Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI DVC Open and Limited guns

Quack

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little too much bling (especially the TiN comp) for my taste but it appears I'm in the minority. I do like that they finally decided to do a decent trigger job, ditch the billboard roll marks and tone down the cheese grater slide serrations. The aforementioned issues made me swear off buying another STI. I look forward to seeing what STI comes up with for a SS gun.

P.S. Please switch to IonBond (or any other durable finish) for your 'blued' competition guns.

Edited by blind bat

Anyone here who might have gone to SHOT show actually handle one of these yet?

Just curious on how fit/finish on this compares to say, the Edge. Kinda wondering if it's similar, or if it moreso splits the difference between an Edge and a full custom.

I'm kinda interested in it but when you start thinking about the #'s - the Edge is $800-1000 away from a custom. This is more like $200-400 away from some builders - a much smaller difference. Trying to figure out if its worth holding it for a custom.

Edited by MGMorden

I could have sworn there are people that posted in this thread that have handled them at SHOT. Might want to look, unless you did already.

Sorry - I must have missed those the first time through. Was just kinda looking for opinions as actually finding one of these in a local shop will be highly unlikely. I'm sure EVENTUALLY I'll run into someone at the range with one but there's no telling how long that might take :).

sorry yes the open gun,anyway I've put down a deposit for one, I've got the GM atm so will do a side by side shot and report back when i get it

Can't wait to hear about it. Did you go 38 or 9?

I've gone for the 38 i would fine it hard to make major in 9 due to the fact we are limited to what powder we have here + i am set up for 38 now

sorry yes the open gun,anyway I've put down a deposit for one, I've got the GM atm so will do a side by side shot and report back when i get it

I've gone for the 38 i would fine it hard to make major in 9 due to the fact we are limited to what powder we have here + i am set up for 38 now

Can't wait to hear what you think of it mick, especially next to your GM. From memory did you used to shoot a tanfog eric custom too?

I just got a price of $4480 (AUD) on the new DVC open gun with delivery quoted as 'late this year'. Have not paid a deposit yet, but am getting mighty tempted. I've already just seen someone sell a trubor with 6 mags for $2500...

The price seems pretty reasonable especially considering the low exchange rate currently form AUD-USD.

Can't wait to hear what you think of it mick, especially next to your GM. From memory did you used to shoot a tanfog eric custom too?

I just got a price of $4480 (AUD) on the new DVC open gun with delivery quoted as 'late this year'. Have not paid a deposit yet, but am getting mighty tempted. I've already just seen someone sell a trubor with 6 mags for $2500...

The price seems pretty reasonable especially considering the low exchange rate currently form AUD-USD.

i haven't had a shoot of a tanfog or eric but i was after one for some time but I've got this on order now,as for the price and waiting time you have a good price and i would think your buying it from the same person as me, mine will be in the first shipment of them coming into australia and should be here in april/may

I checked out the Eric Extreme Open Tanfo at shot. Not even in the same ballpark as the STI. The fit and finish, trigger and overall quality on the STI are a lot better. A LOT better. And the list price on the Tanfo is significantly more.

yeah I don't get the eric custom extreme. it's more than double the price of the old '2010 Eric Gold Custom'. Now the eric gold custom was supposed to be the top of the line tanfo open gun and was supposed to have hand fitted barrel/slide, nicely cut sear and hammer etc. and to be fair some of those guns are a little loose for my taste. Mine is a little looser than I'd like in slide to frame fit but still shoots very accurately and perhaps that extra tolerance is part of the reason they are so reliable. I have seen plenty of guys with super tight fit 2011's having jam after jam. Now on my eric custom the sear was cut and polished nicely. Hammer was ok. trigger was still a bit long and a bit heavy (mainly due to heavy springs and a few friction points) but it was good.

Now the eric extreme comes along and has a few hundred bucks worth of extreme parts (but they don't have to spend on the factory parts so that's a wash really) but the stuff that matters (comp, barrel, frame) is all still the same. And the old Hard Chrome finish is a nicer and more expensive finish than cerakote. I could understand if it was $300 more than the old model. but $3,000 more for a trigger job, cmore, cmore mount thumb rest and a couple of bits? It's insane.

To be honest it makes the old gold team seem like great value at $2300 for a hard chrome gun. For some reason in the US they come without cmore and mount but that's $400-$500 tops. Buy a few mags and you have a great open gun under $3K. But at $6K for the new one I doubt they are going to fly off the shelves. That's full custom gun territory. I would expect for $6K tanfog would build me my own gun with anything I wanted in it.

It certainly shows how good value the DVC is. $3700 USD retail vs $5800 USD retail. The DVC has many new features and is basically an all new gun. The tanfo extreme has a couple of bolt on/dress up parts and supposedly a trigger job (though they claimed the old eric custom had a trigger job too) and costs a bomb. I really love my tanfoglio eric custom and I really wanted to get excited about the new model but the price is just way too rude.

Dustin - Can you give us a idea when these will be release to the general public - There are all kinds of different stories. Some say end of month - Some say end of March - Blah Blah -

What might you say? ( Released in US )

We are planning to push the first shipment out the end of February beginning of March.