Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

another Texas joke

ErikW

A man in Oregon decided to write a book about churches around the country.

Going to a very large church, he began taking photographs and making notes. He spotted a golden telephone on the vestibule wall and was intrigued with a sign which read "$10,000 a minute."

Seeking out the pastor he asked about the phone and the sign. The pastor answered that this golden phone is, in fact, a direct line to Heaven and if he pays the price he can talk directly to God. The man thanked the pastor and continued on his way.

As he continued to visit churches in Washington, Idaho, Utah, Oklahoma, Vermont, New York, and all around the United States, he found more phones, with the same sign; and the same answer from each pastor.

Finally, he arrived in Texas. Upon entering a church in Luckenbach, TX, behold, he saw the usual golden telephone. But THIS time, the sign read: "Calls: 50 cents."

Fascinated, he asked to talk to the pastor. "Reverend, I have been in cities all across the country and in each church I have found this golden telephone and have been told it is a direct line to Heaven and that I could talk to God. However, in the other churches the cost was $10,000 a minute -- your charge is only 50 cents. How can this be?"

The pastor, smiling benignly, replied, "Son, you're in Texas now.....it's a local call."

It's true!

You can't swing a dead cat here without hitting a church. Come to think of it, you're just as likely to hit a liquor store or topless club too...Hmmmm....There's probably a direct relationship between the amount of sin and the number of churches.

;)

Texas and churches.....yeah. They probably have changed (at least I hope so), but when I lived there in the early 80's, there were some pretty strange "Blue laws" still in effect.

You could not buy a mop, or pantyhose, or a Monopoly board game on Sundays, but you could buy beer and wine starting at noon. Entire sections of the grocery stores would be roped off on Sundays.

You couldn't buy a mop of any other cleaning products because they represented laboring on the Sabbath.

You couln't buy pantyhose or lipstick or any other female doo-dads because those were the trappings of harlots, and were excluded from the Sabbath.

And you couldn't buy a Monopoly game or other such entertainment because they represented gambling, and were excluded from the Sabbath.

But you could get hammered on Cold Adult Beverages starting at 12:00.

My ex didn't mind not being able to buy a mop, but the pantyhose and lipstick thing drove her really insane once or twice. I didn't pay her too much mind when it happened -- I just opened another beer. :D

...Mark

ima45dv8

You USED to live in TEXAS and don't still live there???????? WTF??? :P  :D  ;)

Why would anyone voluntarily ever leave TEXAS?  :wub:

No, I shouldn't have said I lived in Texas. To be more precise, I used to live in Houston. ;)

I really did enjoy my time there, though. I can say without hesitation it is the next best thing to being in Georgia. :D

ima45dv8

Employment?

I was in Austin when the tech boom went bust in 2001/2002. I really miss riding my motorcycle in the Hill Country west of Austin; nice twisty roads and nice scenery. That's OK, I returned to Oklahoma and life is good again :D

ima45dv8

Employment?

I was in Austin when the tech boom went bust in 2001/2002. I really miss riding my motorcycle in the Hill Country west of Austin; nice twisty roads and nice scenery. That's OK, I returned to Oklahoma and life is good again :D (except for all of the damned straight roads).

Yep, I originally went there for employment. I was part of the late-70's/early-80's oil boom going on there. It was a great place to be for someone young and making good money. What a jumpin' place! There's liquor store in Houston I should have just purchase up front instead making all those weekly payments. B)

We spent a lot of time up near New Braunfels, Canyon Lake, the Guadelupe River, Austin, etc.

From there I went to Elk City, Oklahoma to work in deep-hole country (wells over 4 miles deep - lotsa pipe). Plenty of fond memories from there, too.

...Mark

Go to almost small Texas town and find the Baptist church. Turn and look across and down the street, there you will find the Methodist Church and Church Of Christ. They build them close together so they can keep an eye on each other.-----Larry

• 2 years later...

Back in the late 60's the Kentucky State Legislature, House and Senate, passed legislation which removed nearly all of Kentucky's "Blue laws."

The Governor vetoed the legislation and when asked why responded "You can't legislate morality!"

Texas and churches.....yeah. They probably have changed (at least I hope so), but when I lived there in the early 80's, there were some pretty strange "Blue laws" still in effect.

...Mark

ima45dv8

You USED to live in TEXAS and don't still live there???????? WTF??? :P:D;)

Why would anyone voluntarily ever leave TEXAS? :wub:

Cuz the only you guys didn't build big enough was a fence to keep y'all in :lol:

Heaven??? Heck, their not even over the civil war yet...haha

You say that like it's a bad thing?

You can't swing a dead cat here without hitting a church. Come to think of it, you're just as likely to hit a liquor store or topless club too...

You say that like it's a bad thing?

Sorry I just got home from the liquor store after leaving the topless bar..... don't mean to repeat myself. :D God it's good to be back home!