Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal Optics Rifle

no body

No Ljungmans, no. They occasionally appear at our vintage matches locally, but you need at least .308 for USPSA HM. I'd bring my buddy's .30-06 BAR, but its selector doesn't have a semi-auto, just fast or faster.

• 4 weeks later...

I got into the heavies on the cheap. I bought a used Remington R-25 online for about $800.00 and had my local gunsmith/guru thread the barrel for a brake (another $50.00). The R-25 model seems to weigh a ton (but it's my 1st .308, so what do I know?). It takes the "right" type of magazines too. The factory camo paint job is pretty lame, but if unacceptable, I suppose it could be "can-o-dized".

Forget the M1A. It's a bad ass Heavy Metal Iron rifle but it was never designed for a scope. As for the FAL, I ran one with quite some success for many years. Get a DSA scope mount/dust cover and you're good to go. The trigger will never be as good as an AR10. But they point GREAT and a properly set up will shoot 1 - 1 1/2 MOA. They have a slower mag change but that's not that big a deal.

But let's face it, the JP LRP-07 is the way to go. Great trigger, quick mag change, 1/2 MOA accuracy. There is no better Heavy Metal Optics Rifle at the moment.

There really isn't any reason to not go with a AR-308 platform. Best accuracy, Best trigger, and as good of reliability as any other 308 platform out there.

Kelly, I agree the FAL is a pretty good rifle, for such a new design. :)

Here's the FAL's grandfather- FN49.

411085818.jpg

Edited by Bryan 45

• 3 weeks later...

Just got into Heavy Optics and I'm hooked.

Started with a Aero M5 matched set

Rainier arms 18" barrel

CMMG 15" key mod

LUTHAR stock

CMMG LPK & BCG

Lantac Dragon

ALG Combat trigger

Ran it for the first time at Bushmaster.... few changes I have to make. Going with a more comp style trigger (currently has a ALG combat, but use to shooting a 24c in all my TacOps rifles. Slapped the piss out of the trigger the whole match)

Man that 308 hits plate racks like a freight train. Got a 3 for 1 on stage #6 plate rack.

post-55330-0-38750000-1429952064_thumb.j

post-55330-0-49001300-1429952071_thumb.j

Argentine even (easily distinguishable by the detachable box mag.) I've got an Egyptian 8mm version, stripper clips only.

There really isn't any reason to not go with a AR-308 platform. Best accuracy, Best trigger, and as good of reliability as any other 308 platform out there.

Kelly, I agree the FAL is a pretty good rifle, for such a new design. :)

Here's the FAL's grandfather- FN49.

411085818.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Having some random guy from North Carolina say nice things doesn't mean much, but I'll still say, "Wow! Thanks for that demonstration." :goof:

:cheers:

You are not "some" random...you are THE random guy! I really thank you for the thank you.