Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 loaders how often do you check your powder charge?

formernuke

So far every time I put new powder in or switch calibers I do a every charge for 10 charges until I have the same followed by random weight the case before and after the charge to confirm. I thought I would see what you guys do.

With the standard Dillon knob I checked about every 2-300 rounds because it would turn slightly during use. Since I changed to the Uniquetek micrometer bar I do like you do then just load away. I look at the indexing on it periodically to see if it has turned but it never does.

At the beginning of the reloading session and then, if more than 300 rounds, when I recharge the primers. The way I sit at the reloader allows me to see each charge as I turn the star, so I am not to concerned unless something looks way out of whack. The standard Dillon knob has never turned while I was reloading.

At the beginning of the reloading session and then, if more than 300 rounds, when I recharge the primers. The way I sit at the reloader allows me to see each charge as I turn the star, so I am not to concerned unless something looks way out of whack. The standard Dillon knob has never turned while I was reloading.

same here have over 9,000 rounds and the charge has never moved

I do the same... first 10 loads then again about every 300. I always check at the beginning of a new session and after every 300 rounds or so. I have never had an issue with the charge changing on me. I also have a light shine into the case so I can verify the charge. I will check the weight if is seems odd, but its always been fine.

I've never had the knob drift at any point for me. I have a white board next to my press where I list where everything is set. So I rarely check it unless I'm changing powders. So it gets checked when I switch to making match ammo, and it gets checked when I switch back to whatever powder I'm using for practice stuff these days.

Since I changed to the Uniquetek micrometer bar I do like you do then just load away. I look at the indexing on it periodically to see if it has turned but it never does.

I confirm at the start of every session - though with the micrometer it's pretty much set it and forget it. Mine has never moved and is spot on every time.

Edited by blueeyedme

Since I changed to the Uniquetek micrometer bar I do like you do then just load away. I look at the indexing on it periodically to see if it has turned but it never does.

Yes, it was a very good investment and keeps the charges consistent.

Previous posts are all very helpful. In addition to them, I'd add it depends on the powder.

My powder measurements are all over the place if I just poured powder into an empty powder measure. After 10 or so drops, samples are more consistent. With flake powder like 700-X it takes a twice as many drops if not more to get some consistency. Once I'm satisfied then I'll start loading. I measure every 10 then every 100 during the same loading session.

With flake, I keep at least three quarters full if I can.

Good luck.

I usually throw a few charges at the start, check the weight. If it's good I throw and additional 10 charges to ensure consistency.

Normally don't do very large batches on the 550b, usually around 200-400 rounds.... I check each case before I place the bullet, but don't actually check the powder weight after initial setup.

I got through the same process when I switch calibers, or return to the machines already setup properly with the caliber I intend to reload.

No matter how often you double check the charge weight, you always need to be ensuring powder is dropping before placing a bullet on the case.

~g

I check before I start loading, that's it. I don't load more than 500 rounds in a session since at that point I have to clean the primer system and load primer tubes anyway.

If it's a new load (recently set) I'll check/adj every 100 rounds until it "settles" in against the thread lash/tollerances.

-rvb

With the standard Dillon knob I checked about every 2-300 rounds because it would turn slightly during use. Since I changed to the Uniquetek micrometer bar I do like you do then just load away. I look at the indexing on it periodically to see if it has turned but it never does.

Same here. Several times in the beginning, once at 100, then 500 or so with the Uniquetek. I watch every case to ensure powder is dropped and it is close to the right level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm still rather new on my 550 which I love but like many I check the first 5-10 then every 100 rounds. I'm also set up so I can see in evey case before I place the bullet and would pull any that don't look right.

I'm glad so many of you have mentioned the unitek micrometer, I plan to get one next month.

Edited by JJP161

I'm glad to see I'm not to paranoid with checking my charges. However since I set the 550 they havn't moved at all, almost makes me feel silly checking it so often but I plan to continue doing so.

I'm also looking in the cases prior to placing the bullet as a visual check. And I also only load about 200 per session.

I'm glad to see I'm not to paranoid with checking my charges. However since I set the 550 they havn't moved at all, almost makes me feel silly checking it so often but I plan to continue doing so.

I'm also looking in the cases prior to placing the bullet as a visual check. And I also only load about 200 per session.

I went back and looked at my post, and I should have added that I check mine at the start of every loading session (and if I left powder in the hopper from the previous session, I give the hopper a shake for good luck then run a few for the homies and dump them back in, just to loosen everything up in case the powder has settled), and I too only do about 300 in a sitting. So, yeah, I check at least every 300 as well.

Edited by jkrispies