Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BEginner, 9mm vs .40

akeefer

Ok, let me have it,

SEARCH THE FORUM, I know I know, but is it still the same?

I'm looking at CZ's, want to shoot production and as many other divisions as possible. Should I get 9mm or .40? I DO reload.

Thanks!

If you are only going to shoot production or a class that power factor does not play a role, then get the 9mm. If you think that there is a chance that you will use it for Limited or something that does have power factor involved, get a 40.

If you are reloading, then it is not a whole lot more to shoot 40 than it is to shoot 9.

Personally, I'd stick with 9mm. If you're just starting out you'll be able to shoot more for less money using 9mm. Yes, I realize a 9mm bullet is only a few pennies cheaper than a 40 caliber bullet but those pennies add up over thousands of rounds (15,000 bullets @ .03/each is $450).

Edited by razorfish

40 major PF for the win!!!!! If you only want to shoot production then 9 will suffice. The 40 is much more versatile. 40 major for limited, 40 minor for production. 40, 140 pf for 3 gun for a good load that knocks down steel. If you have tried 147 9mm and thought it was soft, wait till you try 180 40 at minor PF. It is silly soft even out of a plastic gun.

I want to shoot production and many other divisions. Should I get 9mm or .40? I DO reload.

I'd suggest you stick with whatever you currently have - don't buy anything

until you have spent a season shooting.

See which disciplines you actually want to keep shooting, and how your

current firearms work for you. :cheers:

A year from now, YOU will be able to answer your own question. :surprise:

What about one of each, a 9mm and a .40? :devil:

Yeah, get a .40...for me, it shoots softer (180gr bullet, less powder) with minor load than 9mm. You can always probably get a 9mm conversion barrel later, if you really want a 9mm. On the other hand, 9mm is a little cheaper to shoot than .40

If you're starting out from nothing then .40 would be wise. As for me, I shoot L-10 minor and if I were to purchase another pistol today I'd stick with 9mm. I have 3 reasons that are particular to me.

1. I already own 9mm dies and have a great deal 9mm data collected... And I'm not particularly interested in starting a new caliber.

2. I shoot several disciplines but prefer to stick to a single gun. USPSA L-10 is the only one that counts PF. Because it's only that one game I will eat the penalty since ...

3. If I shoot all A's, I score the same as major. This may sound flippant but look at your club's past score reports. How many of the top 10% are shooting production? I see it consistently at my club.

4. I know I said 3 reasons before but there's a fourth reason-- 9mm is fun!

All of the above are particular to me. If I were starting fresh, though, I'd look hard at .40 instead.

If you want to shoot production, either 9 or 40 will work fine. If you want to shoot other divisions, you probably don't want a production-legal cz. You can only get 14 rounds into a 75b in 40 with mag extension, and the recoil is pretty stout compared to the heavier and higher-capacity guns that are popular for limited.

If you can afford to shoot regularly and compete, you can afford a 2nd more appropriate gun for Limited.

I would just decide which division you want to shoot, and either buy a 9mm shadow for production, or a tac sport in 40 for limited.

want to shoot production and as many other divisions as possible

I'm having a hard time relating to this sentiment :huh:

Why do you want to shoot multiple divisions with the same gun? Each division has different rules, so a gun is most competitive in one division is most likely not the most competitive in any other division.

You say you're looking at CZs and you want to shoot Production, that makes the choice an easy one: the SP01 in 9mm.

Many will argue that 40 minor in Production is "just as good", but my own testing with two Stock IIs, one in 40 and one in 9 shooting 135gr bullets over Clays, it wasn't even close (significantly more felt recoil in the 40). Granted, you can shoot some soft 180gr loads in the 40, but that's really beside the point for you since I've never seen an SP01 chambered in 40.

You could shoot a CZ 75B 40 in Production and Limited 10, but unfortunately that particular model pretty much sucks at everything :sight:

I say if you are starting from scratch, why not get yourself a Glock 35, some more magazines, and just have 2 different loads and you will have a Production, Limited, and L10 gun. You can take the magwell on and off depending on which division you are shooting, and if you are shooting production a 180 at minor is totally silly, like Flash said. The first time I did that, I was shooting a 180 at like 740FPS and thought my gun was broken it is so soft. Only have to stock one bullet, and one powder.

That would be my recommendation.

A .40 is a much more versatile round. It will work for production but also for limited. Why not be able to go up if you decide you want to switch divisions.

But the guns that are good choices for production are very rarely also good choices for limited.

A .40 is a much more versatile round. It will work for production but also for limited. Why not be able to go up if you decide you want to switch divisions.

But the guns that are good choices for production are very rarely also good choices for limited.

?

I would disagree, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with putting a big heavy magwell on a plastic gat and shooting it in Limited. I get 21 rounds at the start of any stage, and I think that the sheer number of plastic guns doing well in production would prove that they are fine there too. Capacity is a moot point in production and it sounds like everyone agrees that 40 minor can be softer than the same PF with a 9mm.

Personally, I don't see the point in all these big heavy all steel guns that soak up recoil from mouse fart minor loads anyway. I just don't think it is necessary at all. They don't kick to start with.

?

I would disagree, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with putting a big heavy magwell on a plastic gat and shooting it in Limited. I get 21 rounds at the start of any stage, and I think that the sheer number of plastic guns doing well in production would prove that they are fine there too. Capacity is a moot point in production and it sounds like everyone agrees that 40 minor can be softer than the same PF with a 9mm.

Personally, I don't see the point in all these big heavy all steel guns that soak up recoil from mouse fart minor loads anyway. I just don't think it is necessary at all. They don't kick to start with.

So would you say that the sheer number of plastic guns doing well in Limited would prove they are fine there? Based on what I've seen RO-ing major matches, it doesn't seem so.

But whatever, certainly a crappy plastic gun *can* work for limited, but once you make it work for limited, it's no longer legal for production, and even if you keep all the correct production-legal stuff and swap out, that still seems like a pain in the ass.

I just think it's inherently dumb to try buy one gun to run multiple divisions. If you can afford to shoot competitively, you probably have a job, so you can probably afford a dedicated gun for each division (if you really want to shoot multiple divisions, and I can't think of why someone would want to water down their effort and training time, but hey, some dudes dig fat chicks, so not everyone thinks like me).

Now it may make perfect sense to use a production gun as an emergency backup for limited, just in case you travel to a match and something bad happens. If I ever shoot a major in limited, I'll probably bring my production gun too, because being stuck with 14 rounds of .40 in a mag is still better than a dnf.

?

So would you say that the sheer number of plastic guns doing well in Limited would prove they are fine there? Based on what I've seen RO-ing major matches, it doesn't seem so.

But whatever, certainly a crappy plastic gun *can* work for limited, but once you make it work for limited, it's no longer legal for production, and even if you keep all the correct production-legal stuff and swap out, that still seems like a pain in the ass.

I just think it's inherently dumb to try buy one gun to run multiple divisions. If you can afford to shoot competitively, you probably have a job, so you can probably afford a dedicated gun for each division (if you really want to shoot multiple divisions, and I can't think of why someone would want to water down their effort and training time, but hey, some dudes dig fat chicks, so not everyone thinks like me).

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. The fact that A TON of people shoot limited with Plastic guns and do perfectly well would seem to say that yes they are fine.

And actually, no. Once it is competitive for Limited it is still production legal, minus the magwell. Guess how long it takes to make my gun production legal? From 140mm mag in the gun to factory mag in the gun, 18 seconds. I just timed it. Wow that was really difficult.

::ETA:: That is assuming you don't have some aftermarket trigger (again, kinda unnecessary in my mind, seeing as how I have a 2.5-2.75 pound trigger that cost me 25 bucks and will ignite any primer I have tried)

Edited by Gooldylocks