Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much practice to learn to quad load?

joshxdm9

Ok so I sent my versamax off to C-rums and had the load port done along with welded lifter so that I could quad load. Loading from ap custom ql8. I have spent about 3 nights trying to get the fundamentals down with very little success. I have watched multiple videos and it just seems that I am doing all the right things but when I try to do it even at half speed I just fumble rounds like crazy. If I do it slow speed it goes pretty good. I am currently trying to do it weak hand. I can load 2 like a mad man no problem.

So for the people who have mastered the quad load how long or how much practice did it take to get it down?

The two most important points I learned were the initial grab so the shells were properly held, the second was the initial angle of insertion. Practice just pulling the shells from the holder until you get them perfectly placed in your hand every single time.

Then try various angles to see what approach angle works best for your shotgun for the first pair. My 1301 works best for me with an almost 45 degree angle of approach to push down the lifter since it has a pretty stiff spring. If I tried an approach angle closer to parallel with the mag tube I ran into the edge of the receiver most of the time because I wasn't pushing the lifter down far enough.

Start practicing at slow speed, but with conviction, just because you're going slow doesn't mean you should pussyfoot around. You won't break it.

Also try holding the gun at different angles (muzzle down, muzzle level, etc...) and roll the gun (loading port angled left, straight up, etc...) until you find the correct position for you.

I can't tell you my way was good but I bruised my knuckles and dropped shells and cursed a lot until the motion started to make sense and I found what worked for me and how to grab the shells and how to tension my hand.

Basically, keep doing it until it starts making sense.

I am under the impression that you can load 2 np. The best thing I can recommend is GO SLOW at the beginning and the grab if your biggest thing , if you grab the shells wrong you might as well drop em.also do not just stop when loading the shells follow through if not you will likely ghost load and that's a whole another problem.

To answer your question took a few days, I am now loading 8 shells in 3.5 and loading 12 and chambering in 6

Edited by Oskino

The two most important points I learned were the initial grab so the shells were properly held, the second was the initial angle of insertion. Practice just pulling the shells from the holder until you get them perfectly placed in your hand every single time.

Then try various angles to see what approach angle works best for your shotgun for the first pair. My 1301 works best for me with an almost 45 degree angle of approach to push down the lifter since it has a pretty stiff spring. If I tried an approach angle closer to parallel with the mag tube I ran into the edge of the receiver most of the time because I wasn't pushing the lifter down far enough.

Start practicing at slow speed, but with conviction, just because you're going slow doesn't mean you should pussyfoot around. You won't break it.

Also try holding the gun at different angles (muzzle down, muzzle level, etc...) and roll the gun (loading port angled left, straight up, etc...) until you find the correct position for you.

Ok just tried 2 things talked about here that I was doing wrong. Noticed that I was very sloppy with the grab. Need to grip shells a little stronger. Also I was holding the gun under right arm pit with the gun straight out, tipped down to about a 45° angle. Seems these 2 things have already made a difference. Thanks for the Tips. Seems that I need to slow down and just get the fundamentals down before speeding up.

Also, get your hand on the receiver, as in keep your palm against the receiver walls and effectively trapping the shells in the loading port.....maintain that contact through the entire load, like you are petting the gun firmly.

I have been quad loading for the past year. Up here in Minnesota winter is practice time. I also have been trying different angles and grips to master the quad. One thing I found that helps me is (weak hand load) bringing the loading port closer to my body. Tucking more of the stock under my arm. For some reason I get a better look and have a smoother motion. There is no hard fast method to doing the quad and each shooter will have they're own approach. Practice is the key. Work at it till your hands hurt, put it down and go at again the next day. Also make sure you practice moving while loading. Climb and descend some stairs, move around the house, use what you have to simulate a stage environment. Bottom line is, practice makes perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just started a couple weeks ago but the thing that helped me was the grab, make sure you have it tight with the middle and ring fingers. Thumb placement, firmly on the second shell. Wrist, wrist, wrist, when putting in. Turn your wrist. It took me about three or forum hours, now getting close to sub 5 second loads. Also, once I knew what it was supposed to feel like, I tried a few moving slowly, it helps me not to think so much, divide my brain. Good luck, you'll get it.

If you can Twin load "like mad" why do you even care about Quad loading at this point? Are you getting 2nd and 1st is just a few seconds out of your reach?

Like an expensive optic, for the vast majority of 3Gunners, loading Quads only will hurt their score, not improve it. Not saying don't learn it or practice it, but do the math.

I took me about 10 minutes to figure it out, 3 years ago. At that time I was convinced that there would be shooters get under 3 seconds to load 8, and we are there now, but the fumble factor is higher, it takes a little more finesse and when you are skilled at both, the difference is less than a second between twin and quad. Unless you are nipping at the heels of the top dogs, there are so many other skills to work on that will result in better scores. Offhand rifle shooting, shooting on the move, etc.

If you can Twin load "like mad" why do you even care about Quad loading at this point? Are you getting 2nd and 1st is just a few seconds out of your reach?

Like an expensive optic, for the vast majority of 3Gunners, loading Quads only will hurt their score, not improve it. Not saying don't learn it or practice it, but do the math.

I took me about 10 minutes to figure it out, 3 years ago. At that time I was convinced that there would be shooters get under 3 seconds to load 8, and we are there now, but the fumble factor is higher, it takes a little more finesse and when you are skilled at both, the difference is less than a second between twin and quad. Unless you are nipping at the heels of the top dogs, there are so many other skills to work on that will result in better scores. Offhand rifle shooting, shooting on the move, etc.

agreed, Mark I was bummed I missed you and James on shooters mindset.

While my previous post was a bit tongue in cheek, this is probably some of the best advice I've seen. While I do practice loading quads, if I absolutely must hit the reload, I always configure for twins.

Well put ql practice on the back burner for a couple weeks focusing on uspsa local match. Back at it now... so far I have changed angle of the ap ql8 on my belt and really focusing on the grab. Seems that is where it makes or break the load. Going pretty good so far soon as rain let's up here going out for some live fire on timer to see where I am.

My best advice is to avoid trying to put yourself on the timer and don't fall into the trap of trying to "load 8 in X seconds".

Form and successfully getting the shells in the gun are more important than being the fastest quad loader.

Speed will come with practice and repetition.

And to further Mark's point, one reason I've been slow to come around to quad loading is because I've been very successful twins loading and for me quads has never been much faster.