Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Outrageous shipping charges

Waterfowl-widowmaker

These days with online merchants cutting their margins so slim to compete with each other the shipping department has become the primary source of profit for the company. I have a local manufacturer and purveyor of gun parts here in town (20 miles) who refused to let me come pick up a part in person, who then proceeded to charge me $8.00 to mail a small part across town (guide rod). Never again.

What's with trying to charge someone $18 shipping for an item that weighs less than a pound and arrives in an envelope. It's not like they are overnighting it.

I have noticed a lot of places use "shipping and handling" to gouge people and fatten their bottom line. Amazon is famous for it. What ticks me off is most places illegally charge sales tax on S+H too which tacks another 9.5% on top. Whenever I order anything, I check the S+H charges before placing the order and shop other online stores to get the best deal.

Amazon's scam is you pay for Amazon Prime to get "free shipping" and then each vendor simply jacks the price up to cover S+H if they are "prime".

Edited by bountyhunter

I placed an order for a couple of slide stops and a polymer basepad (probably less than 3-4 oz.) and checked out online. (Not a vendor here but definitely one of the more popular shops.) Shipping was something like $7 and I thought it was acceptable. I receive the order and there is another $6 charge for shipping. Won't be doing any more business with them.

What's with trying to charge someone $18 shipping for an item that weighs less than a pound and arrives in an envelope. It's not like they are overnighting it.

I have noticed a lot of places use "shipping and handling" to gouge people and fatten their bottom line. Amazon is famous for it. What ticks me off is most places illegally charge sales tax on S+H too which tacks another 9.5% on top. Whenever I order anything, I check the S+H charges before placing the order and shop other online stores to get the best deal.

Amazon's scam is you pay for Amazon Prime to get "free shipping" and then each vendor simply jacks the price up to cover S+H if they are "prime".

I have to say I disagree with you greatly in regards to Amazon. Prime is an amazing deal and I often get the BEST prices on amazon with free two-day shipping.

I just bought a Weider power tower workout setup, thing weighs 88lbs and came with free two day shipping for $129. Can't beat that.

I literally stopped even checking Midway's website due to their outright ridiculous shipping charges. A set of Lee dies was $18 for shipping...

Often I find Amazon or Ebay to be the cheapest places to purchase gun stuff when you have shipping and all other expenses factored in.

Edited by nitrohuck