Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How low can you go with Titegroup?

vfasso

I've been messin' with different loads for Steel Challenge. I'm was wondering how low a powder charge you can use with a 147 plated bullet. My best load for POA and POI is 3.0 grs. at 1.15 oal. I have tried 2.7, and the spend casings just barely clear the gun (M&P 4.25). If I lower the recoil spring weight, will it cycle better, or is that just to low a charge?

On the M&P specifically I wouldn't take the recoil spring below 15 pounds. I haven't played charge limbo with Titegroup, however with Clays I've cycled with 2.6 grains, which is very light. I don't even remember if it broke the 750 feet per second Steel Challenge requirement.

If you are going for Steel Challenge in particular, why bother with the 147s?

After assistance with kind folks here...I laddered my 147's....from 3.0-3.4.........the 3.0 was a diaster in my Limited 34......I'm sticking with 3.3 with Titegroup and 3.2-.3.3 using N231..... It's very interesting to experiment with the effects different powders and loads have on rounds.

I'm having trouble discerning any substantial difference in similar bullets though..........

It's easy to get caught up in the "how low" you can go in search of the most mouse fartiest of loads... sometimes, not worth it.

My minor load used to spit brass out so weakly that, as I transitioned to the next shot, the brass would sometimes be dancing around between my front and rear sights. That is a distraction (slowness) that I don't need.

I'm just playing with 147's cause I have on bunch on-hand right now.... The load at 3.0 is very accurate, but, the gun "feels" better at 3.2 or 3.3. Does that make sense? Thermo mentioned that I shouldn't take the recoil spring below 15lbs. Any specific reason for that? Is it hard on the slide/frame or something like that?

My minor load is 2.9 grains behind a 147 grain bayou bullet. Think it choreographed at 128 pf. But I also use a 13 pound sporting in my Glock 17. With the stock spring I think it ejected about 2 inches from the gun! Hehe

If I remember correctly, my 115 load was about 4-4.3 ish... I haven't tried a light powder charge with that bullet yet. I'll try and get some this week. What difference do you see between the light vs. heavy bullet with the same powder charge?

Load down until your load will lock back your slide on last round. Then add .02 grains. If 2.7 wont lock back but 2.9 does.....Load a bunch up at 3.1 and you should be good to go...

Darn decimal places, always messing people up. :goof:

I don't even remember if it broke the 750 feet per second Steel Challenge requirement.

FYI, That requirement was dropped. If it will cycle the gun you can run it.

I knew that part -- this was some time ago when the requirement was still in force. Since then I haven't been so deep into steel challenge that I've felt reduced power ammo would be worth the effort. I've just been rolling with minor in my M&P. What I'm curious about cycling is if you'd be better off working up a 124 until it cycles or something heavier.

I'm in the process of trying to come up with the ultimate steel challenge load. I have various weights from 95 to 147 (all Bayou's) to try. I need to get to loading so I can see what works best. In a discussion on another forum the general consensus was to just load to minor and shoot one load for all disciplines. Sometimes chasing bare minimum isn't worth the effort.

FYI CLAYS and other large flake powders will bridge and stick in low charges below 3.0 grains unless you put an aquarium pump or something that will keep the powder moving. Just be careful as you will have Poofers and hopefully not chamber and fire another round after......

DougC