Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I making the correct choice?

dirtdarte

I have been toying with the idea of playing in both ESP IDPA and SS USPSA with the same gun. I've been trying to decide between a Dan Wesson Valor and a STI Trojan, both in .45. Am I missing anything. I understand they would both be legal and make weight etc..... Which gun would you choose and why? I'm really leaning towards the DW. I like clean lines and simplicity. I'm too old to win anything... just want to have fun. Thanks.

I do not have any experience with the DW, but I do with the STI Trojan.

The Trojan is a very nice choice. As with any firearm personal touch and some tweaking may be needed. It does make weight and fit the box. It's accuracy and feel is also extremely good.

If you choose the Trojan I would go with a 40 S&W and use the Tripp Cobra 10mm magazines.

Just my opinion on the Trojan. Good luck with which ever you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Durtarg

There is no comparison between those two pistols. The DW Valor by a mile. No cast or MIM parts. The Trojan is a cast frame, not forged. Many of the important parts are MIM. Not so on the Valor. All the parts DW makes are from billet. He cherry picks the other parts from good suppliers like EGW.

If you gave me a Trojan for free, I wouldn't shoot it. I'd give it to someone I didn't like.

I have been toying with the idea of playing in both ESP IDPA and SS USPSA with the same gun. I've been trying to decide between a Dan Wesson Valor and a STI Trojan, both in .45. Am I missing anything. I understand they would both be legal and make weight etc..... Which gun would you choose and why? I'm really leaning towards the DW. I like clean lines and simplicity. I'm too old to win anything... just want to have fun. Thanks.

you are better off shooting CDP in IDPA with a .45. It will be the same exact setup (as long as you dont use a big mag button) as SS.

Technically, you can shoot a .45 in IDPA ESP at 125 power factor, but you are limited by the gun having to fit the box, and with that, you are still limited to 8 rounds, and ESP mags are allowed 10 rounds, so that would not be ideal for you..

Just shoot IDPA CDP and USPSA SS (if .45)

If 40, try to get the 10 rounders to work and make sure it fits the box - you can run .40 minor in IDPA ESP and minor 10 rounds or major 8 rounds in USPSA Single Stack.

Both pistols would serve you fine. But the DW Valor is by far a superior pistol. Likely the best 1911 for the money today, in my opinion. And while it is surely your choice, the advice provided above to shoot CDP in IDPA and SS in USPSA is sound. Good luck in your choices, and have fun.

If you gave me a Trojan for free, I wouldn't shoot it. I'd give it to someone I didn't like.

Somebody please give zzt a Trojan. I'd happily make him not like me if I can get one for free.

As to the OP's desires, I think either will serve him well. But he may want to rethink the choice in caliber and which IDPA division. Or go Fo-tay

I've owned a DW Heritage and currently own an STI Trojan both in .45. I agree the DW is a better built pistol but it's not like the Trojan is junk. Maybe after 75,000 rounds you may see a difference. Both ran great and when it comes time to pull the trigger they both shoot were you point them.

I would stick with the .45 too. Just my two cents.

Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions.... As far as divisions for IDPA.... thanks for that suggestion. Makes perfect sense. Now to research magizines etc... There is so much info out there for the 1911 that for a relative newby to the platform, it can be overwhelming. Thanks so much for the help.

You will probably gets lots of advice on 1911 magazines. Wilson Combat and CMC Power Mags have always been outstanding, in my experience. Don't buy a whole bunch of one brand until you are certain the work in YOUR new 1911.

I love my trojan. I did replace a few mim parts. Mag release was one that have me problems. Aside from that, i have 30k rounds and countless hours of dryfire out of mine with almost no issues. Mags are always the issue. I run wilson ETMs and have had very few issues. Most were caused by gunk and sand in them. Every malfunction the gun has had (7 total) has been caused by either my failure to case gauge ammo, or running tripp mags before i got the ETMs. DW sure do cost more though ;). I have had more failures per round with glocks than i have had with my trojan.

I have both Dan Wesson PM9 and Trojan in 9mm. I agree the Dan Wesson is a better gun right out of the box between these two.

Another consideration would be an STI Eagle in 40. You'd have the magazine capacity for USPSA and could down load the 40 to minor power factor for IDPA. It would be an ESP gun for IDPA so unless you wanted the option to shoot the .45 in CDP in IDPA you could have a pretty good compromise gun in the 40 Eagle. Bad news is the Eagles are quite a bit more than the others.

Also 40 is a little cheap to buy or reload over 45.

Edited by shotgunone

Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions.... As far as divisions for IDPA.... thanks for that suggestion. Makes perfect sense. Now to research magizines etc... There is so much info out there for the 1911 that for a relative newby to the platform, it can be overwhelming. Thanks so much for the help.

I suppose you could do the one-gun-to-rule them all, but what fun would that be?

ESP: go with a 9mm. What little recoil there is, is stupid soft

CDP: you're pretty much locked into a .45 for this division

USPSA SS division: you have some choices ranging from 9mm (minor scoring but can load 10 rnds), to .45 (major scoring) or .40 with the option of loading for major or minor depending if you dress left or right...

9mm mags: you hear good things about Dawson, Metalform, Wilson, or Tripp.

.45 mags: I've had good luck with Wilson and Tripp

.40 mags: For max flexibility, get the Tripp 10mm System or Corey mags. Those hold 10 or 9 rnds of .40 respectively and both fit the IDPA/USPSA box. Look for those mags on Shooter's Connection or call Tripp to order (not on their website).

I think you are on the right track with a single stack in 45 ACP. It is easy to load for and fun to shoot. If you buy the rest of your gear to follow IDPS CDP class rules, you can use the exact same equipment for USPSA SS. If you add a few more mag pouches and some 10-round mags you could also also shoot Limited 10 in Major or Minor.

I'll second the opinion on not buying a lot of one brand until you see what works in your pistol. MadBomber thinks Tripp mags are the best. They are certainly well made, but do not work in my pistols. They hang too low and will not strip the first round from slide lock. I use Wilson ETM mags, because they are very well made and they work. If you need 10-round mags for 45ACP, I think the Wilson 47D mags are the best IF you change the follower out to the Tripp follower.

Depends on which division you're set on for IDPA - and which you consider you're "primary" game.

IMHO for USPSA SS .40S&W is optimal. You can use 9-10rnd mags that fit the box so barneying is easier, you can setup the same load to work in a 2011 Limited gun, and if for whatever reason you fail to make major at chrono you can start loading 10 rounds into your mags afterwards and recoup at least a small advantage. Plus .40 brass is an order of magnitude easier to come by.

You do have to shoot ESP in IDPA with .40 though, so if you're set on CDP then go .45 for both.

I went .45 for Single Stack myself with a Spartan and I regret the choice. Eventually I'll probably sell that gun to fund a .40S&W Trojan.

FWIW in my Spartan .45 Wilson ETM's have performed the best for me.

I own a Trojan in 45. It was gnats ass accurate out of the box.

The barrel broke within a couple of years, STI replaced it.

I replaced all the parts; the rear sight pin broke numerous times. I think the only stock items are the frame, barrel, and rear sight.

The Trojan will runs out of the box. In the end, you will eventually replace everything. So pay up front or pay later.

All my other SS are in 40 S&W. I much prefer the .40 to the 45.

I have a STI Trojan in 40 and I absolutely love the gun. I also have a Dan Wesson custom shop built 40 S&W and I'd honestly part with that before the Trojan. Both will take some work, filing, etc. in my experience to fit your hand and work absolutely perfect. I'm also not a fan of stainless framed 1911s though.