Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Polymer Half Life? Can the "Tupperware" get too old?

jkrispies

I have a Gen 2 Glock 17 that has spent most of its 20 year life in a safe, but a year ago I dusted it off and I'm now competing with it as a Limited gun. The round count is relatively low... and round count is how I'd normally judge the "lifespan" of a gun.

Except this is tactical tupperware. Being a safe queen, it's been exposed to very little sunlight, which I suppose is the #1 cause of deterioration, and my gunsafe is in my house, so the temperature variance has been well-controled as well. (I point this out, because I'd think that a Gen 2 G17 that's spent the past 20 years riding in a patrolman's holster has lead a much harder life than mine, even if the patrolman's gun has waaaaay less rounds through it.)

So, does anybody have a scientific knowlege on the lifespan of polymer? I have zero worries about the upper, but should I be concerned about a polymer frame deteriorating over several decades time... simply due to time?

Note that I'm placing this in the Glock section, but the question has application beyond Glocks or even polymer pistols-- there's also rifle and shotgun stocks out there which I'd think this discussion can apply to as well.

Thanks,

J

Edited by jkrispies

Even with heavy sun exposure it would last decades... The flex is nominal on heavily fired pistols, the polymer could crack if you left it outside all the time and ran it in matches every day. But aside from a freakish crack or awful drop, you should be fine for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are literally thousands of polymers, and each can have a variety of formulations even under the same name. Glock polymer is close to a Nylon 6, and while I know what it is, I do not post it for a variety of reasons. Anti oxidants, UV inhibitors and other stabilizers are present in the formulation. High heat and hot water can cause degradation of the Glock formulation, but most other environmental concerns are non-existant.

Creep curves for polymers do not exist past ten years, but there is some that will occur due to sustained loads. The pistol does not have any sustained loads that are significant. As long as the cyclic loads are under the level that causes microvoid formation, no worries. Must models say that microvoid formation kennels are not achieved during firing.

Edited by MarkCO

There are literally thousands of polymers, and each can have a variety of formulations even under the same name. Glock polymer is close to a Nylon 6, and while I know what it is, I do not post it for a variety of reasons. Anti oxidants, UV inhibitors and other stabilizers are present in the formulation. High heat and hot water can cause degradation of the Glock formulation, but most other environmental concerns are non-existant.

Creep curves for polymers do not exist past ten years, but there is some that will occur due to sustained loads. The pistol does not have any sustained loads that are significant. As long as the cyclic loads are under the level that causes microvoid formation, no worries. Must models say that microvoid formation kennels are not achieved during firing.

Crap, them's some big words!

It's funny that you mentioned Nylon 6, because when I originally posted the question I referenced the old Remington Nylon 66 (named after Nylon 6,6) but erased it because I thought it was a trivial comparison.

So basically what I'm figuring out is that I have nothing to worry about with mine-- a 9mm doesn't generate much shock to begin with, and I don't shoot heavy loads. I don't throw it when I lose. I keep it out of the sun and my hot tub. We're good!

Yea, I got the dictionary out to translate what MarkCo said and this is what I came up with....

"There are lots of different kind of plastics that are all different from each other. Glock makes very very good plastic. It has lots of good stuff that makes it good. As long as you don't put it in your wife's microwave, it will still be good. It is good. It is very good. And it is good."

So basically, don't worry about it, its good.... If it helps any to mention, my Gen1 model 17 that I date coded the serial number to be a 1988 production shoots great, and the plastic is holding up fine.

Yea, I got the dictionary out to translate what MarkCo said and this is what I came up with....

"There are lots of different kind of plastics that are all different from each other. Glock makes very very good plastic. It has lots of good stuff that makes it good. As long as you don't put it in your wife's microwave, it will still be good. It is good. It is very good. And it is good.".......

Truth. But your translation lacks pizazz....

As long as you don't put it in your wife's microwave, it will still be good...

DAMMIT!!!!!!

Mark, you're too smart for this forum........ :bow:

Nylon 6.6 is is more durable than the slide. I have cracked 3 slides over the years at the ejection port. You cant wear out a Glock in your lifetime, even at 50,000 rounds per year. And, even if that ever does happen? Glock will replace it!

• 5 weeks later...

The people at Front Sight in Nevada have Glocks as rental guns. Nine months a year they get shot 800 or so rounds a week. The sun is so strong you can get a sunburn on a cloudy day. The instructors talk about round counts above 200,000. They mention rails on the slide failing at the rear, but not near the ejection port, and nothing on the frame. They say they send them to Glock, and Glock replaces the slide, and back in service.

I am a licensed mechanical engineer in the natural gas business, and one of the things we struggle with is the actual life span of polyethylene piping. I know they are two completely different polymers, but have you seen any studies on what will happen to a Glock frame after 50 years? 100 years? Is Nylon 6 close enough to their polymer for comparisons?

A Glock is my main competition and carry gun, and I have definitely "drank the koolaid", but for pistols to hand down for generations I'm not so sure. For a tool to be discarded or replaced after a finite service life it can't be beat. What that finite life actually is seems to be a big mystery though. Any ideas?