Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WOW! FL Open was a BLAST

Well, after having shot a total of 11 stages at local matches in the past 3 weeks, I took my month old shooting skills up to Frostproof today!

The first and most important thing I have to say is, EVERYBODY was so nice and helpful. It was a pleasure to be able to participate and be a part of such a great shoot.

Today was the RO shooting day, with 3 squads of us "competitors" shooting this afternoon. 10 stages of some VERY interesting challenges to say the least.

Not sure how I did, as there were not results posted yet, but I felt that things went well and look forward to driving back up on Sunday, I live about 2 hours away, to watch the Super Squad shoot some stages.

Frank is putting on a GREAT show, if you are not shooting it, you are missing out on an awesome tournament.

Jay Townsend

A52806

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay

Bet you did well! Do you know if there were any Classifier Stages? At a match as large as this you will be able to see where you are (class/rating wise) in regard to your current skill level by looking at where you stand in the overall finish order.

And yet another die hard shooter is born... :D

Merlin

Nothing was said about any classifier stages, but to tell you the truth, I would not recognize one if I saw it! :(

I hope to get classified at our local club match next month. "Rumor" has it that they are going to do 4 classifier stages as there are a bunch of us that at currently unclassified at the club.

ZH, in his quest to make A Class by January 2006 :huh:

Jake is trying to master Sub 3 second El Presidente's :unsure: , I'm just tryin' to get to "A"! :D

Merlin, knowing the FL Open I doubt there are any classifier stages. It's usually all open run n gun field courses.

Zhunter, glad you enjoyed it. I've got a couple things to do around the office then I'm gonna pack up and head out to the match.

Nothing like getting the season started!!!

Plus it's supposed to be mid to high 70's this weekend.

Here are some pics from the match!

Action shot

FLactionshot-1.jpg

Shootin' Poppers

FLaction-2.jpg

"Heart Shot" on the Valentines Day stage

FLaction-3.jpg

Runnin and Gunnin on Valentines Stage

FLOpenrun-n-gun.jpg

Running Reload, looks like the gun is too low :angry:

FLOpenrunning-reload.jpg

Standing in front of the Memorial Day Stage

FLOpenJay-.jpg

Definitely no classifiers!

All 10 stages were fun (and in a couple cases, technically-difficult) free-style long courses of 28+ rounds. It was my first trip to the Florida Open.

I shot yesterday (Friday). After getting up at 4am to make a morning flight out of Orlando, I'm pretty tired today, but I'm definitely glad I made the trip.

I'm not going to be able to help much on any early results--they were only partially posted when I left the range yesterday. I was privileged to shoot on the "revolver super squad" Friday, and it appeared that three BE forum members were leading the revolver division (Cliffwalsh, Hopalong, and Carmoney) by the end of the day, but IRC-veteran D.Carden was scheduled to shoot today and tomorrow, so who knows how it will all turn out. There were a number of other revo shooters present at the match, which was very challenging to those limited to six shots per reload!

Fun match. Thanks to everyone who helped me out along the way!

Mike

What a great match. Frank always puts on a good show. Thanks to BooCow for all the info and doing the stats for the match. We had a revolver squad this year and I got to meet Carmoney and D.Carden and shoot with good old Hopalong again. Hope to shoot with you guys real soon.

Cliff

Cool but tough match. The wait between stages wasnt very fun but were else can you go and shoot 10 stages were the smallest stage is 28 rounds. I got to see/meet lots of BE'rs. I hate that fella Mike that keeps on showing up at all the matches I shoot and I'm not sure why the RO's call his name so loud. I think I may owe the RO's on stage 7 a drink or something. ;)

Hats off to Frank and CREW !!! :)

As my first time down there (800 miles 1 way, driveway to driveway) I am glad I went.

Cliff was as usuall quite on the ball, I did watch Dan Carden shoot a stage and have decided that I have seen another B class Sandbagger that belongs in A ;):P

Carmoney seemed to enjoy his foray into this "IPSICK" shooting and I expect him to do nothing but improve.

Craig and Luke have to put up with Cliff all the time and they have ALL my sympathy :lol::lol::lol:

Squad 10 on Friday was a great squad to shoot with and it was my pleasure to do so.

I did get to see a bunch of BE.comers and get caught up... good to see you guys and gals again.

I watched Max and JJ shoot a couple of stages, they both were on fire.

Travis was doing his usuall, flowing like water through the stages and then not having but a few points down.

I also watched Smitty shoot a stage......Damn that boy is good.

I get to see good shooting all the time (not me though) and Watching Max, JJ, Travis, and Smitty always impress me. CLiff too (sometimes) :lol:

This was my first Major not to have a Mike and that is a victory in itself.....

Now no D's too <_<

To the winners.... Well Done !!!!

to Frank and Crew..... Well Done !!!! :)

Looking forward to next year...

Hopalong

Oh yeah, Congrats Cliff...... Better watch out Dan is coming :D

Know everyone wants to see the results and I promise I'll get them up on the USPSA web site late today. I have to go back up to Frostproof this afternoon to get the motor home and as soon as I get back home I'll drag the computer off and get the results posted.

Really great to see all the comments about the Match. Know some folks were upset with me but I just haven't found a way YET to get 400 shooters on the exact squad they request.

Hope to see all of you back next year!

Know everyone wants to see the results and I promise I'll get them up on the USPSA web site late today. I have to go back up to Frostproof this afternoon to get the motor home and as soon as I get back home I'll drag the computer off and get the results posted.

Really great to see all the comments about the Match. Know some folks were upset with me but I just haven't found a way YET to get 400 shooters on the exact squad they request.

Hope to see all of you back next year!

Great Job! It was nice to meet you. ALL of you did a fantastic job, lots of fun.

Can't wait for next year!

Hats off to the crew and Frank Garcia for running a great match! I never had any idea you could have such difficulty and fun without no-shoots, hardcover, and only one mover! If you guys and gals are going to make a match in the early part of the season next year, GO TO THIS ONE! Wish I could have stayed for the rest of the weekend but got some pretty cool video from the stages that will show up on a future PSV. FYI this match filled quick so next time there is an application available, send it in ASAP to get in.

Thanks to the match staff and Frank for doing an awesome job!!!

Wish they were all like this!

Congrats to the JJ on the win! Way to go!

It was a great time, long shots, short shots and everything in between, and I am happy to say my first time to a big match, and to my Fellow squad 10 shooters, it was a day well spent iwth some truely good people. It is day spent like that, keeps you coming back for more. :D

I can't seem to upload the results to USPSA. I've sent them to Roger and asked him to upload them for me.

The web master for Frank's web site said he'd get them up tonight. So keep checking Frank's web site.

frankgarciausa.com

It was a great time, long shots, short shots and everything in between, and I am happy to say my first time to a big match, and to my Fellow squad 10 shooters, it was a day well spent iwth some truely good people. It is day spent like that, keeps you coming back for more. :D

Hey Luke, it was great shooting with you, too--you did a great job of handling a match that was particularly tough given your choice of equipment! I look forward to running into you at many more matches in the future.

Take care,

Mike