Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bring a OPEN gun into CA for match.

tsaijimmy

I am plan to shoot the gold bullet match in CA.

I have some question about bring the OPEN gun to CA.

I ask some question on CALGUNS.net.

someone remind me about threaded barrel.

So i want to ask the open gun with threaded barrel with compensator is legal in ca?

Thank for your reading.

I'm no expert, but I do live in Nor Cal and shoot open. Whenever I shoot a match out of state, I just take my mags apart when re- entering the state so I only have " parts " and not importing high cap mags. I think you should be fine. Just my 2 cents

So i want to ask the open gun with threaded barrel with compensator is legal in ca?

Cal. Penal Code §12276.1.

(a)Notwithstanding Section 12276, assault weapon shall also mean any of the following:

(4)A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A)A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.

http://www.oclaw.org/research/code/ca/PEN/12276.1./content.html#.VNVHhd-tvqA

One could assume as long as the comp is permanently attached ;) you'd be good to go, but anyone who shoots Open in CA can attest to the lack of knowledge of and/or will to prosecute based upon the above statute. We behind enemy lines tread lightly all the same.

My best advice is to keep everything locked up in a case in the trunk (or out of sight), do the speed limit, if for some crazy reason you get pulled over, just be polite.

If you do all these things you will have no problems.

And seeing as the GBC is at my home range (that a small bunch of people have worked very hard to improve) I hope you come shoot and enjoy yourself!

Your threaded barrel makes the handgun an Assault Weapon. Your large capacity magazines have NO exemption in the law, even in parts (as of 1-1-14). There can be a competition exemption for a non resident for the assault weapon, but not the magazines. Is it worth the risk for a few possible felonies? Up to you.

Telling someone they will have no problems if they are nice isn't true. You can't account for every situation. What if you get in a car accident? Get pulled over for a mistaken identity?

Permanently attached means pinned and welded or silver soldered. Loctite will not cut it.

Edited by bigcalidave

Yep, I think I'd only shoot a match in CA in singlestack or production if I had a bunch of 10-round mags.

If you decide to risk it, keep everything locked up and out of plain view. If a cop asks if he can search your car, the only good answer is "No officer, I do not consent to a search. Am I free to go?"

Edited by mpolans

Yep, I think I'd only shoot a match in CA in singlestack or production if I had a bunch of 10-round mags.

If you decide to risk it, keep everything locked up and out of plain view. If a cop asks if he can search your car, the only good answer is "No officer, I do not consent to a search. Am I free to go?"

There are many situations that allow for a warrantless search of a vehicle. If you find yourself in this situation, well... USPSA shooting is going to instantly become very insignificant to your future.

Good luck amigo.

There are many situations that allow for a warrantless search of a vehicle. If you find yourself in this situation, well... USPSA shooting is going to instantly become very insignificant to your future.

Good luck amigo.

that's BS. i just went back to Cali for a shoot and brought all my stuff. no hassles. no one cares.

Good luck amigo.

that's BS. i just went back to Cali for a shoot and brought all my stuff. no hassles. no one cares.

yeah I hear ya. Some of us get away with stuff, some of us don't. Just because those laws are retarded and only effect the law abiding dosnt mean they can't ruin your life also on a bad day.

You are up for rolling the dice that's cool. All I'm sayin is that "not consenting to search" is not a strategy I'd use.

But hey, I don't shoot in Kali.

Shoot straight and have fun!

dunno why I feel obliged to say something.

avoid Cal and Guns as that is how they want it.

the laws California has on the subject mag cap assault...

are all well past being on the wrong side of 'constitutional'

I am not a federal judge however so most will tell me that is an opinion.

also I am not willing to place myself in a position of 'having standing' on that matter.

so I repeat my advice. Avoid Ca. and any of their gun laws.

the concept of having standing on such a matter has to be challenged.

there has to be a way to challenge a clearly un-constitutional law

with out having to risk liberties.

miranda

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck amigo.

lol, great advice. You didn't have a bad situation so nobody else will.. smh. People break the law every day and don't get caught, it doesn't make it less of a serious problem.

Good luck amigo.

If situation allowing a warrantless search applies (exigent circumstances, etc), the cop likely isn't going to ask because he doesn't have to and a delay would be unfavorable for him. If he's asking to search area anywhere beyond what he's allowed under Terry v. Ohio, he probably needs consent.

Either way, ideally, don't go to CA with guns, and definitely not with any guns/mags that are against the law in CA.