Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Classifier - First Time advice?

tank69

I plan on doing my qualifier in the next few weeks, any advice? When I practice, I usually do the classifier 2-3 times, my times drop significantly as I am more relaxed. Maybe some deep breathes and mental work prior would help? Any pre-shooting rituals you care to share?

Tank

Tank

The only advice I can give for IDPA is points. Shoot points.

Knowing you shoot at Rio and also knowing the talent of the shooters that are there recognize the fact that what looks like a great run may not be. It can not impact yours.

Shooting Rio is like shooting a State Championship in most States from a talent level standpoint. Maybe better. Shoot your game and drop in a bunch of points - that will best represent your ability.

Come to think of it - adopt that philosophy for IPSC there too. You'll go far. I suspect you'll find that TGO focuses on points at the matches there too - he just gets them really, really fast! :o

JB

The secret to the classifier isn't to go hell-bent on speed, you have to slow down a little and try to drop as few points as possible on the first 2 stages. Doing so gives you alot of extra time for stage 3. Shooting a Master Classifier isn't that hard to do, you just have to get good hits. No mikes and NO -3's on the first 2 stages are critical.

Do whatever it takes to make the head shots - because whatever it takes won't be more than the 2.5 seconds they are worth.

Most beginning IDPA'ers die on Stage 3, putting shots off paper that they just can't believe. Aiming is important here. I personally believe that a reload with retention on the first string is about a second faster than a tac reload, for me. I haven't thought about the second string too much - I usually do a tac reload for that.

Shoot for those points! Don't miss those headshots, whatever you do.

The key is stage 3 - I made my biggest single improvement by really understanding what kind of sight picture you need to make those 20yd shots. You really have to shift gears. Close one eye, front sight focus, squeeeeze, repeat. Don't underestimate the shot difficulty on that stage. If you can ace stage 3, and get out of stage 1 and 2 without any real mistakes, you'll be in great shape.

- Gabe

PS: Relaaaaaxx :)

I usually tell new shooters on stage 3 to put their front sight at the neckline of the target since a lot of folks drop their hits into the -1 and -3 below center. I started doing it and it made a big difference. Of course a good sight picture and trigger press will do the same thing.... :rolleyes:

Jerry

J1b - Yeah, Rio has some talent and I just sit there "jaw-dropped" thinking "damn, I wish I could shoot like that". BTW, have we met?

9x45 - I try not to sandbag, only when i'm trying to get a 9-ball game. ;)

Scooter - Got it and it's worth the cash

COF - That is going to help me quite a bit, I usually have 2-4 misses on that last stage.

Everyong else - Thanks, there is some GREAT advice here!!! B)

During your regular dry fire practice (everyone dry fire practices, right?) setup the classifier in your house and "shoot" it just like you would on the range. Use 8" paper plates for targets. Make everything identical (magazine swaps, mental prep, ammo management, etc.)

Since the classifier is several short strings of fire that require certain mag capacities, plan what mags to use and where you are going to top off mags. Nothing breaks your concentration or rythm worse than wondering if you have the right number of rounds in your mag.

The classifier is also a group of specific shooting techniques. Dry fire practice each technique until it's smooth (not fast, just smooth). If you have a timer and can time your techniques, you can add up all your splits and estimate what your classifier score will be (minus points of course).

snip --- Use 8" paper plates for targets.  --- snip .

Boom Boom has some great ideas but I would suggest that instead of the plates, you dry fire with IDPA targets at the actual distances if you have the room or with miniature targets if you don't. Also, Matt Burkett has some nifty little on line dry fire drills if you want to risk shooting your computer monitor. <_<

Try to tank it completely! That way you can hang out in MarksMan until you win a major match... Unlike USPSA, there is no 'rolling' classifier, nor a system to track it.

There is a tiny bit of truth in the above statement. Some expert class shooters I know can't post a score in a state match that would win sharpshooter class. The same goes for a few master class guys that I know. Their scores usually make 4th in expert class.

Take the advice given here. Shoot to your honest ability and then shoot big matches until you get moved up. I believe that grandbagging the classifier will eventually cause you to loath seeing your score in big matches.

I doubt we've ever met.

I used to shoot Rio quite a bit - but I live in AR now and don't get out there much.

I am a 9 ball freak though (play about 4 times a week) and I love to shoot IPSC so if we do ever meet we'll have some things to do!

JB

Points are where it's at. Shoot with the goal of only having 10 points down total (which is lenient, I'm more inclined to say 5 or 6).

Jake, you suck. 5-6 Wish I could do that on stage 1. :lol:

Although I don't agree with tanking the classifier just to be classed lower at a match, don't practice the classifier just to move up. We have far too many shooters that have practiced and moved up just to find out they can't compete at teh higher level. If you are consistantly winning or placing near the top in your current classification, then it might be time to think about moving up.

I would not shoot it more than once or twice a year. If you are parcticing just to move up, you probably are not ready. Practice for the matches and the classifier will come on its own.

Scan Dog

I disagree..I used to shoot parts of the classifier at each practice....especially the barricade stages...good practice...the rest of it is too easy...just shoot it cold a time or two during the yr to be certain you have it down.... ;)