Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lasik eye correction

On my 2nd RK surgery on my left eye (RK was done with a diamond bladed knife), the anestetic wore off, AND the scalpel had to be replaced, because it started going dull during the surgery. I could actually feel it cutting my cornea, then pulling it as it went dull!

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can't fix the over 50 problem of not being able to focus close. What I'd like to hear from is somebody who is over fifty and what they think of it in relation to iron sights.

Our section coordinator is over 50 (old coot as he calls it), and had the interocular stuff done along with cataract surgery. He doesn't seem to have any issues seeing the sights on his 1911 or his G17. Uses reading glasses, but nothing corrective when he's shooting.

I myself have never had any surgery done, and although I wanted to at one point, I changed my mind. I'm not sure about my eyesight, all I know is that I'm nearsighted and it's pretty bad.

My English professor is legally blind and has been for a few years now. She suffers from Diabetic Retinopathy and from Cataracts at the same time. So, it would be like looking through incredibly cracked, foggy glass panes. In 1999 she went to her eye doctor and he noticed that there was some damage to her retinas. He told her about Lasik surgery which could possibly fix it, but the risk of her waking up blind was very high. He recommended that she not get the surgery done, and that it was just an option for her. She ended up getting the surgery and when she woke up from it, her retinas had been damaged even more by the lasers and became how she is now.

Every time she goes to sleep, even to just take a nap, she has a 50/50 chance of waking up completely blind. This is because, while a person is asleep, the eyes are still active in what is called (REM) and this puts more stress on the retinas. The result could end up with her retinas being completely seperated from the rest of her eyes, and permanently losing her eyesight.

I've worn glasses since I was eight, and contact lenses since I was fifteen. Although they are a hassle at times, I would rather have to deal with them and be able to see than to lose my eyesight. I don't mean to sound biased, and sway you in a certain direction, because the results are differet for everyone. As for me, I'm not going to take the risk.

Good luck with your decision and I hope things turn out well for you. :)

-Lucielle

Cool story. You'll like this one rhino. On my 2nd RK surgery on my left eye (RK was done with a diamond bladed knife), the anestetic wore off, AND the scalpel had to be replaced, because it started going dull during the surgery. I could actually feel it cutting my cornea, then pulling it as it went dull!

Those numbing drops wear off almost as fast as they start to work! It sucked!

MAN AM I HUNGRY!!!

:P

yikes.gif

shocker.gif

puke.gif

rhino, they don't cut a flap anymore. the new lasers can contour the eye through the cornea.

a co-worker just had the new porcedure done two week ago and she loves it.

If this is the case, I'm down for it in a few years (gotta wait and see if my eyes deteriorate any more... funny thing is since I started shooting my astigmatism has gone away and my scrip hasn't needed to be as strong).

Roughly, 20/400 means that your vision at 400 feet is the same as "normal" vision at 20 feet. Or, things at a normal person's 400 feet are as fuzzy as things are at your 20 feet.

20/20 is "normal" (like that applies around here :lol: )

20/15 is slightly sharper than average. 20/30 is slightly worse than normal. 20/600 is just about blind ;)

Alex

Roughly, 20/400 means that your vision at 400 feet is the same as "normal" vision at 20 feet.  Or, things at a normal person's 400 feet are as fuzzy as things are at your 20 feet.

20/20 is "normal" (like that applies around here :lol: )

20/15 is slightly sharper than average.  20/30 is slightly worse than normal.  20/600 is just about blind ;)

Alex

Thanks for the explanation, Alex. I was wondering about the same thing as Pierruiggi.

Does anyone know if that can be somehow translated into dioptres? Or are we talking two separate values?

Another question:

How long after the surgery did you guys need to really get back to normal life, I mean sit at the computer for 8+ hours a day etc.?

Roughly, 20/400 means that your vision at 400 feet is the same as "normal" vision at 20 feet.

:wacko::wacko:

isnt that backwards? 20/400 means what a person with poor eyesight can read at 20 feet, a "normal" person can read at 400 feet.

Even more to the point: 20/400 means that what you see at 20 feet looks like what a person with 20/20 vision sees at 400 feet.

IOW, yer eyes are sheeit.

Buddy of mine who is a multi-year state champion in highpower got to the point that he was having extreme difficulty seeing at 1,000....even with the heavy glasses that he wore. Had the surgery done, now never uses glasses---not even to read.

There are risks to the procedure, but find the best at doing it and that is where to get it done. Surgery on my eyes or other important parts is not something I want to find a "great deal" on. Good luck.

it's been 2 years since i had my eyes corrected. best money i ever spent. no problems at all. everything went exactly as they said it would. a little pain a few hours afterwards, total vison returned in 2 days, slight fluctuations for 6 months. had to use a lot of eye drops. loss of a little night vison for the 1st year, but that has returned.

i just made sure i went to the best dr i could find. he did tiger woods. why be cheap on your vison.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, went in to have the lasik procedure done, got me all ready and laying under

the laser, and they couldn't get the machine to suction up to my eye, out of over

10,000 procedures this facility had done, I was the first one that couldn't have the

procedure done :( they said my eye was to flat, (I asked if it was from when I was born the doctor slapping my face, and they laughed and said no!!)

so looks like I'm wearing the ol' glasses until I can do more

research on other procedures, maybe a new one will pop up.

Manny

Manny, I'd still look into the interocular lenses replacement. I still think that's the best procedure out there.

I can surely tell which one's are the worst! :angry:

Sorry, I just got back from the IDPA Winter Championship, and I couldn't see a $*@*ING thing! All but three of the stages had low light! DAMN IT! I know, I should've waited until I could see the night sight before shooting....but I'd still be there looking for it! DAMN IT TO HELL!

Phil, I haven't forgot that information you were wanting, I'll get it to you

tomorrow!!! Ya know, the 2 best things about shooting in the dark is

that for 1 it sounds good if your shooting fast, and 2 its too dark for anyone else to see your hits....

Manny

Went to the Lasik Vision Center in Carmel IN saturday. It appears my astigmatizem is to much for them to correct at this time. I have a 3.50 in the left eye. Whatever that means.

I was told to call back in 6 months and check to see if they could do it then.

:(:(:(

• 4 weeks later...

I just went in for Lasik correction yesterday....and I've got a question for anyone who's been through it. Prior to Lasik, I had a slight amount of astigmatism in both eyes. Today I went in for my 1 day follow up and they told me I have some astigmatism in my left eye...and none in my right. I can definately tell my vision is NOT balanced right now..it just feels like my eyes are focusing at different points and its most noticeable up close (and I'm nearsighted...or was!).

So my question is...if I didn't have much astigmatism before...could it be that this astigmatism I have now is due to swelling and did anyone else have their astigmatism go away after time....or did you initially feel a bit unbalanced and have it get better over time. I'm really hoping I'm not going to continue experiencing this because it doesn't feel right.

I just went in for Lasik correction yesterday....and I've got a question for anyone who's been through it.  Prior to Lasik, I had a slight amount of astigmatism in both eyes.  Today I went in for my 1 day follow up and they told me I have some astigmatism in my left eye...and none in my right. I can definately tell my vision is NOT balanced right now..it just feels like my eyes are focusing at different points and its most noticeable up close (and I'm nearsighted...or was!).

So my question is...if I didn't have much astigmatism before...could it be that this astigmatism I have now is due to swelling and did anyone else have their astigmatism go away after time....or did you initially feel a bit unbalanced and have it get better over time.  I'm really hoping I'm not going to continue experiencing this because it doesn't feel right.

Don't sweat it.

My vision took a couple of weeks to settle down. My brother is an Optometrist who does foloow-up on these surgeries. He says it can take up to a month for things to settle down. He said you can catually deform your eye when you sleep (if you sleep on your side or face) and this causes things to shift.

Also the healing process (swelling etc) causes the eye to deform and the vision to be fouled up.

I had some broken blood vessels in one eye (looked kinda like a black eye) and that eye was a little funky until that stuff went away (3 weeks)

Talk to your doctor, etc, but don't be to quick to judge your vision, give it

a couple of weeks.

I had RK done on both eyes and AK done on my left eye in Dec 1994.

I had a Catarac removed from my left eye in Feb 2005.

My vision is 20/20 in my right eye and 20/25 +1 in my left eye. From what

I've been told the Lasik is much better surgery than what I had done over

10 years ago with a knife.

I need reading glasses and did when I had my initial surgery. For shooting

without correction I cannot see the front sight clearly. So I use a low powered

reading type glasses (1 or 1.25, etc) for shooting. I can see the front sight

clearly and the targets are only a little fuzzy. You can only focus on one thing

at a time, but before I started using the low powered glasses both were fuzzy.

I consulted my eye surgeon before going to the low powered glasses and he said

it would work without and problems for my eyes.

However, before I'd just do it I'd talk to my eye surgeon.

I think once your vision settles down you'll be really happy you had the surgery.

B)

thanks guys for the words of encouragement. I'll let it settle for a couple weeks and see where its at. I also have the bloodshot thing going on in my left eye (the one they claim there's astigmatism)...so maybe my left eye is a bit more swollen/irritated.

I tried doing some dryfire last night and it went well...so it looks like I'm back on the road to shooting soon.