Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 conversion to 9mm

jh9

I'm thinking about having my 627 pro converted to 9mm. Mostly out of annoyance of having to transmogrify my 9mm and .38spl 550 toolheads every time I want to load it. That and I never did buy a *lot* of .38 short colt brass while I'm otherwise swimming in 9 and .38.

Is there any reason to believe that having a shop like TK Custom do the conversion will get around some of the factory 929 issues (extraction issues specifically)?

Is this a stupid idea that I should feel bad about saying in public?

It would be easy enough to ream the chambers for 9mm, you will probably have to load .357 or .358 bullets to get accuracy. It shouldn't work OK. There are a lot of variables, so impossible to say anything for certain ahead of time. I made 2 of my 686s into 40 S&W and they both turned out fine.

Only thing I would add is you could Taylor throat your barrel so the bullet centers up when it engages the rifling, so you don't have to worry about the cylinder throats. I made a short colt only revo and it works just fine....

DougC

i read a lot of mized results with these conversions, some reports are its the greatest thing since ever, other are that there are some issues. I was going to have an extra cylinder I have cut for 9mm so I could have a backup for my 929 but bailed when someone who had done this indicated he was loosing 100+fps on a converted gun vs his 929.

No point if I can't have the same ammo. In order to compensate, my ammo would be like 150pf out of the 929 to make a comfortable 130 in the converted gun...

When doing a convertible you have to make the cylinder gaps the same. Most revo velocity variations are cylinder gap, all else being equal. In reality all else is never equal, but you can get close enough to be workable. A different barrel will affect velocity too.

To Clarify with Short Colt.......You can load minor all the way up to Major...yes, it has been done....not sure why, but a European competitor did it.

What you CAN'T do is use fast powder with heavy bullets and go over 128 PF without sticky extraction and problems.

Using medium powder and you can run 135 PF + all day long with accurate and light recoiling ammo.....thread drift back on

DougC

If you are running 160 grain bullets a 128pf only give you a 19fps cushion when you hit the chono stage. Making minor isn't a sure thing if you get a slow chrono, and if you fall below minor...well, hopefully you are having fun 'cuz you won't get scored.

Going over 128 PF when all you need is 125 is a moot point. No?

Personally, I would never attempt a big match with ammo that didn't hit at least 133 p.f. All my ammo hits at least that power factor in all my guns. Takes down steel, and I don't have to sweat chrono.

So, I sent my S&W 67-5 to TK Custom and had them recut from 38 Spl. to 9 mm.

The cylinder came back today, I took it to the range and out to 25 yes. shot 36 rds (6 clips)

The result was not bad.....I load a 130g Berry's with 3.9 g Clay-Dot and Federal primers.

It gives me a 123 PF.

9mm-4_1.jpg

9mm-3.jpg

9mm-1.jpg

The only reservations I have are factory ammo making major (4" barrel in the 627pro) and factory bullets' (.355") accuracy at longish distance.

Reloads would be using proper size lead, but part of the appeal is using factory ammo when it's available and I'm too lazy to put the press back together (live in an apartment) for loading up another batch.

Anybody got rough chrono numbers for factory ball? I'd be plenty happy with girphoto's accuracy if those are .355" bullets.

Edited by jh9

Hi jh9

The bullets that I use measure 355.5

I just got a large order of lead at 354 and after loading a few moon's I will test on Saturday after our Cowboy Match.

If I have time I will Chrono it.

Load is 4g Clay-Dot, Federal primers and 130g lead (at 354) I will shoot at 25 yds to keep all the same.