Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Early days of IPSC pic thread

Pierruiggi

From the old magazine ads and photos it appears that you guys did alot of jumping off of things back then. I can't tell you how many photos I've seen taken at a low angle of some guy, 1911 in hand, with their feet a foot or two off the ground. What did stages have that required all that jumping?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tightloop,

That's the holster I'm referring to. I met Tom in 1980. He said he came up with that design because of a match that had you starting behind the steering wheel of a car. That holster was easier for him to draw from than the crossdraws at the time. He said Jeff Cooper hated it! I think he used it for a couple more years, then the rule stipulating that the holster must be on the waist came out.

Dan

Cooper hated most anything that was not of classic design...Tom's holster was a little too advanced for Jeff to appreciate at the time he came out with it...Jeff still hates weighted and/or compensated pistols, FO sights, enhanced mag releases, guide rods, and a veritable plethora or other add on items that most shooters have on their pistols today...

He felt about these gadgets like he felt about the 9mm in the early days....when someone asked him why he did not like 9mm, Jeff asked him if he knew why the BHP held 13 rounds....when there was no answer, Jeff told him it was because you generally had to shoot someone that many times with a 9mm before they fell down....Typical Cooper, gotta love it...

JD45

We did jump from and climb over lots of stuff in the old days...jumped off 6' platforms routinely, jumped from the top of the Rhodesian Wall when it was in use, things like that....I can't tell you how many local shooters got hurt, some seriously, when we shot the Cooper Assault, usually torn ACL's or things like that, I am sure that is part of the reason you don't jump much anymore...Athleticism was a big part of the early days of IPSC, not just running and foot speed, and there was a bigger emphasis on accuracy than there is today...

Flex

I know better than to think you can't/don't run...you don't make the GM card without being able to incorporate those things in the game plan when called for...I think it might be a bit too early to fit you for a cane...Me on the other hand....well, it is cane first then walker...LOL :lol:

Was just looking through some of my old match designs and saw one that was really interesting "Jungle Bear Assault Rifle Match." (Yes we allowed real selective fire as long as they were only set on semi.)

We had been shooting "Combat Pistol" at my club for about 4 years and finally decided to do a rifle match. If I were more adept I would post the match description. I have it on a .jpeg, but never mastered how to do it on this forum. In any case the match consisted of 29 rounds and 350 yards of running through the woods and across creeks. Don't think I could do it today but there was a big turnout. At that time a lot of camo types showed up, but we let all shoot. Wish I still had the results.

By the way the Match date was July 29th, 1984 and we didn't know who USPSA was.

Well this is what a match report looked like back in 92. It is USPSA but it was the last match I shot in. So I really don't know what they look like now! I have big plans to start shooting again. Hope I can get to it! You will notice I high lighted some things for some reason I can't remember now. :huh:

Does anyone remember any of the names on the report?

Steve

USPSA.jpg

We shoot with Marshall TOdd almost every weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some of my early pictures that I just had scanned in..

Yes Sir Mr Bullwinkle himself..

always looking to stand out well the hat lasted for a couple of years

till at area 4 Mr Gavin (the t-shirt man) decided to give me a free bullet

hole on a antler well long story not so short it went Limp not what I needed

to promote the Bullwinkle was retired..

Enjoy...

post-1959-1131868816_thumb.jpgpost-1959-1131868831_thumb.jpgpost-1959-1131868849_thumb.jpg

stopwatches!??

man im glad i wasnt around for that!

Yeah. And stop plates to know when to stop the stopwatch ;p

Electronic timers were just becoming universal when I started, but a stopwatch was still there as a backup as no one quite trusted them yet ;-)

Yeah, Marshall still stays at it. He started in action shooting in 1976. Here's yesterdays scores;

Match Date: 11/12/2005

Combined divisions - These are NOT offical results.

Place Name USPSA Class Division PF Lady Mil Law For

Age Points Stg %

1 Collier, James FY38548 M Open Major N N N

N 549.5132 100.00%

2 Selvetti, Mike U Open Major N N N

N 519.8136 94.60%

3 Whitacre, Paul TY35773 GM Open Major N N N

N 507.9899 92.44%

4 Todd, Marshall CA120 M Open Major N N N

N 456.2212 83.02%

5 Petrone, Rich A Open Major N N N

N 441.6862 80.38%

6 Olsen, Stan L626 A Open Major N N N

N 370.1155 67.35%

7 Cook, Daniel A43119 B Limited Major N N N

N 362.4259 65.95%

8 Young, Mike TY34791 C Open Major N N N

N 303.3368 55.20%

9 Owen, Don TY33149 B Limited Major N N N

N 260.1651 47.34%

10 Daniel, Brian A49053 C Limited Major N N N

N 249.9395 45.48%

11 Sparks, Ron C Limited Major N N N

N 227.6983 41.44%

12 Chmielewski, Jason A49045 C Limited Major N N N

N 223.2216 40.62%

13 Attamante, Bill L2542 B Production Minor N N N

N 207.1621 37.70%

14 Speer, Coy U Limited 10 Major N N N

N 171.2509 31.16%

15 Stites, Mark U Limited Major N N N

N 161.7071 29.43%

16 Van Nostron Jr., K U Limited Minor N N N

N 161.5128 29.39%

17 O'Sullivan, Paul TY42417 U Limited Major N N N

N 153.2948 27.90%

18 Ruth, Bob U Open Major N N N

N 96.2765 17.52%

19 Martinez, Dino U Production Minor N N N

N 76.1236 13.85%

20 Siceloff, Steven U Limited 10 Major N N N

N 59.9649 10.91%

21 Speer, Zachary U Limited Major N N N

N 56.9512 10.36%

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
cool, John Pride and Benos, then TGO using what looks like a Wilson Accucomp drawing from what appears to be Gordon Davis leather..

I like it..real leather...looks like early '80's....

Lima was a regular stop for me until they stopped having USPSA matches. Yarger was a regular at Lima And help run the match. Dullen is also a very familiar character.

Well this is what a match report looked like back in 92. It is USPSA but it was the last match I shot in. So I really don't know what they look like now! I have big plans to start shooting again. Hope I can get to it! You will notice I high lighted some things for some reason I can't remember now. :huh:

Does anyone remember any of the names on the report?

Steve

USPSA.jpg

We shoot with Marshall TOdd almost every weekend.

Lima was a regular stop for me until they stopped having USPSA matches. Yarger was a local I think. He helped run the matches when I shot there. Dullen is a familliar character also. I saw Dullen in Miamisburg a lot untill he went Cowboy on us.

Here are some of my early pictures that I just had scanned in..

Yes Sir Mr Bullwinkle himself..

always looking to stand out well the hat lasted for a couple of years

till at area 4 Mr Gavin (the t-shirt man) decided to give me a free bullet

hole on a antler well long story not so short it went Limp not what I needed

to promote the Bullwinkle was retired..

Enjoy...

Jerry could you email concerning the grips I purchased from you on 1911 forum and never received?

Thanks

Eric

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, those are some old pictures. So where were the fans positioned to blow away all of the black powder smoke? Did you guys have special quarries for competition-grade flintlock? Were the disco shorts tactical or practical?

:D:ph34r: