new order. :D

The only thing I can figure is that some people subscribe to the credo "ignorance is bliss". <_<

i am just surprised at how many have voted no to a service that can only help the experience of having your gun custom built the way you want it. i just can't seem to figure out why it would not be of interest to the customer. someone help me with that. maybe it would just kill the surprise of seeing it for the first time when it's done.

While I have never had a custom gun built just for me, I would want to be there in person if possible. Not to be in the way, but to watch my new blaster come into this world. Since that is most likely not possible, I am one of the few who voted that they would pay extra for this service. This is of course dependant on the cost, but I would expect it to be minimal if not included. I think Dan has the right idea of keeping his customer in the loop. I am willing to bet more than one "Thats not exactly what I had in mind" has been corrected before it was too late.

I'm guessing the poll Q is slightly poorly worded as implying people actually actively dislike the idea. You'd probably get the same number of responses if the poll answer was "I don't care, just send me something that works"

I'm guessing the poll Q is slightly poorly worded as implying people actually actively dislike the idea. You'd probably get the same number of responses if the poll answer was "I don't care, just send me something that works"

Yeah, you're right, I'll fix it.

As one who has a Bedell gun, (it is awesome by the way) I can only say that Dan's customer service and the ability to look at your gun and make changes in real time is something I would actually pay for now that I know how valueable it is.

Just another reason to give your business to Dan and Chuck. I just wish I had money together for another gun, as more of you are catching on to Dan's talent and quality, his wait time seems to be slowly growing.

Take care, Craig

john,

:wacko::huh::unsure: i am working very hard to finish your gun because i can see that the anticipation is starting to cause some strange behavior patterns, now put down the paper cutout of your gun and then patiently wait for the ambulance to get there to take you to your therapy session. don't worry, the straight jacket is for your own protection. talk to you soon. ;)<_<:blink:

I have never used the services of a custom gunsmith, I do my own work however I voted no for two reasons.

a) If I have carefully selected my gunsmith, I would trust him to do the work and would want him to get on with what he is good at. I would not want him to waste his time with digital cameras, file transferse-mails and all that other IT Stuff that would eat into his valuable time.

B) Though I don't build guns for others, I was persuaded to build one for a very old friend who lives 2000 miles away. It was done on the understanding that it was a labour of love and consequently took best part of a year. I made the mistake of sending work in progress pictures near the end. I then had great concern for the whimpering salivating wreck I had on the phone every week. I would hate to think I was responsible for someone being carried off in a straight jacket. It seems that from John's post this could be a common problem. :)

Peter

It would be nice to have but I also would rather the smith to spend his time in building the gun to get it out the door, but if he can build awesome guns in a brief amount of time and still take pictures of his work status for the customer that would be cool.

I just get tired of being told two more weeks every two weeks when I order something semi-custom. (two weeks, two months, next week, etc)

Personally, I'd love for my smith to keep me updated on the gun's progress. And I wouldn't mind him sending me photos of each phase.

But having no experieince with this type of customer service yet, I'm thinking; It would probably be like torture and could drive me nuts looking at the pics!

....Unless that's the whole point for bugging the smith all the time? :unsure::P:ph34r:

For those of you commenting on this issue taking up a smith's time I feel I should share a little more of my experience. My gun was promised to me in 6-8 weeks. I ordered I believe in the last week of Aug. Dan's first email of my frame and slide fitted in the white arrived approx the second week of Oct. In it he listed the items I had already discussed with Chuck and asked if everything was still the same. Over the next two weeks Dan kept me informed of the barrel/comp being installed, test firing, and finishing and pics at each juncture. My gun was in my hands the first week of Nov.

So as you can see the pics, phone calls, and emails did not take away any time from the build time promise and it added great customer service and the ability to make changes when necessary.

I can't speak for Dan, but my assumption is that this greatly cuts down the time he spends stepping away from work to answer phone calls/make phone calls etc. Your smith can send and answer emails at his conveniece at natural break points in the work. This seems like a much better system all around.

Craig

I voted yes. Not that the pics change anything or say much about the future operation of the gun, but it's a nice touch added to show the gunsmith cares about me as a customer and that I'm not just another guy getting a gun built from him (even if it were the case ;) )