Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinion of Major vs Minor Scoring

Malarkey

I'm new to USPSA & haven't quite gotten the rules 100% straight yet. I know you can shoot major or minor within Limited for example, but are there separate winners for Limited minor and Limited Major? In other words, would you be at a big disadvantage competitively by shooting minor, or are you only really competing against others shooting minor?

You are placed together, so to speak, by division and class. There is no separation in Limited for major and minor. If you shoot all As, you're fine either way, but, generally, people shoot major in Limited for the points. You are shooting against all the other Limited shooters regardless of power factor.

Production only scores as minor, no matter what power factor your ammo is shooting at. There is major and minor for the other 5 divisions and Single Stack and Revolver have different capacity limits for major or minor.

You get rewarded, for lack of a better term, for shooting major in Limited because, theoretically, if you shoot every target Alpha-Charlie, you would get 5+4 points where in minor, you would get 5+3 points.

You are placed together, so to speak, by division and class. There is no separation in Limited for major and minor. If you shoot all As, you're fine either way, but, generally, people shoot major in Limited for the points. You are shooting against all the other Limited shooters regardless of power factor.

Production only scores as minor, no matter what power factor your ammo is shooting at. There is major and minor for the other 5 divisions and Single Stack and Revolver have different capacity limits for major or minor.

You get rewarded, for lack of a better term, for shooting major in Limited because, theoretically, if you shoot every target Alpha-Charlie, you would get 5+4 points where in minor, you would get 5+3 points.

Interesting. So it is an advantage to shoot major. Seems like it would be more "fair" to score major/minor as different divisions. Most forms of competition seem to lump similar categories together to compete against one another. No beef with it though, their rules so that's the way it is.

The trade off for scoring more points is having to deal with the extra recoil. It's possible for a minor shooter to shoot all A's faster (and score more points) than a major shooter can shoot A/C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. So it is an advantage to shoot major. Seems like it would be more "fair" to score major/minor as different divisions. Most forms of competition seem to lump similar categories together to compete against one another. No beef with it though, their rules so that's the way it is.

It's your choice as how you "game" the stages and choosing between major and minor is one. If you are recoil sensitive but incredibly accurate and fast minor would be the way to go. One reason I like USPSA is that it's not "fair". There are definite winners and losers. It's a mental and physical challenge and you have the freedom to choose how to solve the shooting problems and I love it.

The top three guys shooting single stack in my last match were shooting minor; I think 25% more ammo really helps balance it out. Isn't 8 shot minor dominating Revolver? In Limited you might get 2-3 more rounds, but minor doesn't really get you anything in Open.

I think single stack is the only division where major and minor scoring are on an equal footing.

8 rounds minor is a slight advantage in revolver and really simplifies stage planning. I score about 3% higher in the overall at a match shooing a 8 shot minor revolver vs 6 shot major gun.

It's your choice as how you "game" the stages and choosing between major and minor is one. If you are recoil sensitive but incredibly accurate and fast minor would be the way to go. One reason I like USPSA is that it's not "fair". There are definite winners and losers. It's a mental and physical challenge and you have the freedom to choose how to solve the shooting problems and I love it.

If all goes as planned, I hope to shoot my first USPSA match this weekend. I am planning on using my Glock 34 and shooting Limited minor as I have a magwell and 140mm mags. I've shot IPSC in the past with a .45acp 1911. Recently been shooting IDPA, along with some outlaw style action pistol matches. My choice for 9mm was primarily driven by cost, not recoil sensitivity, so that was my main motivation for that caliber. If I end up liking USPSA as much as I hope I will, I may have to look into something in a major PF platform.

Shot the match yesterday and I am hooked! Can't believe I waited so long to try USPSA. I ended up taking off my magwell and bringing stock magazines and just shooting production.

Glad you had fun. It seems very intimidating at first but the type of people who participate make it easy for a newcomer to feel at home.

Shot the match yesterday and I am hooked! Can't believe I waited so long to try USPSA. I ended up taking off my magwell and bringing stock magazines and just shooting production.

Glad you had fun. It seems very intimidating at first but the type of people who participate make it easy for a newcomer to feel at home.

Yeah, great people for sure. From Grandmaster down to brand new shooters and everyone was friendly and welcoming.

I asked my self the same thing last year. A year ago I started shooting Revolver division because that was all I had. Found a good deal on a used .40 STI 2011 and found my placing right up in the top 1/3 overall and too 10 of Limited. I felt like I was identifyling targets and transitioning faster than I was getting the bullets there. So I downloaded to MINOR scoring and did my best placement ever.

So I bought an Edge 9mm and have not only had more fun, but also have been on occasion the stage winner taking 100% of points OVERALL! Having fun is why we do this so pick accordingly is my opinion.

I'm working hard to make Master with this 9mm and so far had I not messed around with .40 and MAJOR early last year, would likely be there now.

unless you are shooting a division that has capacity advantages, the Minor/Major scoring is a dinosaur that needs to die.
Major Minor has nothing to do with recoil. It was always about capacity. When the game and scoring started there were only two guns in town. A 8+1 1911 45 and a 13+1 round Browning Hipower. The scoring was ALWAYS about capicty. SOrta why it only works in SS and revolver.
DOuble stack high capacity major auto loaders killed minor. It is completely non competitive. The difference in recoil wont any difference to anyone that practices a bit. And if you dont practice you wont be hitting much anyways.

Edited by Joe4d

• 1 month later...

At the moment I'm trying to decide if I want to spend 1500 on a cz to continue to shoot production or send 1500 and get a limited major gun. I really like shooting production though because I feel like it takes more planning and there will always be tons of competition. It seems that every couple days I switch my mind to the other. I think I will stick to production and wait until I can make master and then go from there. All my friends shoot limited so there's always that peer pressure to shoot it as well.

unless you are shooting a division that has capacity advantages, the Minor/Major scoring is a dinosaur that needs to die.

Major Minor has nothing to do with recoil. It was always about capacity. When the game and scoring started there were only two guns in town. A 8+1 1911 45 and a 13+1 round Browning Hipower. The scoring was ALWAYS about capicty. SOrta why it only works in SS and revolver.

DOuble stack high capacity major auto loaders killed minor. It is completely non competitive. The difference in recoil wont any difference to anyone that practices a bit. And if you dont practice you wont be hitting much anyways.

...and, if memory serves, major was based on a 230grn .45 going around 900 fps. If they keep lowering the major power factor they may as well do away with the major/minor scoring...

What do you think of the Major and Minor Scoring set up (points per zone)?

I don't. And no matter how much it gets talked about, there will always be major and minor. The higher power floor gets more points, thats all. The rules are the rules. If you want to get around the difference in points, shoot Major 9mm Open. I like shooting big sticks, so I shoot Limited Minor.

There was dialog about making the .357SIG Major in Limited but I see it didn't make the rule book yet. So that would have been Major 9mm Limited.

Edited by 9x45

I can say, without a doubt, I would never have gone up a class in Lim had I stayed minor. I was that close. The difference in points put me over the top. I had done the math going back 1 1/2 years ( yes, I'm insane ) and saw the hit/point difference.

It may not have made a difference to any one else, but to me, major is the way to go.

What do you think of the Major and Minor Scoring set up (points per zone)?

I don't. And no matter how much it gets talked about, there will always be major and minor. The higher power floor gets more points, thats all. The rules are the rules. If you want to get around the difference in points, shoot Major 9mm Open. I like shooting big sticks, so I shoot Limited Minor.

There was dialog about making the .357SIG Major in Limited but I see it didn't make the rule book yet. So that would have been Major 9mm Limited.

357Sig is now a major cartridge. Same case as a 40, just necked down. BOD minutes somewhere. No 9mm major in limited.