Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal Optics Rifle

no body

Yep. LR-308 pattern rifles role the roost here. I run a JP, but the big thing to consider is to get one built by a reputable company. Building a reliable 308 semi is much more difficult than building a reliable 223.

I would look into one that accepts SR25 pattern magazines, that way you can use Pmags. My AR10 is an older Armalite that uses proprietary Armalite magazines. Now that Pmags are available for SR25 pattern rifles, it is much cheaper to obtain magazines (Pmag = ~$20 each, Armalite = $35-50 each) . If you are building, be aware that some parts (bolts, bolt carriers, for example) are not interchangeable across brands like AR15 style parts are. You can read some of these warnings on JPs website.

Unlike ten years ago, where there were only a couple of companies manufacturing .308 AR rifles, today there are many companies making them. JP has an excellent reputation for reliability, accuracy and customer service. My Armalite has been very reliable and the people at the factory have been nice to me when I have talked to them about magazines or ordering parts, but I have heard horror stories from other people about their Armalite rifles (people have approached me at matches and asked what I did to get my rifle to run, they are shocked when I tell them I did not have to "get it to run"). I have seen DPMS rifles work, Larues have good reputations also. I don't have experience with other manufacturers.

Hurley

Most are running an AR-10, of course. I'm running an M14-pattern, currently a Springfield Armory M1A. James River Armory is currently building my next one from an original USGI Winchester M14 heel welded on to their forged current production receiver.

Most stages will not benefit from the AR's advantages in speedier magazine changes. But the AR will have trigger advantages in the fast, close targets, and are easier to compensate, especially if you shoot Limited with iron sights like me.

My biggest advantage is that no one has ever picked up my walnut-stocked M14-type rifle off the table by mistake.

Since OP clarified question...

Note Hurley's post above re: potential issues with parts interchangability since "AR10" is not a universal spec. Same thing with the DPMS G2, lots of currently proprietary parts.

As OP mentioned, many JP's around, also lots of DPMS rifles, I'm not even sure who might be in 3rd place, but I do know that S&W puts out an M&P10 and I've had the pleasure to shoot a couple of them at the local range and they shot very well for out-of-the-box rifles.

The field thins down a bit after those top 2...

While M1A's are fine rifles and in many ways superior to the AR-10/LR-308's, the M1A isn't a good choice for heavy scope, simply due to the mounting options for glass. You will see at most matches an even split between DPMS and JP, with GAP10's garnering a healthy following as well. All three companies make fine products. DPMS is the least expensive and will shoot well after a little polishing and smoothing. Georgia Precision is the mid priced value brand, giving you a lot of rifle for the money. And... Of course, JP is the premium. There are others present, but those are the three I see most often at matches. Oh and I have to give an honorable mention to LMT. The LMT is heavy bit a solid performer at a mid field price.

Some of the challenges with the AR based platforms are:

1. The before mention of parts incompatability. LR-308 is the most widely used pattern, with the widest range of parts and the easiest to find, quality mags.

2. Wide pressure swings requires the rifle to be set up for high gas flow. This makes the rifles dirty up quickly. It also contributes to the higher perceived recoil. Until some one comes up with something better, I consider an adjustable gas block a must have feature for a competition rifle.

3. The standard bolt carrier is too heavy, requirjng more gas and increasing felt recoil. The AR type 308's greatly benefit from low mass internals and a tunable recoil spring system.

4. Extraction and ejection. This is mostly attributable to springs wearing out quickly. When I got my JP, it would eat an extractor spring every 1000rds. JP has since come up with a new extractor which is stronger and also keeps the spring fresh. Now I change my spring every 3000rds.

In the end, competition and changing military requirements are finaly benefiting the AR style 308's. These days they are leaner, more accurate and more reliable than ever. The variety of muzzle treatments, furniture and optics mounting options are huge selling points for the design.

Fewer options, to be sure, and more expensive, but there are very solid scope mounts for the M14 rifles. Mine wears an A.R.M.S. #18, which, when the scope (Leupold Mk 4) is removed using its Leupold QRW rings, is extremely low and no distraction at all to the iron sights. Sadlack and Bassett also make extremely good scope mounts. Springfield Armory also makes a decent mount. The M14 was designed to have the option of a scope mount, just not a built-in rail like most rifles today. The cast receiver of the Springfield Armory (Inc.) and Fulton Armory versions sometimes need a little fitting on the mount, also; mine didn't. There are also M21 or M25 versions of the M14 available from many makers which includes a scope mount on the receiver itself.

But the AR-10 is definitely going to be the easier, cheaper way to do it.

While M1A's are fine rifles and in many ways superior to the AR-10/LR-308's, the M1A isn't a good choice for heavy scope, simply due to the mounting options for glass.

I'm running an 18" Larue PredatAR 7.62. Not really zenning with it yet, but getting to like it. Whole different ballgame from a .223 for 3 Gun. I have limited experience with other HM rifles. I think I would go with 16" if starting over.

I keep telling myself to do it with one of my FN-49's, especially the Luxembourg model in .30-06. Or the G43? I've got the repro scope for that one.

Glad I'm not the only whose thought about bringing out the old iron. The Mas-49, Hakim and VZ-52 have been collecting dust lately.

I keep telling myself to do it with one of my FN-49's, especially the Luxembourg model in .30-06. Or the G43? I've got the repro scope for that one.

Glad I'm not the only whose thought about bringing out the old iron. The Mas-49, Hakim and VZ-52 have been collecting dust lately.

I can hear them crying in the dark from here. The old girls would rather be used and abused than ignored. Let them out to play!

I can hear them crying in the dark from here. The old girls would rather be used and abused than ignored. Let them out to play!

Don't forget the SVT-40. Now, would the AG-42B Ljungman qualify for HM at 'only' 6.5x55mm?