Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleats?

dafdov368

Welp... this has changed since the last time I looked at it. What do you guys think is gonna change as far as foot gear goes?

Cleats Cleated shoes may be worn so long as the cleats are made from a rubber compound that you can push your fingernail into. No hard plastic or metal cleats are permitted.

The salomons everyone wears are the Speedcross and they are/were legal.. Now the Fellcross were a different story and are now legal, as are Nike Sharks and other shoes with soft rubber cleats.

Edited by Sac Law Man

But you can't wear other gear that isn't "practical for all day wear and concealed carry", a la bullets out. Cleats are the mark of a true "gamer", hahaha. I should know.

But for real, I think this is a good rule and should be enforceable.

It's all part of the game. Some of the folks I've shot with (in IDPA) actually don't even carry concealed. For the most part, you get out of the game(s) what you put in. IDPA, USPSA, PASS etc are all games unless someone is shooting back BUT the folks who shoot the games are infinitely better shooters (in all ways) than the folks who make it to the range once, twice a year.

Yea, yea, a little off topic but it's Saturday morning and my coffee told me to type this. :devil:

It's all part of the game. Some of the folks I've shot with (in IDPA) actually don't even carry concealed. For the most part, you get out of the game(s) what you put in. IDPA, USPSA, PASS etc are all games unless someone is shooting back BUT the folks who shoot the games are infinitely better shooters (in all ways) than the folks who make it to the range once, twice a year.

Yea, yea, a little off topic but it's Saturday morning and my coffee told me to type this. :devil:

My coffee is brewing as I'm typing this. (and I'm somewhat excited, to be honest)

I was just wondering if anyone had some idea on like some kind of soccer cleats that would fall under this rule. I also play in an adult league for kickball and could use them there as too. And yes, this would be a great advantage to have because I'm always falling over when I stop or my feet are running out from under me... anything helps.

I'm going to recommend we ban them where I shoot...of course that's inside on a concrete floor. I can't even imagine the type of skating accidents we would have in there...especially when the floor is damp.

We will also need a fingernail hardness/sharpness tester to make sure no one is using illegal fingernails to test the cleats with. By the way the best way to soften the cleats is with chemical immersion, not heat. It does cause the grass to die and the gravel to discolor, and of course your feet will go numb after a couple of stages but a small disadvantage considering the potential increase in traction.

Edited by Bob Hostetter

I think you should be able to wear whatever shoes or knee pads you want, but must be able to conceal it all from view with your full length overcoat that has the sleeves removed. Patches on the overcoat-vest are allowed, but only below the knee so it can't be a stiffener for the pockets.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was about to point out, who's damn fingernail are they going to use, That's a bit subjective. When they told me NO cleats, I went and bought a pair of BATES boots that were equally as grippy as my cleats. and provided more ankle support.

Glad they are finally releasing the some of the lame rules, they had enforced in the past.

I have a pair of football cleats I wear in the "other" sport. Some of the blades and spikes are tipped with a rather soft rubber but the main body of the spike or blade is of a hard polymer. What would be the ruling then? The tips would pass, but not the body. Would I then be relying on the niceness and subjectivity of whoever was doing my equipment check?

If you painted the tip of those dual-core cleats a green color, then they would clearly fall under the exemption, and you'd never have to worry about it.

Wait, what? Oh, never mind.

I have a pair of football cleats I wear in the "other" sport. Some of the blades and spikes are tipped with a rather soft rubber but the main body of the spike or blade is of a hard polymer. What would be the ruling then? The tips would pass, but not the body. Would I then be relying on the niceness and subjectivity of whoever was doing my equipment check?

8.8.2 Cleats

Cleated shoes may be worn so long as the cleats are made entirely from a rubber compound that you can push your fingernail into. No hard plastic or metal cleats are permitted.