Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New JP Aluminum BCG

IntenseImage

The bodies are fairly straight, if they weren't they would bind in the upper :)

Just having some fun! YES they are solid aluminum alloy with a special bore treatment the rings to ride on, and no I don't know what kind sorry.

Weird. I had a LMOS in my first rifles from JP, back in the early 2000's. 01 or 02? Never wore that one out, haven't worn any of my current ones out either. But I'm not big into practice either. My rifles probably only get 10-15K (and that's probably high) before I sell them off and buy something else new and shiny. As far as the expense, if the rifle saves me one 5 second FTN penalty from a match and that bumps me up a couple spots, it's worth it to me.

I got a chance to see this at a local show. I almost dropped it when I picked it up and I was told it was 3.7oz. I look forward to getting this in with my next build. My current JP rifles don't move with the LMOS it came with and I hear this will be great in ultra light builds as my rifle is 10 lbs and I want to shed 2-3 pounds.

Edited by Solidgun

Can someone tell me why a machined tube of aluminum costs that much? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people making a living and selling things at what the market can bear, I just don't understand the price point. I'm assuming you couldn't make these for $100 or else you would own the market forever selling them for $150, specially if they are a wear item that people would replace every 10-15k, but I just don't understand how they get to be over $300.

I've got about 2500 rounds through one and been testing since August. I've used it in 2 uppers and so far no malfunctions even though I've shot it pretty dirty (although well lubed). I trusted it enough to shoot Fallen Brethren and Blue Ridge with it. The gun definitely cycles faster and is back on target quicker, so fast it takes a little getting used to. I can't say that I shoot it faster than the LMOS but I can feel the difference. So far, I can't detect any "extra" wear and don't know what the life expentency will be. If your shooting was focused around the short course 3 gun nation style, this bolt carrier should seriously be considered. At RM3G, I don't think it will help you so much particularly if your rifle isn't zeroed.

Factory ammo or hand loads?

I shot my ULMOS bolt group when it was fouled, but kept it good and wet... I believe the wear issues have been overcome with better processes, and improved coatings.... I'm looking forward to trying a new version out... It didn't take hardly any gas to cycle the aluminum unit, and keep it locked bag on an empty mag... The volume of gas that was left rushed into the Cooley brake, and made it perform well

Edited by Headworked

I have been running the same JP Alum BCG since 2006 probably have 35-40K without any issues. Been running it lately in a suppressed 300 BO too. Yes, the finish has worn off but it has not created any issues at all. I had 2 and when I heard they were being discontinued I called and got the last 2 JP had...still tucked away in the safe as I have not had a need for them...no need to get rid of them either...

post-6763-0-03960700-1421718771_thumb.jp

post-6763-0-47744700-1421718782_thumb.jp

post-6763-0-46278600-1421718790_thumb.jp

post-6763-0-08227200-1421718802_thumb.jp

Edited by DrawandDuck

By the time you invest in R&D, T&E in both the base design and coatings, it is not cheap. Then when you factor in that someone will knock it off and a bunch of people will buy the cheaper version, it really does make sense. You do realize that a $40K car won't even break the $20K mark to manufacture? The other $20K+ is marketing, insurance, liability, profit and R&D. JP spends the time to engineer, proof and manufacture top quality products, and it ain't cheap. One part I manufactured for an application in another field cost $5 to make the part, but the coating was $73 per part. It was retailed at over $300. It took the manufacturer 3 years to sell enough to pay for all of the R&D.

Anyway, I did a short video so those of you interested in what it is can take a look. :cheers:

https://www.facebook.com/495735763781812/photos/a.589785771043477.1073741825.495735763781812/875865205768864/?type=1&theater

Can someone tell me why a machined tube of aluminum costs that much? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people making a living and selling things at what the market can bear, I just don't understand the price point. I'm assuming you couldn't make these for $100 or else you would own the market forever selling them for $150, specially if they are a wear item that people would replace every 10-15k, but I just don't understand how they get to be over $300.

It's the Ti firing pin. :goof:

The price might seem steep but they really did price it right. Cheaper than the lightest carrier out there by a good margin and it includes a couple bits the others don't. The question is, will Boomfab respond?