Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ75 Tactical sport-guide rod

joeg

I just bought a TS 9mm few weeks ago and started to do the normal upgrades. I contacted a well known gunsmith down south to buy a steel/aluminum guide rod. The person I talked to was very knowledgeable but seemed to disagree with this particular upgrade. He said, part of the soft shooting feel I get with the gun is partly due to the factory guide rod when the gun comes back into battery. Talked me out of getting one. I want to know from those who have replaced their factory guide with a steel one....do you notice any difference in feel? I know what a guide rod/spring does and the 9mm is already soft shooting. Id like to know from anyone who have one of these pistols and made the upgrade... notice any difference?

I have about 5000 rounds through my TS in 40 and like the plastic guide rod. Just had to replace it Friday. I run a plastic one in my Shadow too. They get pretty chewed up and I think they protect the gun from undue battering and make them shoot softer, but that just may be me. The end that contacts the frame takes the shock and is flexible unlike a steel one.

Edited by mgardner

I am curious why he would think a flexible guide rod would contribute to soft shooting, it makes no sense at all but I would like to hear his rationale.

according to him-in a nutshell- it cushions the blow when the slide goes back to battery after being fired...

I agree. I've tried both. There is little difference between them. I would argue for reliability the plastic rod is probably best. It's very hard to break. If the gun somehow got hung up on the steel rod something would likely break.

Sure there is probably a small cushioning effect when the slide hits the head of the plastic rod. You can add a shock buff on the steel rod but it's one more failure point and it can cause short stroking and failure to lock back on the last round.

The main reason people wanted steel guiderods is the look and the weight. the TS is already plenty heavy up front with the full dustcover.

They are certainly cheap so you can try one if you like. I've run both and don't really have a super strong preference.

I've been wrong before, but I think there's a little misinformation rolling around in this thread.

I've played with these guns pretty extensively and I believe unlike a 1911, the guide rod is not impacted at the rearmost slide travel. It certainly could if the recoil spring is too long and goes solid before the full stroke is achieved, but if you cycle the slide with no guide rod/spring, you can get a clear picture of where the slide impacts the frame. A buffer rests between these two pieces of metal, but also shortens the stroke.

The TS is heavy which is one of the things i like about it. I just assume keep the factory guide rod over getting a steel if their is nothing to be gained except looks. I certainly dont need anymore weight on it. Will see what the guide rod looks like at 5k rounds...im halfway there already.

Well Instead of Guide rod- I use the SPRINCO RECOIL reducer ( you can feel the difference quite " right away")

I'm getting a TS 9mm in a week and was wondering about those. Isn't that the same as STI's Recoil Master?

Tell you what:

I used both SPRINCO and DPM in 40 SW and I loved SPRINCO. In the 40 cal I used factory ammo of magtech, S&B, Winchester and I loved the most- MAgtech 40B with Sprinco

At the TS 9x9 I used only DPM with medium spring ( you get a kit of 3 when you buy it)- loved it right away. USed factory ammo of 6 differnt brands and loved the most- CCI/Blazer

Tell you what:

I used both SPRINCO and DPM in 40 SW and I loved SPRINCO. In the 40 cal I used factory ammo of magtech, S&B, Winchester and I loved the most- MAgtech 40B with Sprinco

At the TS 9x9 I used only DPM with medium spring ( you get a kit of 3 when you buy it)- loved it right away. USed factory ammo of 6 differnt brands and loved the most- CCI/Blazer

Arg now I don't know... I shoot 9mm but my gunsmith advised me against it. Induce malfunction apparently.

I tried the sprinco and didn't care for the recoil impulse, the effect of the dual system was small and that which I detected, I didn't particularly like. Even if I did like it, it's a fairly insignificant effect when compared to the cost.

Are you my gunsmith?!

But yes... that's my other expert's sentiment...