Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you ever been asked for ID to shoot a match?

Sandbagger123

Humor me on this one gentleman. Have you ever been asked for ID when shooting a match? I have been to a couple of area and section matches and never have.

Let say my name is Jim Robert Smith. its the name i use when i lived in Texas. My # is A99999. I am a master in limited/open and Production. I move to az and register a new name in USPSA and use Robert Smith and get a new #. I shoot the local matches as such and sandbag as a B and classify as such. I register for A2 and other matches a and smoke everyone in my class and above and walk home with a big prize.

So could this situation happen? This is only a hypothetical and have no knowledge of this really happening

Edited by Sandbagger123

Could it? Theoretically, but here's the thing -- unless it's the 2003 Factory Gun Nationals and your name is Matt Mink, some folks will know who you are.....

....of course some folks knew Matt too -- but the question of that match was "who the heck is Matt Mink?" And why is he in contention when he's virtually unknown?

I don't think you get to be a master in this sport without at least some folks knowing who you are....

Yes it could happen but it doesn't seem that likely. What is more likely is that a shooter can sandbag on their classifiers enough to keep their classification below what they are capable of. This can let them win their class and even division on a much more regular basis.

There is one shooter I know who would seem to fit this profile except for one thing - I'm pretty sure he isn't sandbagging. He just sucks at classifiers.

Even for those matches that give valuable prizes to class 'winners' (encouraging sandbagging and poor sportsmanship), it seems to me like it's still cheaper to just buy yourself a prize rather than spend the money on travel, hotels, match fees, ammo, etc....

The kind of person that would cheat to sandbag is probably already fraudulently wearing a military uniform and claiming to be a veteran, standing on a corner looking for handouts.

Some people will do anything to win. As for just buying a prize instead of spending the money to go win something, look at shoplifting. Many people do it when they have plenty of money

so can we agree that sandbaggers are on the same moral level as shoplifters?

Some people will do anything to win. As for just buying a prize instead of spending the money to go win something, look at shoplifting. Many people do it when they have plenty of money

so can we agree that sandbaggers are on the same moral level as shoplifters?
I don't know. A cheater and a thief? Maybe

Nik, you left out one very important stat....Matt is a helluva good guy too...

He is, and once upon a time was a frequent contributor here......

It really was pretty funny at the match when the only folks who had heard of him were from either his local area, or the BE Forums....

IIRC he came in third, as a B class shooter, shooting ~87% of Sevigny's score....

Humor me on this one gentleman. Have you ever been asked for ID when shooting a match? I have been to a couple of area and section matches and never have.

I've been shooting USPSA matches for 20 years, including many Area and state matches and a few nationals, and have never been asked for ID.

Edited by DGS

Look at some of the scores for Single stack nationals. Plenty of c / b shooters in the top 10%.

Some people suck at classifiers, some sandbag, some shoot a ton but never uspsa so they don't have a classification.

To answer your question, I have never been asked for ID.

I've been shooting USPSA matches for 20 years, including many Area and state matches and a few nationals, and have never been asked for ID.

My exact same experience. 'course, I've never been one of those dark horse types that come out of nowhere, and I don't shoot for prizes, but for the experience.

Placement matters to me only as a reflection of my current skill set compared to others, and to the best in the big venues. In that sense, classification is only a measure of where I am, not of what I might win.

You think for liablity you'd at least like to give your true name should something go wrong. I had two guys a local match here this weekend who wrote their last name as "Covert", so yeah.......

I don't see asking for ID but I do see giving your real name.

• 2 weeks later...

Look at some of the scores for Single stack nationals. Plenty of c / b shooters in the top 10%.

Perhaps some of those shooters primarily shoot other divisions and have higher classifications in those other divisions more closely reflecting their actual shooting skills.

Eric

Let say my name is Jim Robert Smith. its the name i use when i lived in Texas. My # is A99999. I am a master in limited/open and Production. I move to az and register a new name in USPSA and use Robert Smith and get a new #. I shoot the local matches as such and sandbag as a B and classify as such. I register for A2 and other matches a and smoke everyone in my class and above and walk home with a big prize.

So could this situation happen? This is only a hypothetical and have no knowledge of this really happening

Sure it is, and sure you don't................