Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Babes With Bullets

kellyn

Debbie Ferns, an active 3 Gun competitor, has authored a book about women in the Shooting Sports called Babes with Bullets. The book is a primer about how to get involved in all sorts of shooting sports. If you know a lady who may be interested in shooting but is a bit hesitant, I would highly recommend this book.

It discusses several shooting sports (highpower, "sniper", cowboy, IPSC, skeet and even .50 cal) and Debbie interviews women competitors in each discipline including the likes of Kay Clark-Miculek, Julie Goloski and Lisa Munson. The book does a good job in demystifying the sometimes arcane world of shooting.

She also has a webpage BabeswithBullets.net. Check it out.

To get on my own soapbox, I personally feel that if firearms ownership is to survive, the shooting sports need to grow. Growing means getting more women involved. Shooting is FUN and we need to do better job of spreading the gospel. this book does that. Self-defense, "tactical" shooting, 2d Amendment issues etc are all valid topics and dear to my heart but I think getting more people out and simply shooting in matches is the key to our survival.

Y'all in Oregon or the regional Pacific Northwest may wish to try http://www.oregonfirearmsacademy.com for several types of basic shooting and defensive shooting appropriate for or geared to female shooters. The Babes with Bullets book was recently reviewed, too, in one of the standard gun mags.

Even though women are still apparently in the minority when it comes to shooting, it still surprises me how many continue to attend the Basic Handgun Safety classes each month at our local indoor range. The female count is always about 25% or so. That's pretty high.

• 3 months later...
Anyone know anything about a Camp that she puts on every year? I would like to have my wife attend next year!

TIA

Manny

Debbie Ferns doesn't run the camp, she herself is a camper - attending camp was the impetus for the book. Kay Clark Miculek is the one who hosts/sponsors ladies camp at her range in Princeton, LA....Info is on her website.

Just out of curiosity, is USPSA fairly female-friendly? My wife went to her first match a few years back when she ran our retail booth at an IDPA state match, and she never made overtures about shooting a match ever again. From what I could gather it was a bit to, er, "tactical" for her tastes. I plan on shooting USPSA Single Stack provisional next year, so I'm wondering if I can get her to go to a match or two will there actually be 1. a lot of non-"tactical" folk and 2. women who would give her a bit o' encouragement?

I had the pleasure of having dinner with Debbie Ferns and her husband one night during the SMM3G this year.

As for USPSA being "female friendly", I would say yes. Every match I've ever been to has treated new IPSC'ers and women the same way.