Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW race cut on Bomar

Julien Boit

I've seen this a few times on Bomar / Bomar style rear sights.

I was wondering what's the advantage, or drawback over a regular blade ? <_<

Seeing more of the target ?

Any advice is appreciated as I have a spare Bomar on hand and might give it a try.

Thanks in advance.

I have some similarly cut rear sights, personally I prefer an unaltered BMCS rear, some claim faster (for them) sight/target accusitions with a pyramidal shaped rear sight as it does not block as much of the targets (corners of sight are cut on a diagonal toward the notch in the rear sight).

I guess it a matter of personal preferance

had it on my previous sight and went back to the regular style,

I was using a fibre optic front and sometimes I would see the fibre off the corner of the sight and I didn't like that, now I have a narrow black front sight with the regular rear sight and it is a more definite sight picture.

I just recently got my gun back from EGW with this mod. I don't think it really affects accuaracy or speed at all to be honest, but it did fix the wicked ding I had on the left side of my sight, and it also snags a bit less if I catch a bit of it on my shirt or vest(I shoot IDPA too) or something.

• 9 months later...

Tried their cut on a Glock 34 use in IDPA. Those sharp "points" catch and cut anything and everything. Saw no improvement or advantage to them. {But then am not exactly a Sevigny, either?}

Sent sight back after phoning and asked if they could mill a parallel notch at the top of the triangle, which they said they could do. Modified? or replacement sight has barely enough surface flats to call it "notch-like", so no difference, IMO.

Not good for the fast and close and certainly not good for any precision shots at distance in my book.

One in a series of disapointments from them in the last few years.

Supposedly the idea is to be able to see more of the target to allow you to find the next one faster...

Not sure if it works or not..as i am looking for the thing that stands up in the notch..

been told by several GM shooters that they like the mod..guess I do not take advantage of it.

Sorry for the noob question but aren't you supposed to be looking at the very top of the sights, making sure that there is equal space and level with each other?

I would think that it's better to get an unobstructed view above the sights but then I'm not a GM either.

Wow! Not a lot of love for the race cut.

Personally I prefer race cut Bomars. I have the EGW triangle type on my G34 and the round ball mill style on my P14 and SVI --- you can go to the Gallery and search for Bear1142's (?) posts for an example picture.

It's all about the faster transitions and target acquisition. Or at least I think that's what it gives me. :)

Back in the mid 90's Todd Jarret showed me his new rear sight with the corners cut off, like the combat bomar they make today. I liked the idea but I thought if the corners helped why not go beyond and make it a triangle type rear sight. I even had EGW make some of his sights(bomar copy which I dont think he sells anymore) with my new cut so I could sell them. When he quit selling those sights we just stopped selling them but I have always stuck with that type of sight and we now offer it on our custom guns.

Not everybody likes them but many do. The triangle shape draws the sight to the center of the shoot area. If you have an a zone with no shoots on each side the shape will draw the sights to the center. Not to speak of the extra target you can see. You are not guessing where you are in the shoot area because you can actually see where you are. I love it and could never go back to a square rear sight blade.

Here is a pic of one of my guns with the sights cut. They are modified bomars.

Spitfire%20copy.jpg