Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 loading speed

I just glanced at an older post where someone claimed they were loading pistol at a rate of 1000 rounds per hour.

Can someone explain the logistics of this feat to me......I'm using a 650 with case feeder .....do you preload all your primers and dump them?.....I get the part of monitoring your powder and cases.......but this rate seems really above my ability......

Loading primers seems to be a time killer for me ...plus I will load 100-200 rounds ...take a break and guage them and give then a once over.....breaks up the monotony a little.....any input appreciated ....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I upgraded to my 650, from a Square Deal, around Christmas time so I'm still new with this press. Here's my advice:

-Have at least ten primer tubes and load them all up first

-I use the bullet tray on the left side with the open case of bullets right underneath it. Need more in the tray, the rest of them are right there.

-Powder will generally only need topped off once in 1000 rounds for me.

-Separate and lightly lube brass in Akro bins, stacked and waiting to get dumped in the case feeder when ready.

-Prepare an extended chute so completed rounds collect in a larger container that doesn't have to be emptied, OR use the empty Akro bins described in last step.

-Spent primers travel down a tube that dumps in a bucket under the bench so I don't have to worry about collecting the spent primers.

All that said, I don't try to set a record for speed. I generally average 8 minutes or so when bulk loading, but I don't rush at all. (No bullet feeder at this point).

If I hurry, what would otherwise be a minor hiccup (primer doesn't cooperate, case doesnt get fed into the shell plate all of the way, bullet seats crooked, etc) seems to become more of a pain in the ass.

Edited by AJE

Yep load 10 primer tubes, lube brass and have it on standby, full powder hopper(since I'm dropping almost 8 grains of powder it goes pretty quick so I sometimes leave the funnel in the hopper and fill it too). I put a bullet feeder on mine as well. Once I get to the point of just pulling the handle I can easily load 100 rounds in 5 minutes or less but cruising speed is about 100 every 7 minutes or so

There also is a difference between loading 1000 IN an hour and loading at a RATE of 1000 per hour. On my 550, I have timed myself before and have loaded 100 rounds in about 7 or 8 minutes. That's a RATE of 750-850 rounds per hour. It is certainly not sustainable and to be conservative, I'd say 400-500 an hour is much more realistic for me if I'm taking my time and just plugging along.

Having everything prepped in the way of primer tubes, bullets, brass and powder helps as does an auto-progressive and extra accessories like a bullet feeder. An upgrade in on my wish list one of these days...

This is a video of one of my 650's loading at a rate of around 1200/hr. As long as you didn't take more than 10 min topping of the case, bullet and primer feeders, you could get to 1000/hr.

I have loaded a 100 on the machine in as little as 3.5 min too, a rate closer to 1700/hr.

I have never gotten close to that speed. Loading the tubes should be included in the time as well as the filling of the feeder and powder. Too load 1000 rounds in one hour would require a cycle of the handle every 3.6 seconds. While that RATE is possible it is not sustainable when we factor in powder checks, primer tube fills and so on. I can load primers in about a minute with my vibraprime. That costs 16.6 rounds of time....... every 100 rounds of output. Loading ten up before we start does not make the time disappear. Every other task is also included. Loading cases in the feeder, taking the machine cover off, filling the powder measure, checking charges, case gauging and so on.

Don't take me wrong. I am not knocking anything said by others. The machine is fantastic. It pumps out ammo at a great RATE. Do not be discourages when an hour later ,total, you have 5-700 rounds of perfect custom ammo. IMO you have done well. I would rather have people doing and enjoying that instead of rushing to hit a number and making errors.....

Again. Those like Surge and others with lots of experience and time to load efficiently and error free are out there. Get there at your own pace and do it safely.

I have never gotten close to that speed. Loading the tubes should be included in the time as well as the filling of the feeder and powder. Too load 1000 rounds in one hour would require a cycle of the handle every 3.6 seconds. While that RATE is possible it is not sustainable when we factor in powder checks, primer tube fills and so on. I can load primers in about a minute with my vibraprime. That costs 16.6 rounds of time....... every 100 rounds of output. Loading ten up before we start does not make the time disappear. Every other task is also included. Loading cases in the feeder, taking the machine cover off, filling the powder measure, checking charges, case gauging and so on.

Don't take me wrong. I am not knocking anything said by others. The machine is fantastic. It pumps out ammo at a great RATE. Do not be discourages when an hour later ,total, you have 5-700 rounds of perfect custom ammo. IMO you have done well. I would rather have people doing and enjoying that instead of rushing to hit a number and making errors.....

Again. Those like Surge and others with lots of experience and time to load efficiently and error free are out there. Get there at your own pace and do it safely.

Depends on how you look at it. I'm prepping when I'm loading primer tubes and lubing empty cases. Do you include your total time of cleaning dirty brass also?

When I get to the 650, I'm loading.

There also is a difference between loading 1000 IN an hour and loading at a RATE of 1000 per hour. On my 550, I have timed myself before and have loaded 100 rounds in about 7 or 8 minutes. That's a RATE of 750-850 rounds per hour. It is certainly not sustainable and to be conservative, I'd say 400-500 an hour is much more realistic for me if I'm taking my time and just plugging along.

Having everything prepped in the way of primer tubes, bullets, brass and powder helps as does an auto-progressive and extra accessories like a bullet feeder. An upgrade in on my wish list one of these days...

+1. People exaggerate. No one counts refilling primer tubes or checking powder weight occasionally or clearing the occasional problem. I don't stress about it. I just load at my own rate. I always seem to be able to find 10-15 mins and crank out 100 rounds. Do that a few times a week while daydreaming about shooting and I never seem to run short on ammo.

Depends on how you look at it. I'm prepping when I'm loading primer tubes and lubing empty cases. Do you include your total time of cleaning dirty brass also?

When I get to the 650, I'm loading.

BillD I do look at total time. Any operation required to produce what I need to make rounds should be included. That is the amount of time I will spend away from other activities to accomplish my task. If I process brass I try to do it in large blocks. It takes a few minutes to load the case cleaner but if a can clean 1000 plus at a time it is minimal overall. I do not count the time the vibrator is running because I do not sit and watch it run. ;)My personal time checks were done using clean, de-primed and roll sized brass that I buy in bulk.

I won't even get into the time it takes to make rifle ammo.

I only have 5 primer tubes at the moment, but with those filled and just going at an easy pace it takes about 45 min or so to load 500 rounds from the time I sit down and start to the last round comes off the press. I don't hurry, I turn on The Blaze Radio and go.

Don't worry about how many you can do in an hour. It isn't a race. You don't get any time deducted from your stage times if you reload more per hour.

Just aim for consistency, and smooth operation. If you have that, you will crank out rounds fast enough.

Well... we have to argue about something :devil:

Edited by AJE

Don't worry about how many you can do in an hour. It isn't a race. You don't get any time deducted from your stage times if you reload more per hour.

Just aim for consistency, and smooth operation. If you have that, you will crank out rounds fast enough.

Well... we have to argue about something [emoji317]

No we don't!

I believe you could get to 1000 rounds per hours on a 650. In reality, I consider the time I'm "pulling the handle" to be about 50% or less of the total time to get ammo "out the door". The rest of the time is cleaning and inspecting brass, loading primer tubes, getting components ready and then inspecting/boxing the final rounds.

Here's my 650 running some 9mm... I'm loading at a leisurely pace and even at this pace it would probably amount to 1000 rounds per hour if I didn't have any malfunctions or interruptions. Again, the reality is that there's generally a minor malfunction that slows things down and most of the time is spent doing things besides pulling the handle.

Thanks to all for the input.....several observations :

One must have a bullet feeder to haul ass like that .....I do not...but thank god for my case feeder!!!!!!!!

I will pre-load all my primer tubes prior to making my large run.

I will also figure a way to hold more finished product in a bin as opposed to the factory smaller one

Everything else I think I got prepped prior to going to work...

That being said...I will still recheck powder loads on a random basis and also measure total bullett specs. randomly as well.

Thanks to all for making me smarterrer...........I think !!

The way I achieved a high load rate was very simple. When my daughter was growing up I paid her a penny per round of 38 super loaded. She would load primers, powder, and was also my case feeder. She would keep everything full while I would set the bullet and pull the handle. We could load 1000 in an hour. She made $10.00 for and hour of work and we were both happy.

Now she is 32 and for some reason I can't convince her a penny a round is good. I'm back to about 500 per hour if the press is working.

I will still recheck powder loads on a random basis and also measure total bullett specs. randomly as well.

I check them all using the powder check die and put witness marks on the die/tool head so anything moves from where it is set and locked down, it is obvious.

Edited by jmorris

I will also figure a way to hold more finished product in a bin as opposed to the factory smaller one

Thanks to all for making me smarterrer...........I think !!

I don't like using large bins. Especially if you are trying to go fast. If you run out of primer or powder, or have some random quality problem, it is a lot nicer to have to sort through 100 cases vs sorting through 600.

Imagine your seating die loosens up, and your oal drifts too high. How many cases do you want to sort through and measure?

an out of powder and you drop a squib round in a bin of 400.